Trouble with vehicle stalling

JpL4K3

Established Member
Figured I would reach out to you guys here for different ideas on what could be causing this issue I am experiencing with my 2014 Mustang GT.

Car has the beefcake Paxton Supercharger kit, and I have been experiencing issues with the car stalling itself out when the high temp fan kicks on. The weird thing is that it does not occur every single time, it's kind of random when it does it. Any ideas on what to look for? I've already been in talks with the tuner, and we verified that the MAF is clocked correct. Both of us are stumped on this.

Last edited:

hitmix300

Established Member
Auto or manual? My auto car had a socket in the bell housing bouncing around and it randomly hooked on a torque converter bolt at certain rpms. Hope you get it figured out..! I suppose any bolt or contaminant could stop you like me.

Nuar

Established Member
I've had some stalling issues with long tubes and o2 sensor issues, that's why I asked. Sorry I can't help in this case, I am still a very jealous n\a driver :p

AfricanSnowOwl

Established Member
Mine has the exact same problem, and has had it since I got the kit 2 years ago. I just never got around to talking to the tuner, but I just sent them an email seeing if they can do anything about it.

JpL4K3

Established Member
Theres got to be someone out there who has had this issue, and had success with finding out what was causing it.

Shaun@AED

If you datalog battery voltage you will likely find a massive drop as the high speed fan kicks on, which is causing the stall.
We've found the cause to be the ECU defaulting to high speed cooling fan when the low speed relay goes out.
It's the huge amperage draw from the fan going from zero to full speed instantly that causes the voltage drop. Normally the fan will already be at 40-50% speed before the high speed kicks in, which does not have the huge amperage pull and therefore no stall. It's when the fan goes from 0 to 100% that we normally see this issue pop up. Every time I've seen this issue it's been a faulty relay, but there could be other reasons for the high speed fan to kick on without the low speed first I suppose. (If that is the problem here, which you can diagnose by logging voltage.)

SCalla1384

Established Member
Throwing a guess out there, possible in the tune the low speed fan setting is set higher or equal to the high speed fan setting?

agony

Established Member
I ran into the exact same issue. The low fan wouldn't come on and it would stall when high fan came in. It ended up being the fan cable. It was weird. We swapped cables with another car and was seeing the same issue on my car. Other car ran fine. I ended up buying a new one and it runs much better. I wonder if it was a bad connection and it just took 3 times swapping it to get a good connection.

JpL4K3

Established Member
Screenshot%201_zps0fzzmp1f.png

Quick data log of Battery Voltage, Desired Alternator Voltage, and Engine coolant temp. Didn't take long to replicate the issue. :shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread