Treadstone FMIC vs CX Racing FMIC *results inside*

Chances50

Established Member
Ive been running a CX racing 3"x12x31 FMIC and was seeing 11lbs with a 3.125/ stock crank setup on a v2 S trim. I've read about people switching to a treadstone and picking up boost, we today I swapped in a TR 12 Intercooler 4.5x12.5x22 core size I picked up 5lbs of boost from just upgrading to this Intercooler! Thought I would share this for anyone that is thinking about going to a FMIC setup.

I'm going in a couple weeks to have it retuned I hope to see another 90rwhp.

This is the cooler I bought.

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...5&phot_key=730

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
I'm just throwing this out there, but boost is only a measurement of restriction. And going by that logic, wouldn't you want to see less psi with the same mods?

Chances50

Established Member
In a sense yes. But not in this case I removed a restriction. On the blower side pressure dropped because of the better flowing IC. The car is now getting more air to it vs before hand.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Did you remove the bumper support? i don't know how there could be room with a 4.5" wide core? And damm your expectly 625RW? I'd be Very impressed with that! 90RW just switching Intercoolers?

Chances50

Established Member
Yeah I cut a 31" center section out of the bumper support. The 90hp is just a guess based off of what it made hp per lb last time which was 19.45hp per lb. I know it pulls way harder!

f2hatch

Established Member
I just picked up the treadstone TRV25o for my current round of mods. OP Goodluck with the retune.

Chances50

Established Member
Oh ok. Best to go to treadstones website and look for the TR12 they offer it in a 3.5" and 4.5" core I went with the 4.5".

crazycarlo

Established Member
Congrats for gaining some psi back but a more fair comparison would be to switch to a treadstone FMIC the same exact size to see if you gained loss any. Either way post up the results when you get retuned.

Chances50

Established Member
The most important part which is the reason I posted was to show how restrictive the CX racing 3" coolers are they are simply to small for a v8. They are rated at 700cfm and this treadstone I have now is rated to flow a little over 1400. An S trim's max flow is 1050 so buying a 3" cxracing is a restriction even on the entry level blowers.

crazycarlo

Established Member
I had one on my 98 and with a 3.33 pulley i was seeing 10-11 psi. Thats right on par with most everyone else. Regardless thats awesome. A huge 4.5in cooler is awesome. Do you have any problems with it blocking airflow to your a.c condenser?

hittinboost

Established Member
I'm just throwing this out there, but boost is only a measurement of restriction. And going by that logic, wouldn't you want to see less psi with the same mods?
This.

In a sense yes. But not in this case I removed a restriction. On the blower side pressure dropped because of the better flowing IC. The car is now getting more air to it vs before hand.
If you removed a restriction then boost would decrease. Boost is simply a measurement of back-pressure, the more boost you have the more back-pressure there is.

You say pressure dropped, but it didn't, it increased by 5psi.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
This.

If you removed a restriction then boost would decrease. Boost is simply a measurement of back-pressure, the more boost you have the more back-pressure there is.

You say pressure dropped, but it didn't, it increased by 5psi.

Depends on where you measure and in most cases its at the intake manifold AFTER the intercooler....

hittinboost

Established Member
Depends on where you measure and in most cases its at the intake manifold AFTER the intercooler....
Well to check whether the intercooler is more restrictive or less restrictive wouldn't you have to measure pressure after the intercooler anyways? OP said he gained 5psi, I'm assuming that's measured after the intercooler. I've never in my life heard of boost increasing from removing ANY restriction. :shrug:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Well to check whether the intercooler is more restrictive or less restrictive wouldn't you have to measure pressure after the intercooler anyways? OP said he gained 5psi, I'm assuming that's measured after the intercooler. I've never in my life heard of boost increasing from removing ANY restriction. :shrug:

Most people gain 2-3 psi by adding a powerpipe. 5 psi is extreme though. Best way is to measure boost drop across the intercooler with 2 gauges

hittinboost

Established Member
Most people gain 2-3 psi by adding a powerpipe. 5 psi is extreme though. Best way is to measure boost drop across the intercooler with 2 gauges
Your right, a powerpipe will increase boost, but that's before the blower. Let me rephrase, I've never heard of boost increasing from removing a restriction after the blower.

Zacharyx

Established Member

in this case removing a restriction allowed more air to flow past the previous restriction and stack more air up in the intake, unless he is measuring boost at the blower outlet, which is highly doubtful

What would be a nice comparison would be to to have pre IC and post IC air temps for both intercoolers.

dwtjr3

Established Member
in this case removing a restriction allowed more air to flow past the previous restriction and stack more air up in the intake, unless he is measuring boost at the blower outlet, which is highly doubtful

What would be a nice comparison would be to to have pre IC and post IC air temps for both intercoolers.

^this, this is what i am curious about. I have a CX racing IC, the only reason i got it it was cheap. I have all intentions of switching it out to the one the OP has one day, ive heard nothing but good about treadstone IC's, but with 11psi i didnt see the CX racing IC being too big of a restriction, guess i was wrong tho?

Zacharyx

Established Member
I've never heard of boost increasing from removing a restriction after the blower.

try this,take a straw place a cloth on one end and blow through the other, now replace the cloth with a piece of screen wire, which one has more force behind the air on the opposite end?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread