Tri-ax shifter

mambaman

Established Member
i just need some quick install info on this part, can anyone tell me how much i can expect to pay to have one put in by a mechanic?(or are they difficult to install for one who is mechanically inclined?)finally, how do i know if my shift forksare damaged?(i just bought the car, used)thanks

Last edited:

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Shifter install is pretty straight forward...Use the search function to locate a thread w/ instructions...

mambaman

Established Member
ok, it sounds like the uninstall and subsequent install aren't too incredibly difficult, but it looks like getting the original shifter out mgiht require a signifigant amount of force. any suggetsions as to exactly how i might get it out and what i mgiht use so as not to damage anything?thanks

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
It should take about a 30 minutes. I just installed the Pro 5.0 shifter in my car today. I installed one in my 95 GT so this one went a lot smoother. Make sure you buy the RTV Sealer. The only difficult part is pulling the old shifter off. I had a little bit of a hard time with this one. I just rocked it back and forth some then really pulled hard on it and almost busted myself in the head with it when it came loose ;) You may be lucky and it'll come right off for you. Also, it can make it easier if you take the handle off during the removal and install.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> ...how much i can expect to pay to have one put in by a mechanic?

An hour's worth of labor, generally $50.00+. Do it yourself. My install took approximately 45 minutes of TLC.

> ...how do i know if my shift forks are damaged?

You will have difficulty shifting, if at all.

Users who are viewing this thread