Toyo Proxes 888R

amurray7777

Established Member
Hey Guys! Just wanted some opinions on this tire. I am currently running Nitto NT05 315/35/17 and they don’t hook up at all. I saw a few Termis with these Toyo tires and wanted to see if you guys had any experience with them. I’m making around 660 at the tire and it would be fun to spin a little less. Suspension is stock IRS. It’s not a drag car, more of a street car, so I’m not switching out the rear end for traction. Just curious if anybody has any opinion or experience with these tires? Or any other recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
I haven’t owned them, so I have no opinion. I tried to buy them for months, but they’ve been on back order, along with the nitto 555r2s. Supply chain issues. Pete buttigig and Brandon will fix it soon though.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been running the Toyo R888 for years. Not sure on my hp, probably 675-700ish rwhp.

I'm running Bilstein b8 rear shocks and ftbr aluminum diff bushings.

I run 18x11's tire size 305/35/18. The toyos run wide.

Generally I can hook 2nd gear on a 40mph hit. If temp's are 60 degrees or less it can be hit or miss.

Here is a old video on 19lbs on e85. I'm now running 21lbs.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Santiago

Established Member
C8D6CAC3-459A-4F8B-8D50-4126D9291618.jpeg

I run the 315/30/18 works great but only thing I notice if I wake up early and take the car for a ride and it’s cold the tires don’t like the cold but I usually do a rolling burnouts to put some heat on them after that it’s a great tire lol

amurray7777

Established Member
I haven’t owned them, so I have no opinion. I tried to buy them for months, but they’ve been on back order, along with the nitto 555r2s. Supply chain issues. Pete buttigig and Brandon will fix it soon though.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Lol I know right.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would chose the Nitto 555R2 over those all day long. Those are the noisest most annoying tires ive ever bought. Never again and they take too long to heat up.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm running the 315/35/17's. I came from an old set of 555R's that I could light up at 60mph. Overall I'm happy with them. As mentioned on a cold morning on a cold road they're going to spin no matter what you do. I did some rolls with buddies a few weeks ago and they still spun, but it's more of a controlled spin if that makes sense. I don't worry about the car changing lanes.

I've ran drag radials for years, but I wanted something with a stiffer sidewall this time around for canyon carving. They do "sing" on the freeway, but between my exhaust and stereo I don't usually notice it.

I'm a little over 700rwhp with all of the FTBR bushings.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
They do "sing" on the freeway, but between my exhaust and stereo I don't usually notice it.

was reading this thread thinking "I haven't noticed any real noise from them" then I remembered the BRRV would probably drown out a set of super swampers

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
was reading this thread thinking "I haven't noticed any real noise from them" then I remembered the BRRV would probably drown out a set of super swampers
I ran a Tial 50mm BOV when I had my F1A. Those two things blocked out most noise.

railroad

Established Member
Great tire, no noise for me. Suspension contributes to traction.
I have run nittos 555, decent tire, G-Force Rivals, very good tire, may not have your size.
Toyo's are 285/35 R20s. Tires will hold a roll to WOT in 1st gear.
Car mods in signature.
I would buy them again, and again.
I have read that the sidewalls are on the stiff side.
Probably not ideal by choice for drag strip use.
They handle great on the street.

Albatross

Established Member
I have R888R on all four corners. Completely restored my confidence in the car. Feels like it's on rails. They do make some noise above 50 mph but I can't really complain because my exhaust has the ability to wake the dead. Don't let the noise scare you. It's not that bad in my opinion. I have heard a lot of good things about the Toyo Proxes TQ. May want to consider those as well.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I have heard a lot of good things about the Toyo Proxes TQ. May want to consider those as well.
I can confirm this. On my second set of 315/35/18 TQs. I had R888s in 315/30/18 before these and could light them up at will. At the time, I had 4.10s so that didn't help their case I suppose. Although I was also down about 60rwhp too so maybe it evens out. lol I've also been impressed by the new version of Nitto DR.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Why not go with the MT ET SS tires?

They are quiet, and hook well.

i think most of us looking at tires like the R888R would like the option to be able to throw the car around a bit and not just straight line. My old ET streets weren't terrible but you could definitely tell when you were pushing too hard and didn't take a whole lot to get there.

Albatross

Established Member
i think most of us looking at tires like the R888R would like the option to be able to throw the car around a bit and not just straight line.
This is why I went with the R888R as opposed to a drag radial. I have also heard drag radials can get "loose" at high speed.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Just picked up at set of r888rs on 315/35 for my 17/10.5 deep dish cobra wheels … haven’t had a chance to test em out yet

Attachments

• 4BE93115-A201-4AD7-AC92-3058E80C7FC1.jpeg
    4BE93115-A201-4AD7-AC92-3058E80C7FC1.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 123

DCguy

Established Member
It is important to remember that the R888R is a DOT legal road race tire, not a drag radial. Therefore the tire does have limitations based on its usage. The main difference is in the tire carcass/sidewall construction - it is much much stiffer as it is designed to withstand high g-load cornering in lateral load conditions. This is pretty much the opposite of what you want in a tire when you are looking to put traction down in a straight line at lower speeds or from a stop.

A street oriented drag radial, for example, will have a taller, softer sidewall that allows you to easily and quickly build heat into the tire.

A road race oriented tire with stiff sidewall will take more time to heat up the tire - in a road race environment this is done by weaving back and forth and building up enough brake temps which will in turn heat up the tire after a few laps to proper operating temperature yielding the optimum/maximum grip of the tire.

As is probably obvious, doing such a procedure on the road is ill advised and is the reason why you see so many people also dogging the R888R, contrary to the praise it gets, as not having enough traction on the street.........well yea - it was never meant to put down the kind of power some of our cars are making from a dig or in a colder environment.

For the most part this is not an issue as most here only drive their cars in the summer and there is enough ambient temperature (and the roads are warm enough) to build enough heat in the tire after a few miles of driving......but be aware that if you take this tire out on colder days its going to take much longer to get the tire up to temp before it can do anything for you below 3rd gear.

P.S > This is not a tire you want to be doing burnouts in often - like if you go to the drag strip more often. They have extremely low wear ratings as it is - too many/frequent burnouts will wear through them extremely quick. At $350/tire for a 315mm that can get expensive quick.

When I had my car set up for street/strip, I used to run a 315/40/18 Nitto NT05R DR - big beefy sidewall and soft compound. They give a bit of that raked look, but also performed very well on the street when I was at 700whp on an 18x10.5 wheel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread