Transmission refill capacity

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
My 02 came with straight Mercon when it was new. You can use Mercon V as Dusten said, because they phased out straight Mercon and replaced it with Mercon V. I still use the Dexron III/ Mercon because it is identical to the original Mercon requirement. Yes, 6 or seven quarts may do you, always have one or two more than you need is a safer guarantee you have enough.

36FORD Mike

Established Member
My $0.02 worth on the Dexron/Mercon subject.

GM came out with Dexron trans fluid in the '60's and copyrighted the name Dexron. It was upgraded to Dexron II, and then Dexron III. Dexron III is backwards compatable with Dexron and Dexron II. Dexron V and above are different animals.

Ford Switched from thier Type F fluid to a new formula around 1977 and it's interchangeable with Dexron III, they didn't want a GM trademarked product listed for their vhehicels, so they named it Mercon. Mercon and Dexron III are basically the same.

Motorcraft may have discontinued Mercon, but Dexron/Mercon is available at any auto parts store in multiple brands, Valvoline, Castrol, Royal Purple, etc etc

I prefer to stick with the original spec Mercon even though lots of smart people are saying its ok to switch to Mercon V. Unless i decide to totally desassemble the trans, I would be mixing the two together which I don't want to do.
Just my opinion.

Thinking about a Moroso 4250 Pan while I have it apart. Adds 2 more quarts. Thanks for your help.

Dusten

Established Member
My $0.02 worth on the Dexron/Mercon subject.

GM came out with Dexron trans fluid in the '60's and copyrighted the name Dexron. It was upgraded to Dexron II, and then Dexron III. Dexron III is backwards compatable with Dexron and Dexron II. Dexron V and above are different animals.

Ford Switched from thier Type F fluid to a new formula around 1977 and it's interchangeable with Dexron III, they didn't want a GM trademarked product listed for their vhehicels, so they named it Mercon. Mercon and Dexron III are basically the same.

Motorcraft may have discontinued Mercon, but Dexron/Mercon is available at any auto parts store in multiple brands, Valvoline, Castrol, Royal Purple, etc etc

I prefer to stick with the original spec Mercon even though lots of smart people are saying its ok to switch to Mercon V. Unless i decide to totally desassemble the trans, I would be mixing the two together which I don't want to do.
Just my opinion.

Thinking about a Moroso 4250 Pan while I have it apart. Adds 2 more quarts. Thanks for your help.

I ran mercon V at the behest of my transmission building. Mercon V and Mercon III are compatible with each other.

When did ford discontinue mercon? My new 10R80 runs Mercon LV...

36FORD Mike

Established Member
Ok, I drained the fluid and got 7 quarts. I went ahead and installed the Moroso pan and it took a little over 9 quarts to refill.
I like the pan, it came with studs instead of bolts so its easy to get it and the gasket lined up. I had to change the filter to a Motorcrafr FT113.
The new pan has 2 drain plugs so I won't have the huge mess dropping the pan makes. I think I'll be draining the fluid every time I change the oil, yeah I won't get but a third of the total capacity changed, but it should help.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread