Transmission clunking

malibu78

Established Member
I have a gt a6 clunks when going from park to reverse, park to drive, drive to reverse, reverse to drive. Started this morning only 680 miles on it. Any ideas what it may be?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Its the movement of your 2 piece driveshafaft, i'm replacing mine with a dynotech when i take it in for my na build!

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
The stock drive shaft has a center section bearing assembly, also a cv joint at the back so there are a ton of moving parts , so there are many opportunities for noise. The dynotech ds is 1 solid piece no cv joints so no noise, trust me, I've been Through this before with other cars. Replace the driveshaft and you won't hear any clunks!

malibu78

Established Member
The stock drive shaft has a center section bearing assembly, also a cv joint at the back so there are a ton of moving parts , so there are many opportunities for noise. The dynotech ds is 1 solid piece no cv joints so no noise, trust me, I've been Through this before with other cars. Replace the driveshaft and you won't hear any clunks!

Is this clunking noise normal?

slowww6

Established Member
Had the exact same issue when I first got my 2016 gt a6. Took it to the dealer and they tightened the driveshaft under warranty haven't heard the noise since.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Let me tell you I've had these driveshafts out on previous vehicles. They look like something from outter space, I never liked the design. They do 2 piece for safety reasons, in an accident the driveshaft breaks in 2 minumizing it from coming through the floor and injuring the driver! Cant wait til my build is done so I can scrap the sucker!

Last edited:

roki187

Established Member
The thump will be there even with a 1 piece drive shaft. Actually it's gets louder. It's the characteristic of the mt-82. I have a dss aluminum drive shaft and dss1400 axles. Noise still there. But it's ok

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
The thump will be there even with a 1 piece drive shaft. Actually it's gets louder. It's the characteristic of the mt-82. I have a dss aluminum drive shaft and dss1400 axles. Noise still there. But it's ok

Did you read the original post, this is an automatic transmission...with an auto a 1 piece ds will solve the problem.

Joseph Land

Established Member
Mine just started it too. 800 miles. It wasn't doing it before I ran performance tests at the strip. Next day it started. But I have a 1 piece shaft waiting for install.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Remember the clunking is not isolated to the driveshaft. It could be something in the differential or even the rear irs. Depending how bad it is you could probably get under car and rotate driveshaft by hand back and forth to see if it's the driveshaft.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put the car on a lift and check everything out including, driveshaft and all your irs and diff bushings. You could always take it in under warranty and see what they say.

gt500_sti_guy

Established Member
The clunking seems to be isolated to the 3.73 and torsen diffs, every pp ive driven has it. Every auto or m6 with 3.31s and 3.55s seem to be exempt. It seems most common on pp. I have heard of a few handfuls of non pp having it but seems a lot more uncommon. However irs and clunking isnt uncommon in a lot of various chassis. Sometimes its the diff itself sometimes its the cradle bushings

Last edited:

randotheking

Established Member
The clunking seems to be isolated to the 3.73 and torsen diffs, every pp ive driven has it. Every auto or m6 with 3.31s and 3.55s seem to be exempt. It seems most common on pp. I have heard of a few handfuls of non pp having it but seems a lot more uncommon. However irs and clunking isnt uncommon in a lot of various chassis. Sometimes its the diff itself sometimes its the cradle bushings
I have the clunking and overall my shifts are jerky and it doesn't want to go into gear immediately, it's almost like you have to ease it in. I'm going to install the Energy Suspension shifter bushing soon, hoping that helps. My 2013 v6 was much better

Users who are viewing this thread