tremec magnum xl

Eric@jpc

Established Member
I was down at Hanlon last year when the T56 Magnum first came out to pick up my T45 rebuild kit, and Bob told me it was essentially a TR6060 with direct shift inside a beefed up T56 case. Not trying to contradict you, this may have been the "quick and dirty" answer and not every nut and bolt.

Is there an difference between the T56 Magnum and this XL or is that just sales terminology/branding?

Yea like i said they are close but not totally the same :shrug:

The output is different
The Rear Case is Different
The Shift Selector is different

they are not 100% identical nor are they 100% different.

I can tell you this the Magnum shifts 100% better

95PGTTech

Established Member
Yea like i said they are close but not totally the same :shrug:

The output is different
The Rear Case is Different
The Shift Selector is different

they are not 100% identical nor are they 100% different.

I can tell you this the Magnum shifts 100% better

Thanks for the info.

ScotTFO

Established Member
I know tremec says the trans is good to 700tq though I am guessing many of you are pushing more than that.

How much power does this trans actually handle?

Eric@jpc

Established Member
I know tremec says the trans is good to 700tq though I am guessing many of you are pushing more than that.

How much power does this trans actually handle?

Well i can tell you our car makes over 1100 and its held up pretty good so far.

We also installed one on a GT500 with a Whipple 4.0 E85 powered... He street races like every weekend and it has not broke yet either

:beer:

Eric@jpc

Established Member
My Tremec "magnum XL" blew up on a 2nd gear roll Saturday...and no help from Tremec. Less than 1000 miles...

Pics of damage...no slicks...no track. Street tires on a second gear roll on 11 GT500 with 4.0 whipple. 747rwhp

Not to make light of your situation but you were having some clutch issues. Im not saying that is what caused the issue but im sure it didnt help.

You could of done some damage before your clutch got fixed...

Eric@jpc

Established Member
I was just wondering what the best option is for keeping the car friendly on the street with some track days on the weekends over the summer.

Well the Magnum would fit that no problem. By no means is the a "race" trans but it will hold a decent amount of power. We have been racing with ours for well over a year. It has done a great job holding the power considering the amount abuse we put it through.

We have been 9.0s in the 1/4 with it

darreng505

Established Member
Well the Magnum would fit that no problem. By no means is the a "race" trans but it will hold a decent amount of power. We have been racing with ours for well over a year. It has done a great job holding the power considering the amount abuse we put it through.

We have been 9.0s in the 1/4 with it

Some of the grand am race teams run stock tremecs. So they're good.

sadil

Established Member
Racing isnt even my concern. Realistically, I dont know how many track days I am going to do in the near future, I just want a reliable transmission that is strong enough to take a beating and puts a smile on my face when I am going through the gears. I dont drag race, so any aggressive use will be on a road course. I just don't want a annoying street drive.

Eric, can you swap the over-drive gears from the 2.94 into the 2.66. Extra cost?

Users who are viewing this thread