Treadstone FMIC vs CX Racing FMIC *results inside*

racerbox77

Established Member
The most important part which is the reason I posted was to show how restrictive the CX racing 3" coolers are they are simply to small for a v8. They are rated at 700cfm and this treadstone I have now is rated to flow a little over 1400. An S trim's max flow is 1050 so buying a 3" cxracing is a restriction even on the entry level blowers.

Where did you get the cfm info on the CXRacing intercooler? I called them direct today and the guy said they dont have any #'s on the Foxbody same side inlet/outlet coolers. He also said I'd "be better off going with a name brand intercooler". I had him repeat himself cause I couldnt believe he said that. He then said basically their prices are low cause they buy the cores from over seas and you get what you pay for. :dw:

I recommend staying away from that company.

Also I am pretty sure Treadstone uses Garrett cores which are very good. Also the old PTK turbo kits used Treadstone cores which as I said are Garrett. And here is a company using the same PTK intercoolers http://www.cgfabrication.com/shop/category_4/Ford-Street-Kits.html?shop_param=cid=&
I'm buying this one today http://cgfabrication.com/shop/article_9/5.0-Intercooler--Kit.html?shop_param=cid=4&aid=9&

Last edited:

dwtjr3

Established Member
I have been trying to follow this thread the whole way, but i never heard a definite answer. Did OP see rwhp improvements on the dyno?

Chances50

Established Member
If you google CX racing intercoolers some where in there some site listed cfm flow for them.

I haven't had it on a Dyno yet, I was supposed to Wednesday but I think I might have a blown head gasket. I'm going to pressure test it this weekend and pray its just a fluke.

Ever since I installed this motor it would gurgle in the overflow never thought much about it when I installed the blower every now and then when I would run it hard coolant would leak from the overflow so I installed a new cap that seemed to fix the issue for a couple weeks then it did it again, well when I swapped to the new Intercooler I went out for a test drive the first time I hit WOT it started spewing worse than ever (makes more boost explains why it pushed more coolant) I asked around and had a few people say that sounded like a head gasket... So I'll make sure that's the deal then yank it apart and fix it. Idk the actual hp gained but if you have a 500+ hp car and you do a mod and you can feel a big difference then you gained a decent amount of power. Also I'm return style so it should have had plenty of fuel I don't think it went lean at all.

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
You went WOT in a car that is possibly making 5 more lbs of boost without thinking it would go lean? I feel bad for that engine.....

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
Yeah the fuel system totally would have recognized all that extra air coming in and added the fuel necessary to correct the A/F lol. Hell my car had lean spots switching to just an off road midpipe, adding that much more air without a corrected tune.....great idea hahaha

Stanger00

Established Member
Yeah the fuel system totally would have recognized all that extra air coming in and added the fuel necessary to correct the A/F lol. Hell my car had lean spots switching to just an off road midpipe, adding that much more air without a corrected tune.....great idea hahaha

:lol:

Chances50

Established Member
Boost referencing fuel pressure regulator add 1lb of fuel per lb of boost also how was I supposed to know it was going to make 5 more lbs of boost?

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
how was I supposed to know it was going to make 5 more lbs of boost?

....today I swapped in a TR 12 Intercooler 4.5x12.5x22 core size I picked up 5lbs of boost from just upgrading to this Intercooler!

Even if your regulator is boost referenced I would not consider it safe going WOT with the extra boost without knowing for sure. Unless you have a wideband to keep an eye on it I would wait, then again I put extra care in things that could potentially cost me thousands of dollars to rebuild.

Chances50

Established Member
Oh well shit happens. I'll get new head gaskets on it and go back for a retune. I should have waited to watch a/f, but I didn't expect that much boost and being that I'm return style it's my understanding as long as your MAF curve is right my regulator should add the needed fuel.

Also it did this on the first hit! Not like I knew it was making the extra 5 lbs and hit it, a soon as I seen boost hit 16 I about shit my self then seen steam from coolant going everywhere.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Oh well shit happens. I'll get new head gaskets on it and go back for a retune. I should have waited to watch a/f, but I didn't expect that much boost and being that I'm return style it's my understanding as long as your MAF curve is right my regulator should add the needed fuel.

Also it did this on the first hit! Not like I knew it was making the extra 5 lbs and hit it, a soon as I seen boost hit 16 I about shit my self then seen steam from coolant going everywhere.
Possible blown head gasket SUCKS, I keep my A/F low 11's screw that 12.1 Shiate!!

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
First off, does blown head gasket = lean?
Second, it wouldnt be ideal, but shouldnt the MAF table take care of the added boost? Unless you pegged the MAF

Zacharyx

Established Member
First off, does blown head gasket = lean?
I would say more that he lifted a head,

Second, it wouldnt be ideal, but shouldnt the MAF table take care of the added boost? Unless you pegged the MAF

If tuned well in the beginning there should be room for the colder days where air is more dense ( prob not 5# but some room) I would never go WOT in any FI car without a wideband regardless if it was tuned or not.

Chances50

Established Member
I'm wondering if it lifted a head also because I did a compression test today and all were within 161-171, going to get a leak down tester tomorrow and see what I can figure out from that. If that checks out ok I'll pull the valve covers and retorque the bolts and put it back together and hope for the best.

After this little ordeal I'll be ordering a wideband next week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread