Tremec Magnum t56---smoother shifting?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I had a 3650 in my 01 Bullitt and it was smooth, but then I bought my 2016 Challenger and the T-56 was way smoother than the 3650.

The Challenger has the 6060. Different beast than the T-56. The Magnum and 6060 are the same transmissions.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Magnum is the aftermarket brother of the OEM TR6060. They are both an evolution of the T56.
Amazing trans, the pinnacle of affordable 6-speed boxes that can hold real boosted V8 power.
D&D is great, can’t go wrong there.
-J

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
My TR6060 and Magnum XL both shift great at 7000rpm but I’d give the nod to the XL and integrated direct mount shifter.
Not sure what else you can buy to handle boosted V8 torque and shift this well.
-J

Magnum XL here and it is wonderful. My only 'problem' is when speed-shifting from 2-3 I sometimes end up going 2-5. I wish that spring-loaded 4-5 detent gate was a little firmer.

I do have the Reverse Lockout Module installed and it is terrific. That is a 'must have' IMHO.

FIREBALL

Established Member
D&D says that there is a 26T clutch kit needed with their Magnum transmission kit, Do I really need the whole clutch Kit or could I just get a different clutch plate as my clutch assembly and fly wheel have only 11k miles ? Also I would not be speed or power shifting into 5th or 6th, 5&6 would be for cruising down the freeway--would it still be better to have the lockout?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
.... Also I would not be speed or power shifting into 5th or 6th, 5&6 would be for cruising down the freeway--would it still be better to have the lockout?

I think basically NOBODY speed shifts into 5 or 6, but the reverse lockout module is still a complete 'no-brainer' IMHO. The spring-loaded detent gate between 5-6 and R is rather weak.

I bought my Roush a couple of years ago and the previous owner's shop had the lockout module wired wrong (a common mistake) so it wasn't even working. I drove it like that for a month or two, but never liked the thought of shifting into R at 70mph, so I called the vendor and he quickly diagnosed the issue. I switched two wires and it was fixed.

With the wiring corrected I then realized the full benefit of the module. It automatically activates at speeds above 5mph, and it dramatically increases the effort required to shift from 5-6 into R: ONLY WHEN ACTIVATED (at speeds above 5mph). It is a very nifty piece of kit.

Last edited:

FIREBALL

Established Member
Well I pulled trigger on the D&D Magnum trans and kit. I still need to know if I can just buy a 26T clutch plate and not a whole clutch kit with pressure plate? Also need to know if shifter that comes with the magnum is a good one and if better than the stock shifter that came with our cars like on my 3650-------Man I can hardly wait to get the trans installed!!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Well I pulled trigger on the D&D Magnum trans and kit. I still need to know if I can just buy a 26T clutch plate and not a whole clutch kit with pressure plate? Also need to know if shifter that comes with the magnum is a good one and if better than the stock shifter that came with our cars like on my 3650-------Man I can hardly wait to get the trans installed!!

Depending on the clutch you should be able to order just the disc. A buddy of mine did that for his Spec clutch when he went to a T-56.

I have no clue about the shifter though. Keep us posted.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice choice, I love my Magnum XL.
D&D would know about the clutch set up also, they do it all.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread