Trans screech/squeal

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I am a proud new owner of an 03 silver tenth anniversary cobra with 23k miles on it. In a nutshell, 2.93 pulley, intercooler, tune, exhaust etc.
I flew out to the washington and drove it all the way down the 101, put 1500 fun miles on my new whip in 2 days unfortunately. Once I was a safe distance from home, about 50 miles I had some people giving me attention. Raced an srt-4 easy win and a 2005-? gto 5.7 or 6.0. I dont know never saw the back of it:rockon:
anyways after starting uphill on 3rd at about 60 mph we gunned it. He got the start but I eeasssily reeled him in and punched fourth as quick as I could. I was not going to lose my first IMO real race. In the end I won, but not without regret. At the end of the race I was going about 120, and threw it into neutral to allow myself to coast back down slowly. I ended up hearing a loud squealing bearing noise from my shifter boot that was louder than with the gear engaged than in neutral. It happened in all gears, without knowing 1 and 2 because I was on the freeway. The noise or pitch didnt change with the clutch in or out, I pulled up on the clutch pedal as hard as I could with my foot, no change. Put in 3,4,5,6 gear all the same noise. The noise gets louder with speed, but not engine speed. I pull over to stop about 10 mins later in a better area to get towed if need be and as son as I hit 20mph, noise is gone. I turn off the vehicle, check what I can see underneath and there are no visible leaks. Open hood, no smells, no smoking gun. I turn her back on and drive. Everything back to normal. I ended up driving up a steep incline for 4 miles and gave her 75% on all gears to recreate it as dumb as it sounds but If a problem were to ever happen again, I want it close to home. I have put about 25 miles since then. Any ideas? Im thinking its got to be part of the main,cluster, or output shaft since it was related to vehicle speed and not input speed.

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
Mine did that. Actually both my cobras did. It was the Throw out bearing. Replaced the clutch while I was in there. Mine only had 74k miles. My other cobra had 130k.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
No it didn't sound anything like that video. That video wa really loud. And again with clutch pressed in, out, or pulled up, the noise was there with vehcile speed and only increased noise by vehicle speed not engine speed. If I revved it in neutral and it was the throw out bearing I should hear the noise increase yes? Because that's not what happened.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
That video was taken right at the end - right before the TOB was just about dead. It won't be as loud as that - but it will be noticeable and progressively get worse with time and use.

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
That video was taken right at the end - right before the TOB was just about dead. It won't be as loud as that - but it will be noticeable and progressively get worse with time and use.

^This. When you rest your foot on the clutch at all it sounds like this but less extreme. Mine sounded like this. When we took it out it fell apart.

Users who are viewing this thread