transmission for turbo which one?

termcobra281

Established Member
I have decided to let go of my built t56 for a auto. I am building a single turbo 03 cobra. My question is I want to get a nice transmission for a street/strip car. The car will be at the 1,000 wheel hp range. I like the thought of the 4r70 with the OD. I know a lot of people go with a th400 but it has no OD. The 6r80 is a pretty high dollar set up and I really like the thought of shifting since I really like the manual transmissions. I just know the auto is the way to go at this point with a turbo so I am gonna do the right thing and go auto. So guys please give me the ups and downs on different transmissions and which you guys prefer.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Sounds like it depends on your budget. If I were to ever go auto I want the 6R80. I've driven a couple cars with it and it's a nice trans. Being able to manually shift it would just make it sweeter for me.

termcobra281

Established Member
Sounds like it depends on your budget. If I were to ever go auto I want the 6R80. I've driven a couple cars with it and it's a nice trans. Being able to manually shift it would just make it sweeter for me.
I agree with the manual shift. Thats what holds me back on it. Plus the big price tag.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
If you go with the 6r80 get a lokar shifter and you can manually shift through the gears. Or with the quick6 its also a one wire hookup to use your cruise control buttons to shift as well. The transbrake is also built in to The controller. 04 6r80 swap thread has all the updated parts list you will need for the swap and theres a bunch of us that have done it and can help with questions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using the svtperformance.com mobile app

termcobra281

Established Member
If you go with the 6r80 get a lokar shifter and you can manually shift through the gears. Or with the quick6 its also a one wire hookup to use your cruise control buttons to shift as well. The transbrake is also built in to The controller. 04 6r80 swap thread has all the updated parts list you will need for the swap and theres a bunch of us that have done it and can help with questions.

that's cool. I will have to check that out.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
6r80 has the Billet hard parts available like the Billet planetary and sprag. Its gonna be a little heavier than others transmissions tho but so what it doesn't stop guys from going 7's with em at 180+ mph.

U won't need the Billet Planetary or sprag at a 1000 hp but u will need the Exedy clutches and billet output shaft.

If u get an entire setup with select shift u can still shift the gears with a button. I do every time I line up against some one on the hi way. Put in 3rd and smash it but I usually don't shift to 4th with the button I just push the shifter forward. The line pressure when doing that is much faster than clicking the shift button into 4th.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
isn't changing to a 6r80 a pretty in depth swap?
I'm leaning towards a 4r70 myself

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
No its pretty straight foward wiring the quick6 contoller is pretty easy, and all parts are off the shelf so theres no need for custom driveshafts or other parts. I think by now the 6r80 has proven to be better than the 4r70.

termcobra281

Established Member
Looks like to me they are having trouble with the controller. That is a big concern ofr me.
No its pretty straight foward wiring the quick6 contoller is pretty easy, and all parts are off the shelf so theres no need for custom driveshafts or other parts. I think by now the 6r80 has proven to be better than the 4r70.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
There was some issues with it having an error after a burnout, they had a software update that supposedly took care of it. Most problems people post about the controller are usually something wrong with the persons car or their wiring. The only problem ive had is it wouldnt stay in manutronic mode..... but one of my wires came loose once i fixed that i havnt had any other issues.

termcobra281

Established Member
There was some issues with it having an error after a burnout, they had a software update that supposedly took care of it. Most problems people post about the controller are usually something wrong with the persons car or their wiring. The only problem ive had is it wouldnt stay in manutronic mode..... but one of my wires came loose once i fixed that i havnt had any other issues.

Awesome. Glad to hear this.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
If not the 6r80, look into a 4L80E. Similar to the 4r70w but with th400 strength. Plus you still have OD and a lock up converter.
I currently have a 4r70w in my 03 Cobra and if I don't swap to a 6r80 it will be the 4L80 for sure.

Ken

1windsor1

Established Member
If not the 6r80, look into a 4L80E. Similar to the 4r70w but with th400 strength. Plus you still have OD and a lock up converter.
I currently have a 4r70w in my 03 Cobra and if I don't swap to a 6r80 it will be the 4L80 for sure.

Ken

What's your issue with your 4R?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
What's your issue with your 4R?
Nothing as of right now, but when I strap on a Gen5 Whipple 3.0L and start hunting for 900-1000 rwhp (fully built 10:1 compression motor) I question the strength of it.
It's a Lentech Strip Terminator with OD and Lock up.

Ken

1windsor1

Established Member
Ah ok. Thanks for the reply. I'd say you still may be good with the 4R at that power without going through the expense of a Chevy trans swap.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Ah ok. Thanks for the reply. I'd say you still may be good with the 4R at that power without going through the expense of a Chevy trans swap.
Probably true!
Really liking the idea of the 6r as I think it will be a bit quicker at the track with it verses the 4r since the shifts will keep the RPMs up more and not drop down below torque peak as much as the 4r. Plus with a few upgrade parts they are nearly bullet proof! All of that is a bit down the road since I still have to put the motor together and get the Gen 5 Whipple.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Freddy brown 4R with lock up no OD here. Trans brake and manual valve body. It’s a blast to drive. I’m running 5.5@124 and I’m turning it up. EST power is well above the 1k range.
Mine is rated for 1500hp. I wouldn’t worry about the strength of if. It’s a lot of fun to drive

termcobra281

Established Member
Update I am going with the 4r70. I am getting built now. Its gonna have all the goodies and I have the option to run it in drive in case I wanna chill with a controller or go full manual and shift myself I came across a really good deal on it and I couldnt pass it up. Should be fine for me if not I will upgrade later.

Users who are viewing this thread