• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Trouble with Meguiars ultimate polish

Discussion in 'Show'n'Shine Saloon' started by Black4VPower, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Black4VPower

Black4VPower SVT Poster Established Member

Has anyone had a bad experience with Meguiars ultimate polish? I read mostly good things about this product and bought some and tried to use it today. I applied a small amount on a applicator and rubbed it into the front fender and it hazed up instantly and I couldnt buff it off. I had to wash it off and I went over it with pink wax to get it off and then applied Meguiars NXT wax with good results. I read on Meguiars forum some paint has a bad reaction but not very often.

2. oldmodman

oldmodman Well-Known Member Established Member

The only "ultimate" meguiars product I have tried was the wax, and it went on and off with ease.

You are referring to the polishing compound?

3. Black4VPower

4. glittle75

glittle75 Member Established Member

yeah that stuff works better with a machine. you cant let it dry. With a machine you will be working the product before it has a chance to dry, and taking it off immediatly.
    If your doing it by hand, try doing a 1'x1' section at a time and taking it off immediately. Pretty much a polish is to remove micro-marring and smaller imperfections. It does nothing in the way of protection. So once you have worked it to its potential and it has broken down, you can take it off right after. Where as a sealant or wax you want to let it cure a little longer. If your not using a machine now, get one. The results of your polishing and waxing by hand and by machine will be night and day

5. Black4VPower

I tried doing a smaller section at a time as apposed to a whole panel and It still hazed up and streaked. It was really hard to work with. I was on Meguiars forum and they said you could use it on one car with great results and once in a blue moon some cars will be finicky. I dont know if this is the case or I just need a machine.

6. hwebb78

hwebb78 New Member

Same problem, I was using it with the machine, would haze and harden and had to spray water on it to get it off.

7. wwpalasota

wwpalasota New Member

It did the same on my car. I was doing it by hand. The stuff was nearly impossible to take off. Glad it's not just me.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  8. itzl0l

itzl0l Angry Bald Man Established Member

yea it doesnt work for my car either. ALSO ...this stuff leaves holograms and micro marring on my black 03. I've discovered it has VERY soft clear coat. Ultimate compound also leaves micro marring, but it does so while removing large swirls and minor scratches...i can then finish with any number of other products that remove holograms/marring.

...never been too impressed with their stuff tbh or most other otc stuff either

9. coolcobramatt

coolcobramatt Mystified and terminated Established Member

It's supposed to do that. You have to use a finishing glaze as the next stage to pull out the finer issues.

With that being said, the only Meg's products worth a poop are their Detailer's line, 300/301, 101 etc. If you can buy it at Wally World, skip it no matter what name is on the cover.

OP...read the sticky at the beginning of this section. It will help you.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  10. inyadreems

inyadreems Member Established Member

Did you do a wash and clay before applying? Are you using a foam applicator or MF applicator? How hard are you pressing? Are you using it in direct sunlight and the paint is hot?