Try this , and report back please.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
When your ( T56 ) cobra is idling push in clutch and go into first gear immediately.
Does it grind ? Or go into first with no problems whatsoever with no grinding ?
Thanks . Trying to see if I have an issue or not. My Cobra I have to wait at least 6 to10 seconds before mine dont grind. Have to wait for input shaft to stop spinnig.

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
Mine has never done that. Possibly synchros goin out? try going into 2nd,3rd etc. and see if it does it. If it doesnt than its prob your synchros. If not you got bigger problems Id say.

ditch the t56 and get a magnum!

Last edited:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Mine has never done that. Possibly synchros goin out? try going into 2nd,3rd etc. and see if it does it. If it doesnt than its prob your synchros. If not you got bigger problems Id say.

ditch the t56 and get a magnum!
well . If I have to take off from a light before my say 10 seconds. If I go I to second then first it's fine.

Like the old T5 going into reverse you had to go into first then reverse.
If have to pull might as well Get a Built 4R70W. Cause of my arthritis.
Am thinking maybe a first gear blocker gone bad. I have pictures of when I was doing the 26 spline input shaft the slider and the blocker looked fine or I would have replaced the parts needed. All other gears are ok.
I am running synthetic amosil ATF BTW for 800 miles I never noticed it till now.

So what you all are saying youre car at idle with foot off clutch...if you push clutch in then go quick into first no grind

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
No I have no grind at all. You could try putting some Pennsoil Syncromesh in it and see if that helps. I havent heard really good things about Amsoil. I used to put the Mercon V in it but it was making my shifts notchy. Switched to pennsoil and Im good. Could also try doing the Anti-Venom mod also.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
No I have no grind at all. You could try putting some Pennsoil Syncromesh in it and see if that helps. I havent heard really good things about Amsoil. I used to put the Mercon V in it but it was making my shifts notchy. Switched to pennsoil and Im good. Could also try doing the Anti-Venom mod also.
Ok so u can go right into first right when pushing the clutch in with no grind..
Before I did my Boss50 buildup and still had still clutch I was running with mer V also it was notchy like you said. But after doing the 26 shaft and spec3 plus I put in the amosil synthetic lube which I good friend of mine had giving me when he closed his shop down. The shifts where smoother not notchy. But for 800 miles of breakin I been driving like an old lady. I just noticed this .maybe it did it before ? If so maybe I just didnt go into first gear right away to know?
I dont drag race .just street driving when I did take it out with occasional burst here in there taken it easy on my breakin tune. Now I need to get my final tune and noticed this I guess I can still get my tune like this as long as I tell tuner to wait 10 seconds before putting it into first . I can still drive a std.trans but gets hard when in heavy stop and go traffic like interstate wrecks that hurts. Hips knees and ankles. I can pull trans very quick I have a lift in my back yard have too.
I heard aurgrements about clutch adjustment with the dime slack to no slack to 20 lbs of preload on cable which I did all. No help was wondering on just trying the Mer V again first just to see ?

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I also did a search it said the T56 dont like synthetic fluid .??

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
I also did a search it said the T56 dont like synthetic fluid .??

Lots of people on here running synchromesh. Ive ran it in both of my cobras for over 2 years and havent had a problem. If you werent noticing it till now then I would flush it a couple times with what you had in it before to get all the amsoil out. It could very well be your fluid your using. I doubt its a clutch cable problem considering theres no grinding after the input shaft slows down. If it was a clutch cable then all gears would be doing that at all times.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
op does it do the same thing when you put it in reverse? or does it go in immediately, no problem whatsoever?

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Whats this Mod you speak of?

cobra=trouble

Established Member
op does it do the same thing when you put it in reverse? or does it go in immediately, no problem whatsoever?
ok . NO GRIND IN RESERVE when put in really really quick.

Also I just Changed Fluid with dex mec III advanced auto brand. It still grinds May have to wait for the New Fluid to work in. tried adjusting cable both ways with clearance and with preload.

kmadona

Established Member
I swapped my oil out for Syncromesh about 5 years ago after I bought the car and haven't had any issues. Where are you located in Louisiana? I am in Covington.

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
Change to pennzoil, get rid of the adjustable cable(if you have one) they are junk no matter what brand you buy, if problem still exists remove tranny and replace synchros

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
OP mine does it. But i have never thought anything about it. I have just let it be custom to push the clutch in and wait 2 seconds before i go into gear

cobra=trouble

Established Member
OP mine does it. But i have never thought anything about it. I have just let it be custom to push the clutch in and wait 2 seconds before i go into gear
am the only one that drives it .so I can live with waiting 5 to 6 seconds.
THANKS EVERYONE.

ANOTHER ISSUE AM THINKING OF. > I got 3.73s right now Built SRA. Thinking of going 3.27s for better street traction. Plus better MPG. I dont drag race it. Just like pull .3.73s just lights 315s up. I heard 3.27s where a good Mod with KB.

Users who are viewing this thread