~ Track vid

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
WOW, what a day! Great weather and a great FIRST Road Course experience!

I used to have respect for Corvette's, but not after today.....first session of the day was nothing but waiting for Vett's to wave me by. My car handled GREAT, but a little advice for those who plan on taking their 5.0 out on a rd course: Upgrade the Brakes & Rear Sway bar. Two main things I could have used today, then a set of race seats.
Even so ,the car out performed the majority of the vette's and every other mustang out there today. Can't wait to do it again!

On the straight away: 6th gear @ 5500 rpm I was around 130 mph

Here's a video & some pics...(Last one is a photoshop of three pics, all cars in the shot are my car)
I have some GoPro footage as well that I will get edited and post later.

NCCAR Track Day Aug 2012 (Session 1) - YouTube

DSC_1874.gif

DSC_1880.gif

DSC_1885.gif

Last edited:

NASCAR5.0

Established Member
Awesome! Road racing is addicting!
What other tracks do you have near by?
If you plan on doing more events you will want to swap out your brake fluid for a DOT4 fluid to prevent it from boiling.
Why do you say you want to change out the sway bars? What tires are you running and what sizes? Are those GT500 wheels 19x9.5 all around?

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Awesome! Road racing is addicting!
What other tracks do you have near by?
If you plan on doing more events you will want to swap out your brake fluid for a DOT4 fluid to prevent it from boiling.
Why do you say you want to change out the sway bars? What tires are you running and what sizes? Are those GT500 wheels 19x9.5 all around?

I was debating changing out the rear sway bar, but it already has 24mm stock....which is 2mm thicker than the FRPP upgraded sway bar and already the size most people went to when upgrading the 05-09's.

SO, I think I will just add a rear strut tower bar to complete the rear chassis stiffening (That will make a completed square. For those who say the rear doesn't need stiffening take a look at the BOSS LS X-Brace. Which I wish I could get.

I already have plans to upgrade the brakes (GT500 calipers, Slotted rotors, SS Lines & Dot4 fluid)

Tires Im using now are the GT500 Goodyear F1's. Very good perf on the track this weekend. Not once did I lose control of the car, or feel slipping. The wheels are the forged 19's off the shelby too.

01mnrelgraycbra

Established Member
I was pretty impressed at how well your 5.0 did @ nccar. Looked to be predictable and fairly "light" on its feet. Wish my 87 would have been out of the body shop instead of being stuck in the pig better known as the camaro.

cobra1718:
NCCAR is located just north of Roanoke Rapids, off of 95 near the NC/VA border.

310 Technology Drive,
Garysburg, NC 27831, USA.

cobra1718

Established Member
I was pretty impressed at how well your 5.0 did @ nccar. Looked to be predictable and fairly "light" on its feet. Wish my 87 would have been out of the body shop instead of being stuck in the pig better known as the camaro.

cobra1718:
NCCAR is located just north of Roanoke Rapids, off of 95 near the NC/VA border.

310 Technology Drive,
Garysburg, NC 27831, USA.
thanks I used to work in Roanoke Rapids too far away from Hickory

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice job with the videos. Was impressed with how flat the car corners on a stock suspension.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks RT. Missed the note about suspension changes. Still impressed with how flat the car corners:)

OP, if you are using adjustible Koni's where did you set the struts/shocks?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Thanks RT. Missed the note about suspension changes. Still impressed with how flat the car corners:)

OP, if you are using adjustible Koni's where did you set the struts/shocks?

:bored: It appears that I may be wrong about the Koni's, as his sig does not reflect these.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Currently the only suspension mods to the car are the FRPP P-springs (1" Drop) However I just took advantage of the TOkico summer sale and got a set of D-Specs and thier 1.4" drop springs for $479 total! :banana:

Along with the GT500 mounts & a BMR Adj PHB it all should be installed before my Nov 9th track day at V.I.R.

Thanks for the compliments, I too was VERY impressed with the car adn the GY Supercar tires...never once did I lose control of the car and as you can see pretty much the fastest car in my class that day.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
It seems to me that the majority of interest on this forum is focused on Drag Strip 1/4 mi Track events......vs Road Course style track stuff.

Why is that, do people not Road Course thier mustangs? You really should, they are perfect for that style of racing....

Just a thought, I see a ton on 1/4mi stuff....but zero talk about road course which is what Im into. Suspension/brake mods effecting handling......my past experience on the road track is that these cars are plenty fast enough (enough so that we can keep up/"push" the corvette crowd!) Any faster on the straight away and a mandatory Drive Shaft upgrade is needed (at roughly 140ish) I hit 134 last time out easy enough.

Struck me as odd is all.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
looks good, but those vettes are old and weren't much in stock form. That being said i'm glad chevy guys underrate our cars, even with a live axle we got something for em!!!

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Why is that, do people not Road Course thier mustangs? You really should, they are perfect for that style of racing....

I'm actually running the gt/cs for the first time at NJMP in September. If you're looking for road course chat any of the Boss 302 forums/boards are a good start. If you're really looking for the hardcore stuff, Corner Carvers site is it. But they kind of run the whole site like smackdown so beware.

Mxfrench

Established Member
Well I 1/4 mile race because the track is 70 miles away. If I were to RR I have to drive 134 Miles. So 1/4 it is. I think about it like golf, just takes one good pass and your hooked.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
If I were to RR I have to drive 134 Miles.

Consider yourself lucky, most are further away from any good rr track.

As OP mentioned 2010+ cars are pretty well setup for a road course compared to any previous Mustang. Still most people I talk to are leery due to the track fees, consumable cost (tires, brakes, etc) plus the risk of crashing your car. On the flip side you usually get 4-6 15 or 20 minute sessions on track which is a lot more seat time then you ever get drag racing. IMO, it's also a lot more entertaining and definitely worth the time and money investment. Most people I know were hooked after the first day.

Users who are viewing this thread