TR-6060 to XL conversion kit?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks to me like the shifter would be located several inches forward of ours. I can't find a good picture to illustrate. But here's a pic of the Magnum XL.

awr-tukt16901_xl.jpg

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Looks to me like the shifter would be located several inches forward of ours. I can't find a good picture to illustrate. But here's a pic of the Magnum XL.

View attachment 1648650

Thanks Cat, that is what I was wondering? Even though the shifter mounting in that kit has two locations by turning the shifter around, it still did not seem to look like the picture you added, I have studied that picture previously and the tail kit "appears" to be a different shifter location, maybe the tail kit is longer? I also question what they are talking about with the tail housing being an F-body take-off?

R

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The tailshaft is longer, but the GT500 shifter is extends back past the end of the stock tail housing. I could be wrong, but I think the mounting location is such that you might use this in something that had a 4-speed. In other words, much older vehicles. If I could find a pic of Tob's transmission cradle with the shifter mounted, it would be more apparent. I couldn't find one.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The tailshaft is longer, but the GT500 shifter is extends back past the end of the stock tail housing. I could be wrong, but I think the mounting location is such that you might use this in something that had a 4-speed. In other words, much older vehicles. If I could find a pic of Tob's transmission cradle with the shifter mounted, it would be more apparent. I couldn't find one.

Oh........Maybe this is a tailshaft kit for someone to use a Challenger, Camaro or GT500 TR-6060 in a restomod application.......Not an XL mod to get away from the remote shifter in the newer model cars?

R

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm thinking 60s through 90s cars that someone wants to convert to a 6 speed. I think this conversion in a S197 is going to come in about where the front cup holder locates in the console.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I'm thinking 60s through 90s cars that someone wants to convert to a 6 speed. I think this conversion in a S197 is going to come in about where the front cup holder locates in the console.

Cat - And that is with the shifter located in the front option with this tailshaft? In the second picture it appears that the shifter can be installed in two different ways, one way with the "TREMEC" on the shifter plate in front of the shifter and then the other way (flipped around) with the "TREMEC" behind the shifter. <<<That seemed like an advantage for multiple applications for this tail, but that does not mean that the S197 GT500 is one of those applications.

R

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I didn't notice that, but even then, I don't think it's far enough back. Look at the transmission mounting bracket locations in relation to the shifters.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I found a photo. Here's a GT500 transmission and shifter.

IMG_1327z_zpsc6e16508.jpg

tailhousing.jpg

Last edited:

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
I was asked in another thread to comment here since I have a XL in my car. I don't know if it has any relevance to this tail shaft kit, but the entire magnum XL transmission does fit with the shifter being very close to the stock location in my '07. After awhile I could not discern between shifter locations. I needed a different driveshaft, but it came with the package I bought.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It's pretty obvious to me it won't work. Here's another shot I found. The top photo is similar to the tail housing that was being asked about at the outset. Now none of these are sporting the correct bell housing for the GT500. The basic case length, excluding the tail housing is the same length as the TR6060.

TREMEC-Magnum-F-6-speed-2-623x1024-1.jpg

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Ok, so I have another question as it relates to the Magnum XL install. One website that sells the complete conversion, XL, driveshaft, shifter, optional clutch, flywheel and TOB "also" mentions that the "flywheel must be changed" on the GT500.......Is this true? The Magnum XL "as received" from Tremec can not be directly bolted to either the oem bell housing OR use the provided scatter shield without a flywheel change? The oem flywheel can not be used? I thought it was strange because I did not notice that information on other websites that sell the Magnum XL for the S197 Mustang.....and then of course the shorter driveshaft install......

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I was asked in another thread to comment here since I have a XL in my car. I don't know if it has any relevance to this tail shaft kit, but the entire magnum XL transmission does fit with the shifter being very close to the stock location in my '07. After awhile I could not discern between shifter locations. I needed a different driveshaft, but it came with the package I bought.

Another thing I noticed as it relates to the shifter.......MGW has a shifter specific to the Magnum XL install and it appears to adjustable around the center shaft, at least that is the way it appears? This meaning the shaft sticks up out of the shifter body and the handle is adjustable around that shaft........It says "adjustable for position and height".

MGW Aftermarket Racing Shifters

R

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Another thing I noticed as it relates to the shifter.......MGW has a shifter specific to the Magnum XL install and it appears to adjustable around the center shaft, at least that is the way it appears? This meaning the shaft sticks up out of the shifter body and the handle is adjustable around that shaft........It says "adjustable for position and height".

MGW Aftermarket Racing Shifters

R
I'll dig into mine and see what it looks like. It's been a few years since I did the change to the XL. I'll report back.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I'll dig into mine and see what it looks like. It's been a few years since I did the change to the XL. I'll report back.

Thanks.

Can this be directly bolted in place without doing anything to the clutch, flywheel and TOB? and either use the 2 piece scatter shield that comes with it from Tremec? or use the oem bell housing with the XL bolted behind?

R

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Thanks.

Can this be directly bolted in place without doing anything to the clutch, flywheel and TOB? and either use the 2 piece scatter shield that comes with it from Tremec? or use the oem bell housing with the XL bolted behind?

R
When I did my change over the transmission was shipped directly to a shop I use when I was doing an engine rebuild. My RXT clutch was swapped over with the steel fly wheel. The XL was a used unit and has the SFI bell housing from Tremec. Everything according to the shop bolted up fine.
The one issue I had/have is car wants to move a little with the transmission in gear and clutch depressed. The shop adjusted the spacing between the slave and the clutch several times, but it still is off just a little.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
When I did my change over the transmission was shipped directly to a shop I use when I was doing an engine rebuild. My RXT clutch was swapped over with the steel fly wheel. The XL was a used unit and has the SFI bell housing from Tremec. Everything according to the shop bolted up fine.
The one issue I had/have is car wants to move a little with the transmission in gear and clutch depressed. The shop adjusted the spacing between the slave and the clutch several times, but it still is off just a little.

So the issue you currently have is that the clutch is not completely disengaging?

I have seen this S197 XL swap on multiple websites and from what I have found, only one says that the flywheel "must be changed". I know there are a few flywheel options and some are relatively inexpensive (just over a couple hundred bucks), but it would be nice to buy the XL, swap it out by just a Magnum to Magnum XL trans. swap and then install the new cross member and driveshaft and be done with the project and store away the scatter shield that comes with the XL in the attic.

Did you do the 2.97 or the 2.66 1st?

R

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
So the issue you currently have is that the clutch is not completely disengaging?

I have seen this S197 XL swap on multiple websites and from what I have found, only one says that the flywheel "must be changed". I know there are a few flywheel options and some are relatively inexpensive (just over a couple hundred bucks), but it would be nice to buy the XL, swap it out by just a Magnum to Magnum XL trans. swap and then install the new cross member and driveshaft and be done with the project and store away the scatter shield that comes with the XL in the attic.

Did you do the 2.97 or the 2.66 1st?

R
Correct that is my current issue.

I have the 2.66 1st gear. The 2.97 was gonna be to short with 3.73's out back IMO, plus the .5 6th gear cruises nice on the Interstate.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Correct that is my current issue.

I have the 2.66 1st gear. The 2.97 was gonna be to short with 3.73's out back IMO, plus the .5 6th gear cruises nice on the Interstate.

Yes, that is what I am thinking 2.66. The 2.97 was installed for a 3.31 original gear to "get the engine up quicker" in my 2008 and a 2.66 will work nicer to keep the gear spread/rpm drop closer together (close ratio) with my 3.73's.

R

Users who are viewing this thread