Traction Control Issues When it’s turned off

Gruca

Established Member
Whenever I turn off the Advanced Trac (hold button for 5 seconds) the brakes start to act funny. If I slide the rear end at all, the brakes come on and sound like they are grinding. If I merely take an on-ramp at a speed above 25mph, the brakes apply by themselves and I feel like I’m about to crash. None of this happens when I leave it on though. Anyone ever have this issue?

Gruca

Established Member
Forgot all about this thread. ABS light comes on and the low traction light blinks. This sometimes happens when just going 30 on an on-ramp. Makes the car completely unstable and if I wasn’t expecting it, could cause me to lose control.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
Seems like some sort of wheel speed sensor or steering position sensor might be bad? I have heard of the wheel speed sensors going out on these cars.

Also - just to be clear, when you hold the traction control button down, you have your foot on the brake, right? If not, it leaves the car with a small layer of stability control on.

basspro302

Established Member
I had a rear abs sensor go bad at 50k miles. Need to pull codes and/or drive it with a capable scan tool and monitor the wheel speed sensors. Ive had them drop out and not throw a code.

Gruca

Established Member
Seems like some sort of wheel speed sensor or steering position sensor might be bad? I have heard of the wheel speed sensors going out on these cars.

Also - just to be clear, when you hold the traction control button down, you have your foot on the brake, right? If not, it leaves the car with a small layer of stability control on.

Yup, foot on brake, hold traction button for 5-6 seconds until it says Advanced Trac off. I just found I have a slightly bent drivers side axle. I’m replacing the axles and reluctor rings. I guess I mine as well do the sensors while I’m in there.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

FJohnny

Established Member
I have a similar experience with my '14 GT. Even with stability control off (and always when it's on) I sometimes get the antilock engaging and brakes being applied around aggressive corners. Is there any chance you have changed tires so that backs are different diameter from the front tires?

I put on a 275/40/19 on rear with the brembo wheels in back and still have the original 255/40/19's on the front. About .6 inches taller in rear. Ford Performance assured me that this would not cause any activity in my braking and sensors but they were most definitely WRONG! Thanks for that.

Luckily I don't track the car and am mostly going in a straight line when the foot is to the floor.

It is definitely disconcerting when the brakes apply for no reason and I can fully understand why you are concerned. It feels like you are going to slide right off the outside of the curve. Big drag!

Good luck with your issue. Mine will be fixed when tires in front or back wear out. Hope yours will be as easily remedied as well.

All the best.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
With respect to non-square tires, I've not run into any problems and my tire differences are similar. 285/40/18 (27.0") in the back and 265/40/18 (26.3") front.

On a road course I run it Sport Mode (quick double tap of button) which is Traction Control Off and with less aggressive stability control. Sometimes I forget to re-enable the setting after re-starting the car and have not noticed any ill effects as you and the OP has described.

FJohnny

Established Member
With respect to non-square tires, I've not run into any problems and my tire differences are similar. 285/40/18 (27.0") in the back and 265/40/18 (26.3") front.

On a road course I run it Sport Mode (quick double tap of button) which is Traction Control Off and with less aggressive stability control. Sometimes I forget to re-enable the setting after re-starting the car and have not noticed any ill effects as you and the OP has described.

You are fortunate indeed. I have tried both the double tap and the push and hold with brakes applied for five to ten seconds until the 'stability control off' lights up and have still had the same results.

Perhaps you have never been running a bit late for a tee time and been forced by events beyond your control to hit the on and off ramps to the freeway a bit harder than the car likes? No one wants to be late for a tee time. It's really inconsiderate and maybe down right rude to your fellow players to make them wait. And we don't want that, do we?

I wish I had your stability control. I am clearly unstable.

Thanks and all the best.

Gruca

Established Member
I have a similar experience with my '14 GT. Even with stability control off (and always when it's on) I sometimes get the antilock engaging and brakes being applied around aggressive corners. Is there any chance you have changed tires so that backs are different diameter from the front tires?

I put on a 275/40/19 on rear with the brembo wheels in back and still have the original 255/40/19's on the front. About .6 inches taller in rear. Ford Performance assured me that this would not cause any activity in my braking and sensors but they were most definitely WRONG! Thanks for that.

Luckily I don't track the car and am mostly going in a straight line when the foot is to the floor.

It is definitely disconcerting when the brakes apply for no reason and I can fully understand why you are concerned. It feels like you are going to slide right off the outside of the curve. Big drag!

Good luck with your issue. Mine will be fixed when tires in front or back wear out. Hope yours will be as easily remedied as well.

All the best.

I have 275/40/19 all around on an Avant Garde wheel. Everything is the same size. I read that the older part number reaction control module had issues. I bought the newer version but haven’t brought it to the dealer to get it paired with my vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

FJohnny

Established Member
I don't play golf so I was never late for tee time. Sounds like you need a Caddy...

Ha ha....I had a Caddy once. Made me look fat and old. Hated that.

Now that I'm fat and old I'm worried that a Caddy would make me look fit and young. Next thing you know I'd be a target for every young waitress at the club. (Am I supposed to call them 'servers' now?) Anyway, I'm a happily married man and I can't afford the temptation. The CTS-V is for the young. I'll stick with my fly-under-the-radar old man style Mustang, thanks.

The Caddy would look good on you, though.

Users who are viewing this thread