truck electrical problem

tistan

Established Member
I think my truck is about to start having an electrical issue. It is an 02 f250. The power windows and radio do not work when the truck first cranks up sometimes. Then about 30 seconds later it will work. They never quit working after they start so I don't think it's a short. Any ideas on what is causing this issue?

mrlrd1

Established Member
If a new accessory delay relay doesn't fix the problem: Hit the top of the dash above the instrument cluster. If everything begins to work, you need to inspect the back of the instrument cluster under a magnifying glass to locate the failed solder joint.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
If a new accessory delay relay doesn't fix the problem: Hit the top of the dash above the instrument cluster. If everything begins to work, you need to inspect the back of the instrument cluster under a magnifying glass to locate the failed solder joint.

This. Older F250/F350 trucks were notorious for the splice joints to start to come loose behind the dash areas. Finding the right splice joint is a royal pain in the butt. Make sure you pick up an EVTM for this as they label the splice joints by area they are located in on a grid in the back which gives the approx. location.

tistan

Established Member
If it was a splice joint coming lose, wouldn't my radio and windows quit working while I'm driving too? I would think that sometimes they would never come on. They always come on after about 30 seconds.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
If it was a splice joint coming lose, wouldn't my radio and windows quit working while I'm driving too? I would think that sometimes they would never come on. They always come on after about 30 seconds.

Try the relay first then start the wiggle testing. Sometimes the contact gets worse over time and you have just seen the beginning of the problem.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
I would be surprised if it wasn't the accessory delay relay. Luckily it is a cheap part, so that would be my first step.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Is that in the fuse box or behind the dash?

Should be in the cab part of the central junction box, a big grey relay K126.

2010-03-28_160616_fuses.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread