Tremec T-56 magnum xl and MGW shifter

benzopyrene

Established Member
Got a new MGW shifter for my tremec on the way. Just about to put the tremec onto the car....anybody know how difficult it is to install this shifter onto the tremec when its in place? Trying to figure out if I should just wait and install it all together. Ill post pics up when I get it in. Cheers!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Its easy it installs from the top! Just wait till the tranny install and install it from the top!

DTL

Established Member
Actually, with the Magnum tilted over a few degrees towards the driver's side (which is how they all are) the shifter bolts on the left are a PITA to get to. If you have the ability to install the shifter while the trans is out of the car, DO IT! I had to "clearance" my trans tunnel a bit to get at those bolts, with everything in the car. Not the worst thing ever, but not awesome either.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Actually, with the Magnum tilted over a few degrees towards the driver's side (which is how they all are) the shifter bolts on the left are a PITA to get to. If you have the ability to install the shifter while the trans is out of the car, DO IT! I had to "clearance" my trans tunnel a bit to get at those bolts, with everything in the car. Not the worst thing ever, but not awesome either.

The last time i spoke to George at mgw they were at work to fix the centering of the tremec shifter! It was about 3 months ago!

DTL

Established Member
It's not the shifter that's offset, it's the entire transmission. At least, if everyone's still using the Quick Time bellhousing. There's nothing you can change on the shifter that'll make any difference, as far as accessing the mounting bolts.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
It's not the shifter that's offset, it's the entire transmission. At least, if everyone's still using the Quick Time bellhousing. There's nothing you can change on the shifter that'll make any difference, as far as accessing the mounting bolts.

If that were the case my stock tremec shifter would be off center and its not!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Picture. It sits perfectly centered!

imagejpg1_zps7c8226a0.jpg

jsimmonstx

Established Member
The bell housing is a tr-8083. I have one for sale if anyone is interested (I needed a different housing for my Windsor swap.

DTL

Established Member
Both. Bellhousings aside, my shifter is centered as well, but underneath, the trans is clocked towards the driver's side of the car. That's what made it tough to get to the left 2 bolts.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I was talking with iceblue over on the all mustang forums. He was the 1st customer to get 1 from mgw he said the shifts are shorter but its noisier then the stock Tremec shifter!

mhyjek

Established Member
I have the same setup as you except different clutch but if you put your shifter in second then do the same on mt8 you will notice it is closer towards you, not by much but noticeable. Which when I had my installed 3 times due to clutch shim problems the installer made me aware of what PITA it is to get in and out because of the bias towards the driverside.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Here is what the first batch looked like for a reference this way when you get yours you can tell the differences:

imagejpg1_zps3eb93f43.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread