Transmission Fluid Change

Willbilly

Established Member
Hi guys,
I read the FAQ for 99-01 cobra (i have the 01) and decided that instead of using the specified Merchon for my transmission I would use the suggested Syncromesh from Penzoil.

My question is: will my tranny fluid change the way my transmission feels?

Ever since i went with syncromesh it takes just about all i have to force the car into gears. It's difficult on all four gears, OD, & reverse.

I have a feeling it's not the tranny fluid change but i wanted to confirm. My next step would be to check the clutch cable, and then after to take it to a transmission shop and get their opinion.

Thanks

omj

Established Member
My shifting got better going from RP Synchromesh to Amsoil ATF, esp when cold.

svtaddict

Established Member
went from mobile one to amsoil atf the difference is dramatic. i will never go back

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
They (Mobile 1 Syn ATF users) insist that there will be no difference. I disagree, especially when the temps get really cold. There is a difference.

87Foxbody

Established Member
Always use the stock clutch cable. Aftermarket cables always stretch and break no matter what brand you use, I would order one from the ford dealer it will work a lot better(might add a firewall adjuster) I've been through just about every cable out there and always find myself putting the stock cable back on every car I've had or worked on

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
The T56 was designed for used with a mineral ATF. Any transmission builder that knows t56's will tell you to just run Syncromesh and call it a day. Any issues are not to be blamed on the fluid. Synthetic is too slippery for the syncros in these transmissions. I love Amsoil, but for this, it's best to just stick with Syncromesh.

Amsoil ATF improved the shifting in my t56 with 45k on it, but that's probably just because the old stuff was just old and broken down. My Trans is coming out next month for a full rebuild and I'm going back to Syncromesh. Every builder I have talked to recommends it.

Users who are viewing this thread