Trunk leak question.

Chris_98Cobra

Established Member
Need advice on a trunk leak, 98 Cobra coupe.

After replacing the trunk seal and resealing the trunk hinges, I'm thinking that water is getting into the trunk at the bottom of the rear window. That thick seam sealer they used to fill in the channel seems to go up the back of the channel to the bottom of the rear window, just under the bottom window molding. The two corners, just under the rear window on the far edges, seems to be soft and is acting as if it has pulled away from the body. I'm thinking this is the source of my leak. I tried to pull off that bottom molding to replace it but it is coming apart in my hand and I think it's glued to the rear window. I'm going to have the rear window replaced anyway, so I'll deal with that when I get the new window. But that seam sealer needs to be dealt with. That's where I'm hoping someone has had experience, I searched but couldn't find anything.

mc1rglR.jpg

I'm thinking I can cut away the sealer from the vertical part of the channel, just under the rear window, and use pantable seam sealer to reseal the corners. But I won't know until I get in there to see what's going on.

Has anybody has experience with this factory sealer or leaks in that specific area? I cut that sealer away to remove, clean, POR, and replace the trunk hinges. I used self leveling seam sealer to re-cover the hinges, so I don't think that's my source. I can't use the same self leveling sealer on the vertical portion, so I suppose seam sealer will be my best bet.

Any advice or experience would be great. Thank you.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Break out the garden hose. Hit different areas with pressure and then check for water in the trunk. It may be coming from a not-so-obvious place (like getting slung up by the tires).

Chris_98Cobra

Established Member
The hinges were the first place I looked because the water is entering between the body panels where the hinges bolt to. But I resealed that entire area and the water appears to be entering in front of the hinges closer to the back glass. I can feel water if I reach my hand up inside the body, under the rear glass.

jmsa540

Established Member
The hinges were the first place I looked because the water is entering between the body panels where the hinges bolt to. But I resealed that entire area and the water appears to be entering in front of the hinges closer to the back glass. I can feel water if I reach my hand up inside the body, under the rear glass.
Mine leaked from there, too.

Flexseal=fixed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread