Truly impressed at the insane prices people want for used cars out there on Marketplace

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have the left side of that window sticker as well? I'd love to see it if you do.
No, I was lucky to remember to keep the front side.

I do have many more Fox and later Mustang stickers'. I'll make some pictures as I have a file on each car plus the body tag from many of them. I was a traveling salesman so ordered a new car every two years. I'd change the oil in my driveway every month.

I sold a 1997 Mustang Cobra with all the paperwork. It was obviously a Cobra model. The guy called my later saying it wasn't a Cobra as the engine stickers were gone (he was mad). I had pulled them off the first day (they were paper). I told him to look in the owner's manual where I stored them--he never called back.

My best one from those days:
94Cobra-4.jpg

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
$11,500 in 1988 is $29,850 when inflated to 2023 dollars. I think the cheapest '23 V8 Mustang is $42,500K?
I was using my cars for business with the generous tax write-off's of those days.

The IRS paid me much more to drive a Mustang Cobra than a GT.

I got six speeding tickets one year. This was before all the small individual departments shared data.

Foxcars.jpg

q6543

Established Member
$11,500 in 1988 is $29,850 when inflated to 2023 dollars. I think the cheapest '23 V8 Mustang is $42,500K? That's a 42% money grab right there, right into Ford profit (or into shite Mach-e losses).
Now do market adjusted and see how much CHEAPER cars have gotten… that 11,5k 88 fox would cost 200k plus, Lamborghini money in todays dollars

Cars are cheaper than ever on that metric.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member

BlueSnake01

Established Member
$11,500 in 1988 is $29,850 when inflated to 2023 dollars. I think the cheapest '23 V8 Mustang is $42,500K? That's a 42% money grab right there, right into Ford profit (or into shite Mach-e losses).
To be fair, its actually cheaper vs previous years.

A 28k Mustang in 2000 with inflation in today's time is in the 50k area.

andymarkv

Established Member
So this isn't Market Place....but damn!! Am I on another planet these days?!?
I LOVE GMT800 GM trucks 99-07, so I watch BAT and see what clean specimens are bringing.
This super clean low mile '00, reg cab-long bed, 4wd sold for $45K!!! WTF?
You can buy a NEW 2wd F150 with blower for close to that!

Silverado GMT800 (1999-2007)

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
So this isn't Market Place....but damn!! Am I on another planet these days?!?
I LOVE GMT800 GM trucks 99-07, so I watch BAT and see what clean specimens are bringing.
This super clean low mile '00, reg cab-long bed, 4wd sold for $45K!!! WTF?
You can buy a NEW 2wd F150 with blower for close to that!

Silverado GMT800 (1999-2007)

This is a fact but, in my opinion, speed is no longer top of the list when it comes to enthusiast vehicles. If I want speed, I'll get a Plaid.

People want nostalgia.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I sold a 1997 Mustang Cobra with all the paperwork. It was obviously a Cobra model. The guy called my later saying it wasn't a Cobra as the engine stickers were gone (he was mad). I had pulled them off the first day (they were paper). I told him to look in the owner's manual where I stored them--he never called back.

Guy must not have been much of a gear head as the SOHC heads are itty bitty compared to the DOHC ones.

Pictures are sweet by the way.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

You're leaving out all of the mandatory safety tech and options that buyers demand that they didn't have in 1988. Cars were simpler and cheaper to build then.

tistan

Established Member
You're leaving out all of the mandatory safety tech and options that buyers demand that they didn't have in 1988. Cars were simpler and cheaper to build then.
But in every other industry tech gets cheaper. For instance, a big screen tv was $2500 when I was a kid in the 90's today I can get a big screen for $500. Computers have gotten way more powerful, but a laptop is now $400, back then a laptop was $2,000. Why hasn't car tech followed the same trajectory?

robvas

Established Member
But in every other industry tech gets cheaper. For instance, a big screen tv was $2500 when I was a kid in the 90's today I can get a big screen for $500. Computers have gotten way more powerful, but a laptop is now $400, back then a laptop was $2,000. Why hasn't car tech followed the same trajectory?
Unions don't assemble any of those things. They also aren't made with steel.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member

But we're talking about additions that are added and updated all of the time. It's just added equipment that cars have now that they didn't have then, and they probably have gotten cheaper because if you use the inflation calculator the $10k+ increase on the normal inflation rate technically accounts for that additional equipment, and I'd say that's pretty fair because when you add up all of the tech and safety it can add up to a lot of cost.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member

I'd say they are simpler and cheaper to build now. The tech that is available to design and build machines is so much cheaper and faster (less up front labor and low cost country labor) and the tech in the car is so cheap (as in digital iPads and PC parts from 10 years ago). Cars are cheaper to build today.

I design, build, and qualifying the world's highest efficiency and highest reliability compressors. What the previous generation would do in 5-7 years we get done with less people in 15-18 months.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I'd say they are simpler and cheaper to build now. The tech that is available to design and build machines is so much cheaper and faster (less up front labor and low cost country labor) and the tech in the car is so cheap (as in digital iPads and PC parts from 10 years ago). Cars are cheaper to build today.

I design, build, and qualifying the world's highest efficiency and highest reliability compressors. What the previous generation would do in 5-7 years we get done with less people in 15-18 months.

Even with the general addition of the added components? I'm thinking simply on the terms of what a car included then vs what they include now. There's tons more included in cars now than there was then. Just take the additional weight of the average vehicle for example. Also, materials. Far more exotic materials being used regularly.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
This is a fact but, in my opinion, speed is no longer top of the list when it comes to enthusiast vehicles. If I want speed, I'll get a Plaid.

People want nostalgia.
I've said this for a long time, people will have to start paying for simplicity. As the auto industry tries to force feed us technology, log your data in real time, and make a little money selling it on the side.

Users who are viewing this thread