Trailering you car

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Does anybody make permanent tie downs hooks to mount on the car or do you just wrap the tie downs around the axles and LCAs? I thought I saw some before, but can’t find them now. I am also wondering if my ML55 will be fine to pull it I know it has more then enough power just worried about the tongue weight. The trunk is rated at 500 Ibs tongue weight and 5,000 Ibs load. I have a dual axle open vehicle trailer and a dual axle closed car trailer I can use and I actually think the closed trailer is the lighter of the two. Was thinking of loading the car backwards so the motor is over the axles. Any comments.

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
Like this?

204cx2

204cy9

204d2g

http://www.csdcustomauto.com/csdparts.htm

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
toofast4u said:
Does anybody make permanent tie downs hooks to mount on the car or do you just wrap the tie downs around the axles and LCAs? I thought I saw some before, but can’t find them now. I am also wondering if my ML55 will be fine to pull it I know it has more then enough power just worried about the tongue weight. The trunk is rated at 500 Ibs tongue weight and 5,000 Ibs load. I have a dual axle open vehicle trailer and a dual axle closed car trailer I can use and I actually think the closed trailer is the lighter of the two. Was thinking of loading the car backwards so the motor is over the axles. Any comments.

Do you have Ford OEM IRS LCA's? If so, you can run your tiedown strap right over the arm and cinch it down. If you need a pic, I think I could dig one up?

How long is this enclosed trailer you're talking about? A 24' steel enclosed trailer will weigh approximately 4,000# depending on Mfg. Even with the car in backwards, your tongue weight will be WAY over 500# IMHO? You won't know for sure until you weigh it? What the heck is a ML55? :shrug: Best bet is to weigh the tow vehicle without the trailer, then with the empty trailer, then finally with the car loaded in the trailer. Until then, it will be a game of pure speculation?

Keep us posted!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I know the enclosure has thin aluminum sides. My brother has pulled the enclosed trailer several times with his F150 which has a 500 Ibs tongue rating and my Uncle uses it to haul his classic Mustangs to shows behind his regular Chevy truck. I guess I need to call my uncle and see if he knows how much it weights.

Mercedes Benz ML55 AMG it is a SUV.

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
The Mercedes will not be able to tow the enclosed trailer safely. It's all about wheelbase and weight ratios. If the vehicle being towed, plus the trailer towing it weighs as much or more than the vehicle which is towing it (especially a short wheelbase such as your ML), then even with a weight distribution hitch and anti sway device, your an accident just waiting to happen. The only trailer you could tow behind your ML safely would be a trailex custom built open trailer (I suggest electric brake and not surge brakes). I spent the better part of 15 years towing other peoples cars (open and enclosed trailers) to shows and to track events. I've seen guys with setups like yours looking at the gross tow rating of the vehicle and not realizing that while you can safely tow up to 5,ooolbs (in your case), you could not safely tow the combination that you chose. Lots of people will say, it cannot happen to me, but these same guys are the ones scratching their head from the emergency room wondering what happened after that tractor trailer went by at 70mph and their rigs jacknifed or worse, flipped over on their side in a ditch somewhere......The word here is caution, the other word is common sense.....Please use both at your descretion. The life you safe could be my own.

Thanks for listening(reading).

Sincerely,

Bill S.

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
ditto what mr. mustang said....it would be much too dangerous to use the MB to tow even an open car trailer....For towing, I went with the longest pickup I could get, a diesel F350 crew cab with an 8' bed, single rear wheel, as the dually really would make the truck awkward to park anywhere around the city streets where I work....I tow a 24 foot V-Nose enclosed trailer, all aluminum (3000 pounds) with the 2000R (4000 pounds) and all of my tools and spare parts, weighs close to 9000 pounds....I dont even know its back there....never any sway passing or being passed by semi's....

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
by the way, those tow hooks look pretty nice! What I've always done is to run the straps right through my wheels to tie the car down, never a problem with the car going anywhere....however, towing antique and classic cars, I usually wrap around the rear axle and front frame/suspension, which can be a real pain on long low cars, especially prior to restoration - too much grease and grime under them, not to mention sharp corners on frames and suspension components that could cut the straps....which I replace about every 3 years or if there is any sign of fraying....

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
NJ2000R said:
ditto what mr. mustang said....it would be much too dangerous to use the MB to tow even an open car trailer....For towing, I went with the longest pickup I could get, a diesel F350 crew cab with an 8' bed, single rear wheel, as the dually really would make the truck awkward to park anywhere around the city streets where I work....I tow a 24 foot V-Nose enclosed trailer, all aluminum (3000 pounds) with the 2000R (4000 pounds) and all of my tools and spare parts, weighs close to 9000 pounds....I dont even know its back there....never any sway passing or being passed by semi's....

I know what you mean. I was borrowing my cousins 74 F100 beater with a 460 and blew that motor up on the way home from dropping my motor off to be rebuilt. :bash: So I had to get the truck down to my cousins shop in the Keys which is 120 miles away. I borrowed my uncles trailer which is the open one and made out of steel with wood boards and loaded the F100 up, but my brothers 04 F150 slammed the rear hard and there was no way we could use it. So my Uncle let me borrow his brand new 04 F350 FX4 with the 6.0L Diesel and every bell and whistle. That thing can pull and drive like it was nothing. What amused me was according to the computer I averaged 12.8 mpg down there with full load on the highway. Then I averaged 12.9 mpg back up with just the trailer on the highway. That was confirmed as I filled up before I left then down there and then when I returned and the down there and return was very close to the same amount of fuel.

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
I had my mechanic weld "custom tow hooks " on the front K-member of my 03 and two on the rear frame as well. Works great for strapping down. About an SUV pulling an enclosed trailer, I agree with the others. I had an Expedition (with the 5.4L engine) when I first got my car and trailer, but the 10,000 pounds was too much for it. I traded it for a Suburban with the 8.1 L engine. That plus the weight distribution hitch make it an acceptable tow vehicle, but even it is stressed by big hills. A good sized diesel truck would probably be a better choice, but having kids and liking the other features of my SUV - including using it as a daily driver (when not using my 03) - it is a good compromise for me.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I am sure the ML55 has enough power especially since I am in South Florida our biggest hills are the trash dumps. It has a 5.5L V8 under rated at 342 hp and 376 ft-lbs with a 5 speed auto and full-time 4wd and weights close to 5000 Ibs. It was the fastest SUV made until the Porsche Cayenne Turbo came out. My wife would "never" let me buy a pick-up truck. Her two limitations to my toys are no vette and no pick-up truck. I understand what you are saying about the wheelbase. I will have to borrow a truck or drive it to the track. My problem driving it to the track is if, when, I break something.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
inVision said:
Please post some pics of your R - the s60R that is...

I can take some pics when my wife comes home it is her car. It looks like a regular S60 on the outside except for the 18" rims, 13" brakes with 4-piston Brembo calipers front and rear, and small spoiler.

Here is Volvo's site with more info.
http://apps.volvocars.us/r/

I told her I was going to take it to the SVTOA meet at Sebring if my car is not done. So she responded I thought it was only for Fords. So I replied Volvo is a Ford made vehicle and she was not amused. :pepper:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
ya know those oval holes on an angle in the frame rails?? those are t-hook holes. its the preferred method of tying down a vehicle. (yes, i was a towboy)

t-hook.jpg

there are also tie downs that go over the tire, but when towing i prefer to load the suspension of the towed vehicle.

overtirestrap.jpg

and of course who doesnt need the cobra hitchcover with lighted eyes...
cobrahitchcover.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ShelbyGuy said:
ya know those oval holes on an angle in the frame rails?? those are t-hook holes. its the preferred method of tying down a vehicle. (yes, i was a towboy)

t-hook.jpg

John:

Those would be ok for an open trailer or a flatbed. But I can't imagine getting them hooked in using an enclosed trailer. My arms aren't THAT long!! ;-)

cobra1993svt

Established Member
Ive been trailering my Cobra for 5 years now and I use axle straps for both the front and the rear of the car. There is no damage from using these straps what so ever. I got them from either Summit racing or Jegs. They are made from the same stuff the my ratchet tiedowns are name of.
P.S, Looking for a new/used opened car trailer since mine was stolen If anyone knows of any for sale.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread