trouble with my 03

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
That sucks about your car. It really does. And anybody here that has owned a couple mustangs can see where you're coming from with the problems. But to sit behind your computer and lose it on everybody,proceed to trash the car they're driving,go on and on about how other brands are better,and then expect them to feel bad for you is just wishful thinking. We all read about the problems the cars are having. I've also read about the problems that plenty of vette owners,M3 owners,porsche owners and so on and so on are having. Does that mean they're cars are junk. Look at it this way. They're building 10,000+ of these cars. Do you think they can do it without messing up a few? No car company ever has. Best of luck.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
If you want to sell the car so bad and get a vette than go for it, just try not to smoke the clutch on that too ok?

TTAFB---they are only making around 3,000 of the 03's

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
If you want to sell the car so bad and get a vette than go for it, just try not to smoke the clutch on that too ok?

Try 10,500. There were 3,500 for the first run and 7,000 for the second. All will be model 03 Cobras.

FINICKY

Established Member
hey man im pretty dam anal about my car just look at my user name lol ....i have the vibe and the pull .but other wise the car is good to go.i figure once ford comes up with a fix ill take it in for the vibration and the pull i fixed myself ...I can understand Jays position completly it is very fustraiting.... But on the same note you should have some satisfaction knowing that the car will be fixed eventually and i think we both know who is gonna try to fix it .as for me i was very upset when mine had the vibe but marlin calmed me down and told me just to waite till they came up with a fix. buy the way you car looked awesome pulling away on 287
:thumbsup:

hey Jay i got my intake done that i was telling you about when we were at island and the car is freakin crazy with the mods ill have to take you for a ride and renew your faith. maybe ill catch you at somerset one night if i actually take the car out lo

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
there making 10,500? really?? my fault, I didn't know, I just always heard around 3,000. Thats cool then, I was hoping there would be more.

Aharon

Established Member
Since this post will more then likely be posted on EVERY LS1 message board.

Here is what I have found so far with my car @ 2,500 miles...

This post is just as valid as the author's post. He has problems with his car. I don't.

2003 Mineral Grey Cobra
1) Car does not pull right
2) Car does not vibrate >80
3) Foglights do not fill with water.
4) Car does not pop out of gear.

cobrablue

Established Member
i can understand where you are coming from silver. i owned a 99 cobra that had so many problems that the dealer used it more than me. the car caught fire with my family in it coming back from atlantic city. i purchased a 95 s-351 saleen that was originally slated for lawrence taylor. he cancelled the order because of delivery time. they put a motor in it at 50 miles. the pistons were installed in reverse so the engine was knocking like crazy. i now own a 2003 cobra the car is great, i have none of the above mentioned problems. not to say it cant happen but so far its super. my friend has a 2002 zo6, its sitting at the dealer getting a motor he lost all his oil pressure while driving and from what i understand this is a growing problem. my point is you have to expect some problems with cars today. the technology is high and theres so much that can go wrong especially as we try to squeeze more hp out of the same smallblock. i understand your grief but if this car is going to bug you beyond enjoying it try to sell it because you will never be comfortable with it again. trust me i know about losing money. they killed me when i sold the saleen. oh and by the way i sold my 2002 vette for my cobra. ive owned 4 vettes 2 of them being c5s and if you ask me the car is way too refined. i want sportscar, rumble and shake. i didnt want a mercedes benz. the cobra is so much more fun to drive than the vette was. i hope you solve your problems, i think once you get past that point youll love the car. good luck:p

mike69440

Established Member
For those with good Cobras

I purchased my 2003 Cobra in with full knowledge of the type of car I was purchasing.
I bought the car for its reported performance.

The reported and in most cases actual acceleration performance of the 2003 Cobra exceed such high mark performance cars as the C5 Corvette, BMW M series, Porsche 911. Other performance benchmarks such as braking and handling ability of the 2003 Cobra are very competitive with these cars also.

In fact only a rare few cars, costing several times the cost of the 03 Cobra will exceed the performance of the 2003 Cobra, often by only a negligible amount.

That list is short indeed. The Dodge Viper, The Turbo Version of the Porsche 911, The Corvette with the special Z06 package, Certain Ferrari’s and other Italian Exotics, Some Aston Martins’ other limited edition specialty manufacture cars. You get the idea. Cars beyond the financial reach of the middle class American, except for possibly the $50,000 Corvette Z06, which is a relative bargain.

The Mustang is based on a chassis, the Fox Platform, originally intended for inexpensive low powered 4 cylinder economy cars such as the Ford Fairmont. The Mustang was designed to use this platform. The Mustang is produced at an old manufacturing facility, the Dearborn Michigan plant, which was at its heyday just after World War II.

Over the years Ford has done a remarkable job at refining this basic design and has produced a car in the 20003 Cobra that rivals the performance of the worlds highest performing cars for a true bargain price of about $35,000 dollars. For that money, it is unreasonable to expect a perfect car.

The Mustang does lack the refinement of a $150,000 exotic. It rides a bit rough, the drivetrain is a bit clunky, the paint and body fit is ok, if of American production line quality, the interior design, climate controls, and other features are 10 years antiquated. The car makes poor use of space for its size. The car is not excessively gadget or feature filled.

BUT WHO CARES!
When the average 2003 Cobra owner gets behind the wheel of their car and turns that key, they know they have something special. They are driving one of the Big Dogs of the car world!
It is a heck of a lot nicer car than most anyone could build for the money were he or she to start out with a kit or an old muscle car. It is new, runs right, and has a warrantee.

Now what if your particular car does not run as reported or as the average 03 Cobra.
What if the car is no quicker than a base V8 Camero? What if the car has a buzz in the drivetrain at 80 mph? What if your car has one or more of the problems that have been reported on this Forum? Turning that key would not be as much fun, would it?

Easy answer is bringing it back to the dealer and get it straightened out.
Now what if the Dealer tells you everything is fine and they do not intend to address your complaints? What if your contact with SVT, and initially SVT is denying that there could be a problem?

It gets a little tough from there. Please allow a guy to vent a little on this Forum, as long as he stays rational.

For you lucky guys with good Cobras that are running fine, just hope if you do have a problem, you have a very supportive dealer.

If this message helps motivate SVT/Ford/Dealers to assist those hopefully few of us who do have legitimate problems to become happy Cobra owners, I really do not care if it ends up on the LS1 Forums.

A stock good Cobra beats a Good Stock C5, al else equal, ok. Just my Cobra will not.

Mike69440.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by Aharon
Since this post will more then likely be posted on EVERY LS1 message board.

Here is what I have found so far with my car @ 2,500 miles...

This post is just as valid as the author's post. He has problems with his car. I don't.

2003 Mineral Grey Cobra
1) Car does not pull right
2) Car does not vibrate >80
3) Foglights do not fill with water.
4) Car does not pop out of gear.

Mine at 3000

1) Not after a simple alignment
2) Never has.
3) Not a drop
4) Once when i didn't have it in gear all the way.

gary

CWCobra

Established Member
Don't like your Cobra???
Simple:
Sell it, and STFU!
There's no crying in baseball. either!
Peace,
CW

mike69440

Established Member
To Ford Diehards

Ok CWCobra, you do own 4 Fords and I have only 3 Fords.

You are a true diehard Ford guy. Ford has made some decent cars, I'll admit.

Your loyalty does not do anything to encourage Ford to improove quality or Customer service.

Also because you tend to buy so many Fords, your chance to get a car with problems is increased.

It would be pretty funny if you someday end up with a lemon and we see YOU crying on this Forum.

Mike69440

cubes

Established Member
Silvercoffin you have every right to be pissed. It's a shame that a few guys are getting on your case. If it was their car they would be singing the same tune as you. It is easy to suggest selling your car since they will not be losing a few grand. There is no excuse to have that many problems with ANY new car, cheap or expensive. Ford builds alot of crap. It is a gamble and you hope to get a good vehicle. I figure throwing the dice with the second run will help my odds of getting a good car.
Don't get a GM, their quality control is worse. The LS1 has been out for 5 years, they still burn oil and have piston slap. GM just denies their problems, at least Ford tries to correct them.

Originally posted by KevinJKD

:lol: Don't correct someone else unless you know your facts first. It's common knowledge that they are building more than that.

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Re: To Ford Diehards

Originally posted by mike69440
Ok CWCobra, you do own 4 Fords and I have only 3 Fords.

You are a true diehard Ford guy. Ford has made some decent cars, I'll admit.

Your loyalty does not do anything to encourage Ford to improove quality or Customer service.

Also because you tend to buy so many Fords, your chance to get a car with problems is increased.

It would be pretty funny if you someday end up with a lemon and we see YOU crying on this Forum.

Mike69440
I agree that Silvercoffin should not STFU, although hyberbolics generally do not help feed the bulldog when it comes to resolving issues.

Does silvercoffin's car qualify as a Lemon? The dealer has not had his 3 strikes yet, and likely all of those problems can be corrected. The fact that many of us have none of those problems suggests that there is no inherent design problem, and Ford will likely correct the problems that remain, if given half a chance and some patience by its customers. Example: the driveshaft problem - if the posts we have seen likely are true, Ford had a supplier problem, and has identified it, and will replace the affected cars - what more can be expected? If Ford had to blueprint QC every item that went into the car, it would cost $120,000, not $35,000. My M3 cost $40k in 1995 dollars, and came with a loose bolt inside the ZF manual transmission - they replaced it and that was that.

Friendchicken

Jason, don't take this in a bad way but...

You were bitchin about when the cars would get to NJ, then you were Pissed about dealer markup, then we get an account of the first problem and subsequent summaries of your issues on corral, stangnet and svtperf and who knows where else.

Now it looks like the boards are flooded with issues by several people where in fact it is only you voicing your concerns about 1 car.

Back in June when you were looking for your car, alot of people were recommending a solution for ya and yet you still posted the same thing on the other sites and on and on it went.

All I am saying is take a deep breath, let things run their course and if you want to crap all over the 2003 cobra, link your thread from the original site when visiting another message board instead of spamming. These are valid concerns that we all need to know about.

FWIW, I still read your topic and the thread cause I don't think you are a blowhard and you have something of value to add-

Just stop creating artificial panic of the masses.

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal

Established Member
I never said he should shut up. I said deal with it. I completely understand his problem and his frustration. Dealing with it means he should do whatever he needs to in order to remedy the situation.

I have a problem with 5,000 posts on the same topic. In fact, it gets annoying when it is the same problem on multiple board. Make one post. Describe the problems and post the updates there.

I could not believe the post from him regarding the rumor that Ford "might" change the hp rating on the 03 Cobra.

I just think there should be a resonable amount of expectations. If he has traversed all of his options at his dealer, and then with svt, then he has the right to be mad, but he should get a lawyer or do something that will get results.

Do I think a svt member reads these forums? Maybe. Will spreading 100 posts on here get more attention (with a few different id's as well)? Yeah, but not svt's.

I read the posts for important information, not bellyaching and flame wars.

Oh, and if I end up with a lemon, I wouldn't waste my time bitching here. I'd take my loss and move on. Can I afford to loose 5 or 10K? No, I can't either. But you won't catch me crying -- I'll be writing letters and making phone calls.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread