Transmission redone and new clutch. HELP! with identifying noises/solutions

ATFPat

Established Member
I'm leaving out names of shops that worked on the cobra but they're well known for good work. I use the one shop all the time and have nothing but good to say about them. I understand that sometimes "Things" happen with installation of parts (faulty Parts etc).

Driving the car and pulling in 2nd gear, I ended up causing this. I was little mad because I honestly drive the car like an old man. It's a Sunday driver and I use it to get milk etc at the stores.

FFCAD760-6532-4E62-8C09-7D44DAD9DAE1.jpg

I ended up taking to a shop that took the transmission out and sent it to another facility for an upgrade. The following was done/replaced.

- McLeod SPL Duel Disc Clutch with flywheel and throwout bearing
- Solid 3-4 keys, guide pin, no walk tail shaft bushing, clutch fork, bearings etc
- 26 Spline Input Shaft!

Durring install, they ended up putting a stock clutch cable in which replaced my adjustable fire wall one. The reason I say this is because I still think that this is where the issue is from.

Anyways I pick the car up and upon start up I get the "wet" belt noise, normally caused by a throw out bearing. It is very very noisy to a point that when they installed everything, they contact the transmission place to make sure everything was done properly. I was told that the noise might be from 1st and 2nd gear being older than 3rd-4th gear and that it may need to wear in?

I still think it's something with the cable because as soon as you lightly hold it down, it goes away. I also notice that when the clutch pedal is all the way up and sitting, its very loose as in you can kick it up and down, it's like there is no tension on the cable after a certain point while coming up.

Any help or suggestion would be GREAT. I was told to drive it around and if the problem doesn't correct itself, to bring it back. I'm honestly loosing my mind because I was looking forward to getting a new throwout bearing in it due to the light noises it was making prior to snapping the input shaft. After all the money I spent, I have the same noise but ten times louder.

Would an adjustable cable fix this issue? I was told that there is an adjusting piece on the transmission already so one at the firewall was not needed?

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Kindof sounds like TO bearing noise; Ive never ended up with the loose pedal at the top.

I wouldn't touch a thing....let the shop make the repairs. If you start messing around they are more likely to try and dodge making it right.

Thats all worst case scenario. Maybe they will be cool with you trying to figure it out.

In my opinion, the factory cable is best.

Last edited:

ATFPat

Established Member
I checked the clutch cable where it connects to the quadrant and there is NO tension at all. The cable is completely off but I'm also reading that you can get a "dud" TOB. I was going to adjust the cable but I think Ill wait till the salts off the roads and send it back in.

Users who are viewing this thread