Toyo Proxes R888: best rear tire I've ever used(STUCK!)

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I am still running R888's! I picked up a 2003 Cobra and installed 305-35-18 R888 on the AFS Cobra 10.5" wheels.
No spacers, but I did install the Maximum Motorsports low profile IRS bolts. I also had my fenders rolled just to ensure my expensive tires were never cut!

Toyo%203_zpsczgfs6mg.jpg

Cobra%20irs%20mm%20bolt%20kit_zps4xhn5jnw.jpg

Last edited:

94slowbra1

Established Member
Gee whiz. I sortof skimmed through some of the 23 pages.

Everyone still voting for these over the MT ET Street II?

Been running 295 NTO5s and to say Im not impressed is generous. Im working on picking up some new rims so Ill have 11s out back. Also about to add long tubes and E85 and shoot for around 700RWHP. Im not terribly worried about cornering but Im tired of spinning at any speed or RPM in 2nd gear.

I just bought a beater so I dont even take the cobra in the rain; didnt really anyways with the Nittos

if you are not concerned about cornering or wet traction then there are better tires out there for you. the r888 has a stiff sidewall and can handle wet. overall great tire but not intended to launch or drag race

MG0h3

Established Member
if you are not concerned about cornering or wet traction then there are better tires out there for you. the r888 has a stiff sidewall and can handle wet. overall great tire but not intended to launch or drag race

how bad are drag radials at cornering? I dont try and drive my car like fast and the furious or anything.

Definitely more concerned about being able to roll into second gear WOT. Rain is of zero concern. My new to me $1300 ford focus came with brand new tires (non drag radial:)

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
how bad are drag radials at cornering? I dont try and drive my car like fast and the furious or anything.

Definitely more concerned about being able to roll into second gear WOT. Rain is of zero concern. My new to me $1300 ford focus came with brand new tires (non drag radial:)

They handle no different at normal speeds than any other basic tire as long as you keep decent pressure in them. If you are indeed going to make 700rwhp, the only solution for traction in a lower gear is a drag radial and even then you will probably still spin some. R888's are great on sub 500rwhp cars. They are also a great all around tire (minus snow of course) but they are NOT going to "dead hook" (I hate that phrase) on anything near 700rwhp.

MG0h3

Established Member
They handle no different at normal speeds than any other basic tire as long as you keep decent pressure in them. If you are indeed going to make 700rwhp, the only solution for traction in a lower gear is a drag radial and even then you will probably still spin some. R888's are great on sub 500rwhp cars. They are also a great all around tire (minus snow of course) but they are NOT going to "dead hook" (I hate that phrase) on anything near 700rwhp.

Gotcha! Drag radials it is. Not sure if I should get the 315/30/18 or 305/35/18. 305 is a 27" tire vs 26" for the 315

MT site says they are the same width, but the discount tire guy said that the 315 will be wider. I thought the aspect ratio (series) played into that.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Gotcha! Drag radials it is. Not sure if I should get the 315/30/18 or 305/35/18. 305 is a 27" tire vs 26" for the 315

MT site says they are the same width, but the discount tire guy said that the 315 will be wider. I thought the aspect ratio (series) played into that.

The first numbers are the tire width, the aspect ratio defines the height of the tire, the last number is the rim size. The taller the tire the more "cushion" and typically better grip. I run a 28" tire. However, it will throw off your speedo and act as if you've numerically lowered your rear gear with a larger tire.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
The difference could be manufacturer as well. The real width of something like a nitto 555r is smaller than its listed size, and something like an r888 runs wide.

My 315 toyo tq's were an inch wider than my 315 nt05r's.

Id go with a 26-27" tire at the very most. I had 28" tires on my coil over cobra and it rubbed very badly, and was a bit reverse pendulum like on corner entry. It definitely bedded in some extra understeer. It was great for 80-120mph hooligan powerslides though. Just backing off the throttle a bit tucked it in tight.

My tq Toyo's are 315/30/18 and 26.4", the factory tire is 25.7" iirc, I wouldn't go much more than 3/4" different than stock, the geometry and wheel rate of the arms is pretty well dialed in for a 25.5" wheel. Lowering the car exacerbates the difference even then some.

I went Toyo tq's having tried bfg and nitto dr's. I like a good balance of handling/road noise etc and grip in my dr's. Hoosiers and Mickeys are a noticeable amount stickier. I was putting down 900/920 whp/tq with my 57's and 5.4 swap on 28" nt05r's and 3.08 rear, but I had to pedal it pretty well, and we had 1st limited to 6psi off the springs.

If it's an sc car, Mickeys or Hoosiers will be about the only tire that can hook the instantaneous power well. I'd practice how to quickly roll into power though, on my eaton (470-620 off/on nitrous) I had to get pretty smooth or I'd just blow the tires off. Driver mod is everything. A 1.90 60ft can be had on factory goodyears, but most everyone will run 2.5's-2.2's on them.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
The first numbers are the tire width, the aspect ratio defines the height of the tire, the last number is the rim size. The taller the tire the more "cushion" and typically better grip. I run a 28" tire. However, it will throw off your speedo and act as if you've numerically lowered your rear gear with a larger tire.

Ten 4.

Thanks for the help man. I guess I got some bad info when purchasing tires in the past or I had it backwards.

Ill probably just run the 315s as I like my gearing as is.

djhtech

Established Member
No I don't have a spacer installed but I have thought about putting them on to make the wheel stick out just a bit, I also have the MM IRS bolts just haven't installed them, will probably do that this weekend. Here's a pic you can see my fenders are not rolled yet? I plan on rolling them, on my next set of tires I might go to a 335?

View attachment 51779

Excellent, I'll have clearance! I have a set of 305/35/18's being shipped going on 18x10's, looking forward to them.

Off subject but which cat-back system do you have installed? Thanks.

MG0h3

Established Member
For the tire pros or those with experience.

Looking at the MT site and the tread width for the 305/35 is greater than the 315/30. Both are measured on an 11" rim. Little confused here.

Turns out the 305 (27" tire) is actually 26.4" and the 315 (26" tire) is 25.5 Im currently on a 26.2 tire so I think Id be better off with the 305, especially if it measures out just as wide.

I read through the pages here on 315 vs 305, Im just curious why/how the tread width measurement is more for a "skinnier" tire. Fitment on rim?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
For the tire pros or those with experience.

Looking at the MT site and the tread width for the 305/35 is greater than the 315/30. Both are measured on an 11" rim. Little confused here.

Turns out the 305 (27" tire) is actually 26.4" and the 315 (26" tire) is 25.5 Im currently on a 26.2 tire so I think Id be better off with the 305, especially if it measures out just as wide.

I read through the pages here on 315 vs 305, Im just curious why/how the tread width measurement is more for a "skinnier" tire. Fitment on rim?

Drag tires tend to stretch a little taller by the end of the strip/higher speed. A true wrinkle wall slick can stretch 1"+ at about 125mph, which is about 2" taller overall height since the sidewall wraps the rim.

More so, sizes don't work out as accurately in the real world. Some run larger/smaller than advertised. Go with the actual measured dimension, the size on the sidewall isn't very reliable. The 305 that measures 26.2" is the right choice IMO.

I've had nitto 315's that were very narrow (nt555r) and an inch+ wider (nt05r) from same manufacturer.

Go off the actual measured specs, where they state them in inches like 11/3/4" or 12/3/8" etcetera.

I have seen that the height usually comes out very close, maybe dot allows issued sizes that match the overall height the closest. It would make referencing and comparing tires via a database easier at any given tire distributor. The most important factor for drivetrain safety is uniform tire height much more so than width. Also dot wants everyone's speedometer to read accurately so I could see it also focusing on sizing numbers towards actual height for that reason as well.

I imagine that's why. It could also be that tires go up in increments of 5-10mm, so if something should be an exact 294/38/18.008, it's rounded to a 285/40/18 (assuming that is closer to the real height). Again, just an idea. I could see them stepping up or down 10+ mm of section width if it got the measured height to within .05", so say it's really a 315/33.8/18, they round it down to a 305/35/18 if that would result in a more accurate height.

Just opinion on it. Obviously don't take it as fact.

Last edited:

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Excellent, I'll have clearance! I have a set of 305/35/18's being shipped going on 18x10's, looking forward to them.

Off subject but which cat-back system do you have installed? Thanks.

Its the SLP cat back I replaced the LM1 muffler's with MAC stainless sound s wicked!!

"mooch29" Your cars stance looks amazing!! :bowdown: your entire set up looks bad ass!! I had the Falken Azenas in 315-30s on my car but the 30s profile was to low, I had an obviously big fender well gap and it took away the rake look. Maybe the R888s 315s are taller? I know as soon as I switched to the R888/305-35s the stance was obviously better due to them being taller.

Franco

Established Member
No I don't have a spacer installed but I have thought about putting them on to make the wheel stick out just a bit, I also have the MM IRS bolts just haven't installed them, will probably do that this weekend. Here's a pic you can see my fenders are not rolled yet? I plan on rolling them, on my next set of tires I might go to a 335?

View attachment 51779

Do you rub at all with this setup currently?
I'm not rolled and my stance looks about the same as yours, however I am running a 10 inch wheel with a 3/8 spacer, but the wheel stick out about the same and I'm scared that I'll cut up the tire if I hit a large bump.

Here's a pic for reference
1d1ab17c0375aa0743f0661b3718dff1.jpg

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Its the SLP cat back I replaced the LM1 muffler's with MAC stainless sound s wicked!!

"mooch29" Your cars stance looks amazing!! :bowdown: your entire set up looks bad ass!! I had the Falken Azenas in 315-30s on my car but the 30s profile was to low, I had an obviously big fender well gap and it took away the rake look. Maybe the R888s 315s are taller? I know as soon as I switched to the R888/305-35s the stance was obviously better due to them being taller.

Thank you sir. The Toyo's have a pointed shaped sidewall (don't really know how else to describe it but I love it lol). I know exactly what you mean with the Falken's because my buddy had a set of 315's on his cobra and the sidewall looked way too small

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Do you rub at all with this setup currently?
I'm not rolled and my stance looks about the same as yours, however I am running a 10 inch wheel with a 3/8 spacer, but the wheel stick out about the same and I'm scared that I'll cut up the tire if I hit a large bump.

Iam running CCW 18x11s no spacer and no rubbing, iam sure if I was to hit a dip hard enough it'll eventually rub, but under normal driving on the highway and around my pothole infested town Ive had no issues yet.

When I lift the car up on jacks the IRS bolts is extremely close though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread