Transmission Woes

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Well, the fifth gear synchronizer has decided it's had enough. It grinds going into fifth unless I shift very carefully and slow. I've never opened a transmission before and I don't think this is the one to learn on so I'm looking for advice on what to do. I think a rebuilt/refurbished trans is in the $3,500 range which is not the option I particularly care for. I'd like to just have to this one rebuilt with higher quality components or maybe just have the synchros replaced. With the exception of the typical whine, clunks and other mt82 charm there's no other issues I've experienced.

I've had the car for 3 months. It's has 20,800 miles on it. I've fitted a Barton hybrid 3 shifter (trans mounted) and an off-road h pipe. It is otherwise stock. This car is a weekend cruiser and my most prized possession lol. I love this car.

So what would you do? Spring for a rebuilt/refurbished? Have it gone through and rebuilt with aftermarket bits? Just do the synchros? None of the above? I'm all ears

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Id look at a built MT82, downside to the T56 is the high RPM of the boss motor. Also you need a better Clutch/flywheel combo. Which has been the weak link from the factory. While your at it add a 1pc driveshaft.

None of the options available are going to be cheap.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Funny the ‘13 Boss 302 LS I’ve been driving this summer (helping my dad sell
It BTW) has that EXACT same issue at 16k miles. Blown 5th syncho. All else normal. I’ve talked to Ben Calimer and you’re looking at $1200-1500 for a basic rebuild with upgrades. Funny he was not at all surprised and said the syncro package before 2014 would fail in even normal use.
Add in a quality clutch/lighter flywheel and you’ll address the al I’d main issue with the Boss—the trans!
I had saved my complete take out TR6060 for this car, but my dad was firm on keeping it original. Unless you’re going boosted and big power, a Calimer trans upgrade will fix the MT82 issues and not require other changes.
Funny I’ve just gotten used to the 4th to 6th skip so if the trans is otherwise fine, you might find it’ll last a long time.
Good luck
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If you can swing it, and are going to stay N/A, I'd throw the MT=82 away and buy a TR-3160.
You know, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the TR3160 sold outside of OEM. Still, we know it connects to a Coyote and fits in the S197/S550 chassis.
It’s a smooth operator definitely better suited to the NA Boss than a TR6060/Magnum XL.
Now just to get the ‘21 Mach 1 rev match feature to work!
-J

KBBoss302

Established Member
SID297 has the right idea. I've owned 2 Bosses and now a GT350R. The 3160 is night and day better than the MT82 - and I went through everything to make it better: Blowfish bracket, Whiteline bushing, MGW, RST clutch, etc. Even with all of the that, the 3160 is so much better to shift especially above 7k rpm and it certainly feels more robust. If I ever get another Boss, I will 100% put a 3160 in it.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Me and my wallet were afraid everyone was going to recommend ditching the mt82. I can't currently financially justify that. A different trans/clutch/shifter/drive shaft/whatever else needed to do the swap just isn't in the best interest of my finances.

I'm going to send my to trans to calimer for a stage 1. He said to throw the stock clutch away and put in a McLeod RST. I will if I have to but I'd rather not drop $1K on a clutch and flywheel.

I found a guy with a hays dragon claw clutch he's willing part with it for a decent price. I can't really find much info on it. Does anyone have any experience with it?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Me and my wallet were afraid everyone was going to recommend ditching the mt82. I can't currently financially justify that. A different trans/clutch/shifter/drive shaft/whatever else needed to do the swap just isn't in the best interest of my finances.

I'm going to send my to trans to calimer for a stage 1. He said to throw the stock clutch away and put in a McLeod RST. I will if I have to but I'd rather not drop $1K on a clutch and flywheel.

I found a guy with a hays dragon claw clutch he's willing part with it for a decent price. I can't really find much info on it. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Follow the recommendation of your transmission rebuilder. Do not over look this. Otherwise you will spend the money at least twice with the same end result. This hobby is not cheap. And those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

PC03GT

Established Member

Buy once, cry once....like said above go with what Ben tells you

KBBoss302

Established Member
RST is the one mod that allowed me to finally shift above 7k rpm without lockout. It really did transform the car. I was running a 7900rpm rev limit for years and the RST never prevented a shift, unlike the OE clutch (and a Spec Stg 1).

RST will usually have a bite point right at the top of the pedal travel. Do yourself a favor and install this at the same time. Makes the car so much better in traffic.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member

I have a calimer stage 2 and an RST. I am low boost and it works really well. Not racing mind you.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Appreciate everyone's advice. This is my first manual transmission problem.

After my year end bonus I'll get the McLeod RST, flywheel and probably a stage 2 from Calimer ordered.

Should I do the slave cylinder and throw out bearing while I'm in there? The bearing looks like a bear to get out.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Appreciate everyone's advice. This is my first manual transmission problem.

After my year end bonus I'll get the McLeod RST, flywheel and probably a stage 2 from Calimer ordered.

Should I do the slave cylinder and throw out bearing while I'm in there? The bearing looks like a bear to get out.

Yes do both. Pilot bearing comes out fairly easy with the bread trick.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Yes do both. Pilot bearing comes out fairly easy with the bread trick.
I just read about that and watched a couple videos. I had never heard of it and it seems too good to be true. Have you used this technique?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I just read about that and watched a couple videos. I had never heard of it and it seems too good to be true. Have you used this technique?

Yes. It is like magic. You need a punch or something close to the id of the bearing. Doesn’t need to be tight or anything just close enough so the bread doesn’t squish out too much.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Yes. It is like magic. You need a punch or something close to the id of the bearing. Doesn’t need to be tight or anything just close enough so the bread doesn’t squish out too much.
In the videos I watched both fellas used a bolt. One guy used a brass hammer and I still don't understand why.

I saw they made a puller for it but Oprah Winfrey and Tom Cruise willing I'll never do this again so I'd rather not waste money on it.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
In the videos I watched both fellas used a bolt. One guy used a brass hammer and I still don't understand why.

I saw they made a puller for it but Oprah Winfrey and Tom Cruise willing I'll never do this again so I'd rather not waste money on it.

I will say it seems like you use a lot of bread. Just keep cramming it in there.

Users who are viewing this thread