TSB Done, clutch failed within 100 miles

bumplime

Established Member
Just as the title states, I had my trans TSB done due to broken synchros, broken 1st and 2nd gear, etc.
My car received a new flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder, trans rebuild kit etc. I noticed when I picked the car up that the clutch peddle was super easy to push, before it had some resistance. When i got the car home (15mile drive) I could smell the clutch. I noticed it slipping on my way to work and then on the way home it was bad, wouldnt hold cruise due to clutch slipping etc. The shifting issues were resolved though.
Dealer is doing the work again. Another new flywheel and clutch.

My question is what would cause this? Is there some miracle or magical way to break the clutch in?
Dealer says that the flywheel has some "boogering up" and 4 heat spots on it.

fullboogie

Established Member
Perhaps improper shimming of the TOB or a bad slave cylinder - sounds like the clutch was not fully engaging.

chuckstang

Established Member
I had the same issue when tasca did mine. Actually happened twice and i figured it was poor install but they blamed the ford parts. Had another dealer try it, still no luck. Then finally a 3rd dealer took a whack at it and everything was fine. imo it was install error.

Users who are viewing this thread