Trans Cooler Location W/ Low Mount TT

SVT3571

Established Member
Hey guys n gals,

Looking for ideas for fanned trans cooler locations for a low mounted twin turbo car. Everything I've seen online is basically where the driver turbo sits - driver front corner infront of the wheel liner. I swear I've looked my car over too many times and can't find a suitable spot for it!

- still running fuel tank so under the spare tire well isn't an option
- would like to avoid putting it infront of my FMIC
- car has full exhaust so muffler locations not possible ("dope mount")
- above FMIC not possible - dual BOVs

Any ideas? I think I'm SOL o_O Anyone have custom mounting around their car due to similar issues?

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
How custom are you willing to get? Maybe inside the spare tire well with vents to pick up air?

SVT3571

Established Member
How custom are you willing to get? Maybe inside the spare tire well with vents to pick up air?

I don't mind mounting it inside the trunk / well with holes for the lines to go down and up to trans, I can make any kind of brackets needed etc. Just can't think of anything else on my own haha, that's definitely an option though. Wonder if it would be okay under the "floor" carpeting inside the trunk?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't mind mounting it inside the trunk / well with holes for the lines to go down and up to trans, I can make any kind of brackets needed etc. Just can't think of anything else on my own haha, that's definitely an option though. Wonder if it would be okay under the "floor" carpeting inside the trunk?
As long as you can get air to it. I've seen them mounted flat under the body. But they had fans on them.

SVT3571

Established Member
As long as you can get air to it. I've seen them mounted flat under the body. But they had fans on them.

Mine has a fan, but I read that mounting them flat really reduces the cooling ability - "dope mounting" as everyone's calling it online

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Depending on how ambitious you want to get, you could even make one of the side scoops functional and take air from that, whether you mount the cooler in the quarter, trunk, or under the body.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
How thick is your intercooler core? If it's 4.5" or under, you absolutely can fit this in front of the core, but you need a new bumper bar and to ditch the factory bumper bar and foam. This is how we did mine in 2016 and this cooled very well with a B&M Hi-tek cooler.
KrJKUkPl.jpg

Last year I went to a huge 6" Garrett intercooler and no longer had room in the bumper so we had to put it in the back like this. I used a Tru-cool max core and a couple small perma-cool fans. It fits tight back there, but we made it work. It also does not cool quite as good as it did in the bumper. The recovery time is longer. I would prefer to have it up front.
F3WVrCjl.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
How thick is your intercooler core? If it's 4.5" or under, you absolutely can fit this in front of the core, but you need a new bumper bar and to ditch the factory bumper bar and foam. This is how we did mine in 2016 and this cooled very well with a B&M Hi-tek cooler.
View attachment 1706663

Last year I went to a huge 6" Garrett intercooler and no longer had room in the bumper so we had to put it in the back like this. I used a Tru-cool max core and a couple small perma-cool fans. It fits tight back there, but we made it work. It also does not cool quite as good as it did in the bumper. The recovery time is longer. I would prefer to have it up front.
View attachment 1706664

slightly off topic - did removing the crash bar and replacing it with that do anything for IAT/coolant temps or does it not really matter with the bumper cover in place?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
slightly off topic - did removing the crash bar and replacing it with that do anything for IAT/coolant temps or does it not really matter with the bumper cover in place?
I don't know tbh, I never did a before and after. If it did, I am sure it was minimal. The biggest affect on IAT is the core you use.

Users who are viewing this thread