Trying to get to your dying mother at the hosptial? DON'T run into this officer!

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I'm gonna have to agree for the most part with the majority here.

After the initial excitement of pursuing a reckless driver, multiple people exiting the vehicle on you and the other confusion that comes along with it. The Officer could have made better choices after learning the situation.

But in his only defense..if multiple people exit a vehicle quickly on me while I am conducting a traffic stop chances are they will be staring down the barrel of my weapon and getting some very stern verbal commands, Just the way it is.

But like I said after learing the situation, cut the guy a damn break. Quite a few ways that could have gone a LOT better for all.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
I was 50-50 on both sides until I saw the video. When the nurse comes out pleading to you to let him in to see a dying mother in law - you deserve to change jobs. ****ing prick.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Sounds like par for the course for Plano cops.

Care to elaborate on that?

The Officer involved is Dallas PD not Plano. :bash:

Please do us all a favor and read the article and pay attention before commenting. :poke:

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
No compassion whatsoever. Just some dickhead trying to get his jolly's off by pestering innocent people. I would have told him to kiss my ass and proceeded into the hospital.

NinoAvila

Who's awesome....YOU ARE!
Established Member
Im a 15 yr vet of the pd and still going.No one,absolutely no one,can say what the officer felt.Whether he thought they were a threat or not.Everyone is sitting at their monitor saying they werent so that should be it right?Nope.Every traffic stop is treated as a possible thread.Even if its grandma.If its not treated this way,thats when officers get hurt..its called routine.

That is very true. The fact of the matter is unless YOU (as in any of us) are placed in a particular situation - you don't know how you'll react. Adrenaline and excitement often take over. BUT it's at that exact point (an unfamiliar situation) that your training and judgment come into play. The LEO in the video had very bad judgment in my eyes.

To be honest, I was with the cop until the nurses came out pleading for the LEO to let the guy go. Don't forget the Plano officer that also asked the LEO to let the guy go inside.

In this case and Im speaking because I might have a little knowledge of the job,the officer saw the violations and the car hauling ass.Once they pulled into the parking lot and very clearly they were upset,things could have and should have been handled differently.Of course the officers heart rate is up and his awareness due to having to "chase" them down to catch up.He had the "cop" syndrome which is basically this,"Im the police and you will do what I say".When he received non-compliance,it only made him more determined he was going to follow through with writing a ticket or what he was set on doing.
Again, I agree with you partially. BOTH parties were very excited and the atmosphere was charged. This is precisely what LEO's should be able to diffuse. LEO's are human, just like everyone else with one exception - THEY ASKED TO BE THERE. If you can't hack it, find a different profession.

When they jumped out of the car its normal to say "get back in the car".That is a huge safety factor.But,once he was told the reasoning for their actions it should have changed the officers thought pattern.
This is not normal[obviously] but made the media because of the outcome.If the officer would have done everything up to the point of holding the driver up any further than getting a quick explanation,no one would ever have anything to say.So rant on about how cops are asshats because of this incident.That is NOT the case.The officer was wrong,plain and simple!

I commend and respect LEO's. It's not an easy job and it's super easy to go in after the fact and pick every little detail of your job/actions apart. But, as I stated earlier - that's what every LEO signs up for when seeks employment with a law enforcement agency.

I should hope that people don't judge ALL LEO's by this guys actions. If they do, they're not very different from the LEO in the video - poor judgment.

-N

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
On the flip side of this, I saw a video on television the other night where this guy was taking his wife to the hospital to have a baby. She was in heavy labor. He was speeding and he went by a female officer who then pursued him with lights and siren. He wouldn't stop and weaved in and out of traffic. At one point he almost lost her. He did NOT want to stop because of his wife's condition. However, when the officer again was on his tail he pulled over. She thought he might be on drugs so she drew her gun and ordered him out of the car. He pleaded with her that his wife was in labor. She immediately had him lie on the ground and she looked into the car to verify his story. Long story short, the officer ended up delivering the baby. Now she and the wife and very good friends. Now THAT is for once a GOOD story involving a LEO. Unfortunately you rarely here about these good events.

94_Vert

Established Member
These are the facts:

"The hospital twice sent nurses to try and get the officer to release Moats.

"We're blue-coding her for the third time," a nurse said on the police videotape.

A Plano police officer stopped to make a plea for the officer to let Moats go. "Hey, that's the nurse," the Plano officer said. "She says the mom is dying right now, and she wants to know if I can get him up there."

Finally, after a 20-minute delay, the officer ticketed Moats for running a red light.

By the time Moats made it up to the emergency room, his mother-in-law was dead."

I can give the cop the benefit of the doubt for the first 30 sec's. thats all the time he needed to assess the situation. after that he acted without any common sense. he was on a power trip and wasn't going to have anyone tell him what to do, no matter who was dying.

Last edited:

Common

Established Member
No compassion whatsoever. Just some dickhead trying to get his jolly's off by pestering innocent people. I would have told him to kiss my ass and proceeded into the hospital.

That would have made the situation terrible, as he would yell "Stop resisting" and beat you senseless for being rich, black and "disobedient".......:nonono:

This guy has .01 mm of play to get wiggle out of this one. He gives ALL the LEO's a bad name, by a camera in HIS cruises, no less.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Ill make this statement and Im pretty sure you can bet on it.Although everyone agrees the leo acted completely out of line,he is on admin duty pending an investigation.The pd will call everyone involved in for interviews and obviously the vid tape will play the vital factor.This is NOT backing the officer,but again,I might know a little something about how the rules and regulations work.I do not see any violations of dept rules[I am basing this by my depts] The dept will look for any and all reasons to suspend/fire this officer because of the media coverage and they want to save face.Without any clear violations BY DEPARTMENT RULES AND GUIDELINESand if they fire him he will be able to file a civil action for wrongful termination.There is a legal term for it,but my mind isnt working 100%.Call it bs or whatever,but thats the way it is.Im sure he has contacted an atty of some sort and that is a certain possibility that he will file such an action.
Now this is also something SOME officers have.He did not back down after the fact because he did not want to admit he was wrong.No one wants to admit they are wrong,so he stayed his path.It takes approximately 4-8 minutes to issue a ticket.20 minutes is too long,IF the driver cannot produce a valid DL,proof of insurance and a registration.So by the arguing back and forth,that only made the ordeal that much longer.

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
Ill make this statement and Im pretty sure you can bet on it.Although everyone agrees the leo acted completely out of line,he is on admin duty pending an investigation.The pd will call everyone involved in for interviews and obviously the vid tape will play the vital factor.This is NOT backing the officer,but again,I might know a little something about how the rules and regulations work.I do not see any violations of dept rules[I am basing this by my depts] The dept will look for any and all reasons to suspend/fire this officer because of the media coverage and they want to save face.Without any clear violations BY DEPARTMENT RULES AND GUIDELINESand if they fire him he will be able to file a civil action for wrongful termination.There is a legal term for it,but my mind isnt working 100%.Call it bs or whatever,but thats the way it is.Im sure he has contacted an atty of some sort and that is a certain possibility that he will file such an action.
Now this is also something SOME officers have.He did not back down after the fact because he did not want to admit he was wrong.No one wants to admit they are wrong,so he stayed his path.It takes approximately 4-8 minutes to issue a ticket.20 minutes is too long,IF the driver cannot produce a valid DL,proof of insurance and a registration.So by the arguing back and forth,that only made the ordeal that much longer.

Its called using your judgement. YOU should know something about that.

Matt99

Built not Bought
Established Member
i thought it was bullshit how the officer drew his gun on him when he pulled him over. i dont think an appolige from the cheif is all he is goin to settle for. delaying him 13 minutes and in that time his moms passes if i were to catch the cop outa uniform i would beat the shit outa him

03DOHC

Established Member
Officers have discretion to deal with situations how they see fit.
Sounds like maybe it is time to take away that discretion. That's too much power for someone to have over another.

Give me a ticket and move on instead of using the power to hold me for the maximum amount of time because they can.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
i thought it was bullshit how the officer drew his gun on him when he pulled him over. i dont think an appolige from the cheif is all he is goin to settle for. delaying him 13 minutes and in that time his moms passes if i were to catch the cop outa uniform i would beat the shit outa him

:rollseyes sure you would

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Come on now, he was speeeding to a god damned hospital. All the cop had to do was go inside and the nurses would've told him what was going on. He could still have issued the tickets but could've been humane about let him go into the hospital without all the drama.:nonono::nonono::nonono:

What would the officer do of he (the offending driver) got out of the car bleeding all over the place, or one of the passengers was in need of immediate medical care, still tell him he needed to see his paper work first???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Exactly,

Then they would have given you a self-righteous speech about how they are the guardians of the law and must enforce it to the letter, until it becomes an inconvenient to them, then it's all about the spirit of the law.

I have always tried to respect law enforcement and the duty that they perform, but I think more and more the adversarial attitude people have with police is largely becoming their fault. More and more of the people that become police are social discontents seeking power over others, and as it becomes harder and harder to find public servants, more of these people who's egos are too large to have their power questioned, and operate with the carte blanch attitude of "My word is the law, and if I say so, my safety is at risk and that justifies it all" are making it into the system. It's too bad because there are many fine police officers all over the world, but sometimes I think they get too used to substituting their judgment for others, and dealing with criminals they often don't take the time to treat those who are not guilty of a crime with the respect they deserve.

I don't know, but after some of the things I hear from local police about how they must uphold the law at all costs even when it's not in the spirit, then in the same breath when questioned about the legitimacy of "professional courtesy" when it comes to speeding or DUI officers or family members they suddenly claim it's their God given right to bend the law to their benefit and we are all ignorant malcontent's because we don't agree.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Sounds like maybe it is time to take away that discretion. That's too much power for someone to have over another.

Give me a ticket and move on instead of using the power to hold me for the maximum amount of time because they can.

I know this is a double post, but I wanted to touch on these points separately from the others.

I agree, the average police officer does not possess an adequate amount of education, training, or management experience to be placed in that position of authority without a check and balance.

Look at what it takes to become a judge, there is a reason why the criteria for becoming one is so strict, and the level of education required is staggering, and with good reason. Hell their are still judges out there that aren't qualified, but it's not due to lack of intelligence, just political agenda's over ruling common sense, but the judge has an appeals court and a jury of peers in most case as a check and balance.

Obviously violent and felony matters are different, but in cases like this, it infuriates me to no end the self righteous and flagrant feeling of entitlement to authority I see in the newest batch of a police, it's a scary trend that is only getting worse in this area. The police used to be very welcome here, now most businesses do everything in their power to make sure police are not loitering in their parking lots.

It's too bad, used to be your local police officer was a friend, neighbor and someone you could rely on no matter what. They have turned into almost an elitist, self entitled culture of their own here in Tampa and no I haven't been pulled over or have some axe to grind, I just really feel they are failing to receive the proper training or guidance for use of their powers and the city is suffering as a result.

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I know this is a double post, but I wanted to touch on these points separately from the others.

I agree, the average police officer does not possess an adequate amount of education, training, or management experience to be placed in that position of authority without a check and balance.

I just really feel they are failing to receive the proper training or guidance for use of their powers and the city is suffering as a result.

Im not so sure you can "teach" this kind of stuff. Sounds like a little integrity to me. No amount of training is going to deter this type of thing. Just like the Dallas PD Chief said...you curb this type of thing by hiring quality people. The Chief also stated that the Officer has received some discipline in the past but did not believe it was force related. Sometimes you cannot forsee these type of things, but good supervision may have noticed a pattern. That is your check and balance, along with the other offices who do have integrity. This was brought to light within the Plano PD and the Dallas PD not through the media or by the civillians. A Plano officer told his supervisor who in turn notified a DPD supervisor of the concern. If the words spoken by DPD Chief are indeed accurate.

Everything we do in public eye...check and balance, most things we do on audio and video...check and balance, supervisors..check and balance, media...check and balance, the LAW...check and balance, attorneys, judges...our peers... i could go on for a while here. To say that we answer to no one is rediculous.

Even with all that said some people slip through the cracks and do things like this. Hindsight is definately 20/20.

You cannot do this job successfully without injecting a little humanity once and a while. Not all of us are assholes!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread