Trunk sticking

mooch91

Established Member
Anyone else having issues where the trunk “sticks” a little bit when you go to raise it? I’m having this happen, almost as if the pictured stops are getting stuck and then releasing with a “spring” noise. I tried Teflon grease on the bottom of the stops and some in between the springs too. Any ideas? Thanks.

f6005f52cf30f4174d3e47ac42ed389a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mooch91

Established Member
Thanks. After playing with these yesterday, the bottom pad started to break apart on each, so I need another solution anyway. Plus a need to replace the struts on the trunk as it's a pain to raise any more. The joys of an 18-year-old car...

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I replaced the struts on mine after the deck fell on me while I was hooking up my amp. I ended up getting the new springs and rubber pads too. I think I went through LMR for everything.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
New struts went on last season. Trunk flies open now. It's a wonderful thing.

mooch91

Established Member
For those who have bought new struts - what did you get? There are plenty of affordable versions available on Amazon, but I'm finding most have a tube body that is about 1/4 - 1/3" too long which causes extra pressure on the hinge and misaligns the trunk. If you can point me to a brand that doesn't do this, I'd appreciate it.

This is the one I bought and tried already - reviews confirm that they are a hair too long:

mooch91

Established Member
Attached is the OEM strut supplier and the part number that works on a spoiler car, which I found after doing plenty of research. Save yourself the trouble and avoid the improperly fitting aftermarket parts - there is clearly an issue with the length of many of them. Cost was about $35 shipped.

850ef1d8cd258b5358055fa60520b9c9.jpg

664d1aebaf92f721fdbed215a8795a36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread