Trick to removing power steering?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'm trying to remove the front Bolt from the driver side lower control arm and I'm having an issue having the bolt clear the rack and pinion.

I remove the two bolts that hold the rack and pinion in place but as just can't seem to get the driver side too come loose enough to allow clearance for the bolt to come out is there a trick as to what can be done.

Is it okay to just Yank on the rack and pinion even with the lines connected?
2cea3152dfdee6930816fa942d9511d7.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
crap - MODS - sorry - it posted in the wrong section. I was going for Terminator Talk - but probably belongs in Driveline.

I guess that's what I get for starting a thread from my phone for the first time...

FWIW - The solution for me was go call a friend. I laid on my back pushing the rack and pinion forward and up, and a friend pushed the bolt out while holding the A-Arm at and angle so the bolt would go downward as much as possible. The clearance was still very tight, the bolt still rotated the Inner Tie Rod boot as it came out. Same was true for when we got the new A-Arm in position - it was still very tight. The bolt still rotated the Inner Tie rod boot as we pushed it in position.

I'll add this was just the driver's side that would be an issue. I had enough play on passenger side to easily pull the bolt out.

Users who are viewing this thread