Tucson Dudes...>>

Willie

Established Member
I'm going to be switching to Mobil 1 soon. What weight do you guys use? I use 10w-30 M1 in all my other vehicles including my wife's MPV which calls for 0w-20. Should I use the same in the Cobra?

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
I'm not in Tucson, but I might as well live there with as much as I am there anymore! I use 5w-30 Mobile1 Synthetic. If by chance I can't find the 5-30 I go with 10-30.

Willie

Established Member
The owner's manual calls for 5w-20, so I'm wondering if I should stick with M1 5w-20 or 10w-30. Maybe I'm old school, but 5w-20 seems to thin for our climate, especially in the summer. Opinions?

Willie

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
I know how you feel. There isn't a 5w-20 Synthetic to my knowledge. Usually in the winter I will run the 5w30 and the summer I go to the 10w30. Running straight 50 in the LX :rockon: That stuff is like syrup!

Willie

Established Member
You're right. I stopped at Checker last night and didn't see a 5w-20 so I decided to use 5w-30. The six-pack box was labeled something like "For newer cars" whereas the 10w-30 is a "Multi-purpose...."

Willie

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Just so you know, if you take the car in for service, Jim Click doesn't have a problem with the synthetic oil. I told John I was running it in the car, and he said he would try to get the oil covered under the warranty work for replacingthe drivers side head. They didn't end up covering the oil, but they did put it in for me, just charged me for it.

I have heard of some places having a fit because you are running synthetic oil in the car. They were cool about it.

Chris

Willie

Established Member
Thanks for the info Chris. If I would have know this two weeks ago, I would have mentioned it to Jim Click. You see, I dropped my '03 off for the head replacement and picked it up just last Tuesday. They did change the oil/filter and the previous owner had already switched to synthetic. (I've owned the car now for only three weeks.)

Willie

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
I just got mine back for the head replacement this past weekend (picked it up Saturday.) Who is your service advisor there? These guys have been great with me everytime I go there. I always deal with John since he knows I have to come from NM to have my work done. He is always going out of his way to help me out. Definately a great guy to deal with. In fact I will have to bring it back out to have some more work done. Seems the belt or a pulley/idler is starting to squeak, which didn't prior to them pulling the motor. Also, when they painted the hood, they left paint drips and there is a mark on the cowl portion where it looks like something hit it while the paint was wet. John said bring it in whenever and he will have them fix it the way it should be.

You and I and Rick (AZDropTop) should try and get together when I come back out. Looks like it will be Presidents day weekend. I will get with Rick to see if he is off. We always meet up for lunch or something while I am in town. Great guy to know :beer:

Chris

Willie

Established Member
I just got mine back for the head replacement this past weekend (picked it up Saturday.) Who is your service advisor there?

I think his name is Pete.

In fact I will have to bring it back out to have some more work done. Seems the belt or a pulley/idler is starting to squeak, which didn't prior to them pulling the motor.

What year is yours and what's your mileage?

Also, when they painted the hood, they left paint drips and there is a mark on the cowl portion where it looks like something hit it while the paint was wet.

Why did you need the hood repainted? Did they mess it up somehow when pulling the engine?

You and I and Rick (AZDropTop) should try and get together when I come back out. Looks like it will be Presidents day weekend.

Sounds like a great idea but if it's the weekend of Feb. 18th, friends of ours will be in town from Houston that weekend. I'm free all other weekends.

Sounds like you'll have to leave your car overnight (for the paint to dry). How have you arranged this when you need to leave the car for an extended period? Do you stay in town or head back to Las Cruces? BTW, I grew up in EP.

Willie

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
It's an 03. I've got just over 21,1xx on it now. Usually I come up with a list of things I want them to fix, take it to them, get the loaner car, and head back here until it's done. This past time it was 3 weeks. I had them paint the hood because I was getting those pinholes in the paint which is covered under a TSB. It just looks like the painter did a crappy job. It's a brand new hood because they didn't want to worry about sanding down the fiberglass.
I was looking at coming out Presidents day weekend which is the weekend of the 18th. If this squeeking under the hood gets any worse, I will be out there sooner. Was even thinking about this next weeked. I'll have to wait and see how it does.

Chris

Willie

Established Member
If you can make it next weekend, I'm off Friday thru Sunday. I live right off I-10 Exit 273 (Rita Road) in Rita Ranch. It'd be great to meet you and to talk to someone who knows these cars.

Willie

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
I'm the step child who should be living in AZ! If somebody could find me a job out that way I would be there in a heartbeat! :pepper: :pepper:

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Computer networking for the Govt. Mainly work on Marconi and Fastlane products. Used to be big into Cisco until I went to work for Computer Sciences Corp. Since they pretty much only used Marconi when I got there, I had to learn that. Now that I am catching on, they are switching a lot of stuff over to Cisco, so I have to dust off the Cisco books again :bash:

AzDropTop

Established Member
Chris,
What did you find out from John about the hood? :pepper: Did you guys decide if you are going to do the 19th Pavillions action?

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
He told me to bring it back and they will fix it. Again. I also need him to look at which pulley/idler is sqeaking. It's driving me up the wall. Sounds like a bad belt at times, other times it sounds like a little bird is stuck under the hood.

Not going to make the Pavillions. Saving up for the Coolidge event. Just work a side job yesterday which will take care of the pads, the brake fluid, and getting the rotors turned. Shouldn't be much more I have to do to get the car ready. I will install the new intercooler resivoir, and H/E prior to coming out. I should also have an X-pipe on by then if all goes well.

Chris

AzDropTop

Established Member
Chris_H said:
He told me to bring it back and they will fix it. Again. I also need him to look at which pulley/idler is sqeaking. It's driving me up the wall. Sounds like a bad belt at times, other times it sounds like a little bird is stuck under the hood.

Not going to make the Pavillions. Saving up for the Coolidge event. Just work a side job yesterday which will take care of the pads, the brake fluid, and getting the rotors turned. Shouldn't be much more I have to do to get the car ready. I will install the new intercooler resivoir, and H/E prior to coming out. I should also have an X-pipe on by then if all goes well.

Chris

Sweet! I hoping to pick up Kevin's 17x9 and 17x10.5 AFS cobra replicas by then too. Not sure if I'll have tires, lol, but the rims at least. Talk at you soon.

Willie

Established Member
If you work for CSC, why not consider taking a job with them in Tucson. All our computer equipment is leased from CSC; that's approximately 10k units + and they supply on-site support. I deal with CSC personnel on a daily basis. Want to e-mail me your resume?

Not to hijack my own thread but do you know anyone that's looking for a Lightning? I have one for sale.

Willie

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Ahh this site is always about hijacking threads! Look where we have taken this one already! One thing I would really need to research is how hard it would be for my wife to obtain her teaching license in AZ. She is in her 3rd year of teaching 2nd grade right now, about to get recertified through the state of NM with a $10k increase come August. Surprisingly NM is starting to pay their teachers. Not sure how well they pay teachers in Az, or how hard it would be to transfer her certification. Always something to consider. Let me try and get a resume updated, and forwarded to you. I appreciate the though :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread