~ Traction issues....

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
A buddy of mine and I were coming home from a meet today and found ourselves at the light....side by side. I think we all know what comes next....

I was all over the place, traction wise I could not get a grip!
His car is very similar to mine however he has stock mid pipe, ROUSH mufflers, 3.31's and a Bama tune vs my GT500 axle back, JBA after cat mid pipe, 3.73's and FRPP pro-cal

He pulled on me due to traction issues....
Did it again at a 40 roll in 3rd gear and I pulled on him easy everytime.

I have the stock GT500 GY f1's and I thought they would have helpped me.....but nope!
I had no wheel hop thx to the lca relo brackets.

What can be done to fix the traction issue?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Hard to hook these cars on the street. I have Kumho 285s and I can hook up ok. I am not going to launch the car hard with these tires though.

CharlieR

Established Member
What can be done to fix the traction issue?
Make less power and/or get some 2.73's in the rear. Or if those seem anti-productive more practice to maximize available traction will help some. Drag Radials can help some. The last 2 combined will help immensely. All 4 you'll be dead hooking on the street in no time(friend may still win the race though :shrug:)

:poke:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
You guys got the same tires?

He has the stock pirellis 245 width....mine are the 285's.

Im gonna have to start figuring out how to launch a tad better it seems. Im not really a drag 1/4mi kinda guy, more into road course & handling. But in this instance it presented itself so I thought I would take advantage of it.

Practice ....... :shrug: I guess.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
i ran another 12 gt with identical mods as me besides it was a 3.31 vs 3.73 debate. A first gear roll for us resulted in him spinning the 1-2 shift with the 3.73s and I didnt. A 20 roll up to 130 resulted with me winning by a 1/2 car length with no car pulling on another.

It's all about traction. 3.73s are great for a stock/slight bolt-on car. At the track they tend to get in the way if you have to shift into 5th. I'll line up a 3.31 gear 5.0 vs any other from a roll without hesitation. My 3.31 car doesn't have issues trapping almost 121 in the 1/4 mile n/a.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Like a couple others said add some MT or nitto drags

Users who are viewing this thread