True Story

SSCOBRA03

Established Member
Back in 1995, I was on my way to Brunswick, Georgia traveling east on I-10 in Florida I believe. I was driving my Chevy Z71 and doing between 90 and 95 in the passing lane. The only reason for my speed that I can think of is I had been driving for two days and I wanted the trip over with ( not that this is a valid excuse). This was about midday and as I was approaching a red sedan ( who was probably going about 85 as I was slowly catching up to him) I observed a state trooper across the grass median traveling west. I watched his taillights after he passed and sure enough, his brake lights came on.

Even though I knew that he still had to travel a ways before he would be able to turnaround, I pulled over and stopped. After about a minute he passed me, waved, and kept going. Slightly confused, I continued my journey. After a couple of minutes I came upon the same trooper parked on the shoulder behind the above mentioned red sedan. He was standing between the vehicles off to the side talking to the driver holding what looked to be his ticket book. And while I was passing their location, he looked at me and "waved".

After this, I obeyed the speed limit for the rest of my trip, not because I was afraid of getting a ticket, but out of respect for that trooper.

P.S. He had no way of knowing I have been federal law enfocement officer since 1988.

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Man, I-10 is a nice stretch of highway especially going into and out of Georgia. You almost can't help but speed on it b/c its so wide open (kinda like I-295 around Jacksonville).

Seems like the officer may have given you a break for actually pulling over instead of trying to get to the nearest exit or lose 'em. Pretty cool of 'em. :)

I won't lie, I wouldn't have pulled over. I would have slowed down significantly and prayed he left me alone...lol Hey, its better than trying to make a mad-dash for the nearest exit.

I saw a Mustang do that once. He flew past me and a cop broke a U-turn across the grass median. Stang really nailed it and hit the next Exit. Cop saw 'em though and followed him down the on-ramp...lol :nono: Here's hoping he was in Fed law enforcement as well. If not, I'd hate to see his ticket.

Good story, SSCobra. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
If your gonna run, you gotta know where your running to and have a car capable of moving.

It's not worth it if your gonna get caught, and if your near home hope they didn't get a good look at your car.

I don't think 90-95 is a big deal anymore, as I was recently on the NJ turnpike and was doing between 80-85, and people were passing me left and right. My radar seems to being extra wacky that day so I just stayed back.

Users who are viewing this thread