Truck is dead

honda hunter

Old School
Established Member
Twice in 2 weeks my truck has died. If I drive somewhere shut it off then try to start it, it wont start. Crazy thing is it's like its disconnected from the battery. none of the ACC stuff works and the theft light just blinks. I know its not the battery but I cant seem to trace it. Sometimes the ACC will work but when you try to start itll click then the power is gone again. Sometimes after being stranded 10 min or 3hours itll start right up. Any ideas?

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
No cel. Im thinking it has to be the starter relay or something in that area. when I play around there it seems to work but nothing concrete to point me in a solid direction.

Won't hurt to change out the starter relay.. They are cheap..$7-12....

Sounds like a bad ground or a fuel issue to me...

I did a search and came up with this...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/motor-city-terminators-185/498057-car-died-me-today.html

Also maybe, you may have an issue with your PATS system(keys). It's been known that some of our keys go bad. Try a different key and see if the problem persists.

A CEL doesn't neccessarily mean you don't have DTC's. So, I would hook up a scanner to see what happens. I personally have seen DTC's in my system without a CEL popping up..

I recently had an issue with one of my two jeeps that is a daily driver of mine and it practically does the same thing off/on. I posted it up it up on the Jeepforums to get help. Turns out my problem is the PCM...Although, I'm sure this is not the case for you.
Here's the link:
Stalling, Missing with zero Check Engine Lights

Sorry man, Im just throwing some things out there for you to check...

-Chris

Last edited:

honda hunter

Old School
Established Member
terminals are clean and tight.

When it first happened I was sure its a bad ground. I checked almost all the grounds but it got dark.

How do you test the solenoid?

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
terminals are clean and tight.

When it first happened I was sure its a bad ground. I checked almost all the grounds but it got dark.

How do you test the solenoid?

Sorry couldn't find the cliff notes....

DD19 VERIFY FUEL RAIL SOLENOID SHUT-OFF VALVE OPERATES

* Key ON.
* Access and enter the Output Test Mode.
* Cycle output ON and then OFF several times.

Is a click felt or heard from the fuel rail solenoid shut-off valve?
Yes No KEY OFF. EXIT Output Test Mode. RECONNECT solenoid valve. GO to DD20 . KEY OFF. GO to DD23 .
DD20 CHECK VREF VOLTAGE TO FRP SENSOR

* Disconnect FRP sensor.
* Key ON, engine OFF.
* Measure voltage between VREF and SIG RTN circuits at the FRP sensor harness connector.

Is the voltage reading between 4.0 and 6.0 volts?
Yes No KEY OFF. GO to DD20 . GO to C1 .
DD21 CHECK FRP CIRCUIT RESISTANCE

* Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers at the beginning of this pinpoint test.
* Disconnect PCM.
* Measure resistance of FRP circuit between PCM harness connector pin and the FRP sensor harness connector.
* Measure resistance of SIG RTN circuit between PCM harness connector pin and FRP sensor harness connector.
* Measure resistance of VREF circuit between PCM harness connector pin and FRP sensor harness connector.

Is each resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes No GO to DD21 . REPAIR as necessary.
DD22 MONITOR FRP V PID WITH SCAN TOOL

* Key ON, engine OFF.
* Access FRP V PID.

Is the FRP V PID value less than 0.2 volt for NG, and greater than 4.8 volts for all others?
Yes No REPLACE FRP sensor. REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) ).
DD23 CHECK FSV PWR VOLTAGE TO FUEL RAIL SOLENOID SHUT-OFF VALVE HARNESS CONNECTOR

* Disconnect the fuel rail solenoid shut-off valve at the harness connector.
* Key ON.
* Access and enter Output Test Mode on the scan tool.
* Select: ALL ON. Note: Measurement must be made within 7 seconds of activating test mode.
* Measure voltage between the FSV PWR circuit at the fuel rail solenoid shut-off valve harness connector and battery negative post.

Is the voltage reading greater than 10.5 volts?
Yes No GO to DD23 . KEY OFF. REPAIR open circuit.
DD24 CHECK GROUND CIRCUIT FOR OPEN IN HARNESS

* Measure resistance between the ground circuit at the fuel rail solenoid shut-off valve harness connector and battery negative post.

Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes No REPLACE fuel rail solenoid shut-off valve. REPAIR open circuit.
DD25 CHECK VREF VOLTAGE TO FRP SENSOR

* Disconnect FRP sensor.
* Key ON, engine OFF.
* Measure voltage between VREF and SIG RTN circuits at the FRP harness connector.

Is the voltage between 4.0 and 6.0 volts?
Yes No KEY OFF. GO to DD25 . VREF is out of range. GO to C1 .
DD26 CHECK FRP CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO SIG RTN, VREF, OR PWR GND IN HARNESS

* Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers in the beginning of this pinpoint test.
* Disconnect PCM.
* Disconnect scan tool from DLC.
* FRP disconnected.
* Measure resistance between FRP and SIG RTN circuits at the PCM harness connector.
* Measure resistance between FRP and VREF circuits at the PCM harness connector.
* Measure resistance between FRP circuit at the PCM harness connector and battery negative post.

Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) ). REPAIR short.

Users who are viewing this thread