Treadstone FMIC vs CX Racing FMIC *results inside*

Stanger00

Established Member
I believe you, just trying to make sense of it. From experience I'm use to putting a less restrictive exhaust on my car and seeing less boost, or opening up the heads and seeing less boost. But I'm in no way calling you a liar, just trying to understand how removing a restriction after the blower creates more boost.

You just answered your own question. Just think of the restrictive intercooler as unported heads and a restrictive exhaust. With the larger intercooler there is less pressure being built in it because it can flow more volume (CFM).

Because of this the manifold will read higher pressure because of the extra volume of air that is getting to it.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Nobody else seems concerned with how well it is cooling the charge temps?

You can run no intercooler for the least restriction, but we know how well that works out...

Stanger00

Established Member
We're all still waiting to hear how the retune will go. He can't really go out and data log WOT runs to check IATs. He will blow the motor if he did that right now.

Chances50

Established Member
by looking at the two side by side its easy to see the treadstone will cool better than the cx racing.

The treadstone is bigger has more cooling area the fins are clean and clear where air can actually pass threw the cooler vs the CX racing i could hardly see threw it inside or out.

Last edited:

Zacharyx

Established Member
I believe you, just trying to make sense of it. From experience I'm use to putting a less restrictive exhaust on my car and seeing less boost, or opening up the heads and seeing less boost. But I'm in no way calling you a liar, just trying to understand how removing a restriction after the blower creates more boost.

see below

you have a fixed space ( the intake manifold) that has a leak ( air moving into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust) at one flow rate from the blower( the cx racing intercooler in the path from blower) you build 11 psi meaning you have more air in the space than is leaking. Now increase the flow into the space ( switching to the treadstone unit) you have even more air pushed into the space causing higher boost. You did not create a restriction you increased the volume of air.

More efficient intake/exhaust paths increase the rate that the air leaks out keeping less of the air pushed into the space in the space meaning less boost

the power pipe allows more air to be pushed into the space by the blower creating a similar scenario as a more free flowing intercooler.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Look at it as if the old Intercooler wasn't letting the air the blower is pushing past so I had a ton of pressure built up between the blower and intercooler. When you remove a restriction downstream from manifold vaccum you will lower boost. But in this case the motor simply wasn't getting all the air that the blower was pushing.

Take your car for example, if you stuck a sock in between the blower and the throttle body your boost would decrease because the sock won't allow the air to get to the motor, remove the sock and now all the air the blower is pushing now has a open path to the motor where it's pressure is actually read.

This is correct.. Your blower is pushing 1500cfm of air. The intercooler only allows 1000cfm of air through it.. Boost is measured at the manifold so there for only 1000cfm of air is getting to the manifold showing you 10psi..

Now you get a intercooler that rated at 2000cfm and now the full 1500cfm of air the blower is producing is actually getting to the manifold now your boost is 15psi.. There for you removed a restriction and boost was added.

That is how is works before the engine uses it. Now to lower psi at the manifold after you have a proper working intercooler is done through heads, cams, exhaust, etc. How effiecient the motor will decrease boost but increase the power because it's using the air that the blower is producing..

Not much to it guys there ya go :beer:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
This is correct.. Your blower is pushing 1500cfm of air. The intercooler only allows 1000cfm of air through it.. Boost is measured at the manifold so there for only 1000cfm of air is getting to the manifold showing you 10psi..

Now you get a intercooler that rated at 2000cfm and now the full 1500cfm of air the blower is producing is actually getting to the manifold now your boost is 15psi.. There for you removed a restriction and boost was added.

That is how is works before the engine uses it. Now to lower psi at the manifold after you have a proper working intercooler is done through heads, cams, exhaust, etc. How effiecient the motor will decrease boost but increase the power because it's using the air that the blower is producing..

And it only took 50 responses to get the truth. There is NOTHING else to argue. 98saleen summed it up perfectly. I would have sooner but tapatalk sucks dick to type out long replies

Stanger00

Established Member
And it only took 50 responses to get the truth. There is NOTHING else to argue. 98saleen summed it up perfectly. I would have sooner but tapatalk sucks dick to type out long replies

Haha, we all get. Always that one kid in class.

And yes, using tapatalk is a pita. It's all I use.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member

Haha, we all get. Always that one kid in class.

And yes, using tapatalk is a pita. It's all I use.

It's funny I kept reading and reading and I was thinking "someone has got to explain this easier I mean really it's not that hard of a concept" but nope.. Finally had to sit down and type it out.. Out of all my procrastication I could have posted like 30 posts earlier but didn't.. I fail. lol :beer:

Chances50

Established Member
I couldnt think of the correct way to explain it. I honestly was confused as to how it's not self explainatory. (spell check)

hittinboost

Established Member

Well said! :rockon:

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
this thread sucked, let me know when the OP retunes it and actually has some numbers. what a frustrating thread of bickering. OP wish the best results for ya though!

2003GTIZZLE

**** YO COUCH NIKKA!
Established Member
Amongst all the bickering a few noticed the most obvious point....you went from a 3" core to a 4.5" core and were surprised at an increase of flow? Thats like putting in a 75 horse jet and then bumping up to a 150 horse jet in a nitrous kit and wondering why it made more power.

Apples to apples would have made more sense if you were trying to prove a point, which Im not sure you were, you just want to make more power which we all do.

I do have a 3" CX racing intercoolaide that I have run for 3 seasons, never let me down, car sees 9.1 lbs of boost with a 3.33 pulley on a tired V1. IATs on the dyno were fantastic and as I mentioned the car has never let me down boost always there when I need it no matter what the weather. That cheapo intercooler is enough to let the car run consistent 11.40 flat in the 1/4 with minimal cool down. I really dont think these are a bad product at all, so be fair in comparing them is all I am saying.

Love,

JTR

Chances50

Established Member
Amongst all the bickering a few noticed the most obvious point....you went from a 3" core to a 4.5" core and were surprised at an increase of flow? Thats like putting in a 75 horse jet and then bumping up to a 150 horse jet in a nitrous kit and wondering why it made more power.

Apples to apples would have made more sense if you were trying to prove a point, which Im not sure you were, you just want to make more power which we all do.

I do have a 3" CX racing intercoolaide that I have run for 3 seasons, never let me down, car sees 9.1 lbs of boost with a 3.33 pulley on a tired V1. IATs on the dyno were fantastic and as I mentioned the car has never let me down boost always there when I need it no matter what the weather. That cheapo intercooler is enough to let the car run consistent 11.40 flat in the 1/4 with minimal cool down. I really dont think these are a bad product at all, so be fair in comparing them is all I am saying.

Love,

JTR

Fair in comparing them? no matter how you slice it the CX racing intercooler just doesnt flow enough, yes at lower boost im sure itll work but when you start trying to run more than 700cfm through it it becomes a very big restriction. reguardless if the treadstone is bigger or not the CX racing should not hold back 5lbs of boost! I never looked at the IAT's of the CX racing i was more concered with why i was short on boost/power.

What i have done here isnt an uncommon thing, do a quick google search and you will read about many that have went from the cx racing 3" to even a CX 4" and pickup power and boost. all my point was to show people how big of a restriction a CX racing intercooler can be.

Also i wasnt suprised that it increased flow i was suprised it increased it that much. IMO the CX racing 3"x31x12 intercoolers are way to small for ANY V8 mustang.

My point for this was to help save someone the money and headache i had.

:beer:

Chances50

Established Member
this thread sucked, let me know when the OP retunes it and actually has some numbers. what a frustrating thread of bickering. OP wish the best results for ya though!

word with all the retards that cant understand that when you remove a restriction you increase flow it got out of wack.

Ill post up what it does when i get it retuned. looking for high 500's low 600's.:banana:

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member

Love,

JTR

The CXRacing is a coin flip for how efficient the cooler will be. I have seen those cheap coolers lower boost by like 5psi and then the exact same intercooler on another car will only lose like 2psi. I would rather invest the money any day to get it right the first time than risk having a messed up setup. Going cheap seems great when you are a lucky one and things work out, not so much for the guy who gets the unlucky end of that stick chasing issues from cheap parts.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'm lucky if i'm losing a lb of boost through the Godspeed 3", it's hitting 15psi with a 3.1 and stock crank damper, we were only expecting 11-12...
When Chances does a tune revision your gonna see a power increase but 90rw would be an incredible feat..

Users who are viewing this thread