TR6060 gear sets

sleek98

Established Member
Is it possible to change out the 1-3 gear ratios in the TR6060? With around 700 hp and 675 wtq to the tire and 3.73 rear gears I was thinking it might help to have a 2.29/1.61 ratios (out of a ZR1) vs the 2.97/1.78 that come stock in my car.

First gear is completely useless, and 2nd gear sucks from a 40 roll as its too low in the rpms. 3,100ish at the moment.

I am running a 555R in a 275/40/20 right now, thinking of going to a 305/45/17 MT next year.

Reason thinking this would be a good roll gear as its 4,100 in 1st and it is basically the same multiplier that came stock in the 13/14 Gt500 (2.66*3.31=8.8) (2.29*3.73=8.55)

What are your thoughts. I like the higher rear ratio (3.73) for 3rd and 4th, but it makes 1st completely useless with out running a full slick all the time.

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Established Member
I don't see why that couldn't be changed out, other than the fact that the clutch would wear out pretty quickly. The first/second gear ratio is very similar (if not the same) that is used on the Boss 302R Race cars. They come with a T56, but of course that is the same internals.

Have you considered a factory 13/14 trans? Their first/second ratios are 2.66/1.82.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Its technically possible, but you would have to have a custom counter geatshaft cut. Your mainshaft has the synchro sliders and idler gears, but your countershaft is 1 solid machined shaft.

Idler gears are easy to replace for ratios, relative to trans rebuilds. Best bet is to find a Magnum XL with 2.6 first and regear to a 3.31, or 3.50ish if they make an 8.8 gearset.

sleek98

Established Member
Its technically possible, but you would have to have a custom counter geatshaft cut. Your mainshaft has the synchro sliders and idler gears, but your countershaft is 1 solid machined shaft.

Idler gears are easy to replace for ratios, relative to trans rebuilds. Best bet is to find a Magnum XL with 2.6 first and regear to a 3.31, or 3.50ish if they make an 8.8 gearset.

Thanks. I was hoping I could swap out gears but I didnt think about the countershaft.

Was planning on having my trans rebuilt when I threw in a clutch if it was possible to change out rations but it doesnt look like that is going to work. Looks like 15's for street duty it is.

I don't see why that couldn't be changed out, other than the fact that the clutch would wear out pretty quickly. The first/second gear ratio is very similar (if not the same) that is used on the Boss 302R Race cars. They come with a T56, but of course that is the same internals.

Have you considered a factory 13/14 trans? Their first/second ratios are 2.66/1.82.

Good point on the clutch, I have thought about the 13/14 trans but they are a little hard to come by and i would need to get a new driveshaft as well so I might as well go with the Magnum at that point to get the direct shift linkage, even though I think the MGW I have is awesome.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread