Towing Boat

FrenchyZ

Established Member
I have a 24' ft boat and going to be towing with my lightning and wanted to know if there is anything that I should worry about? It weighs 4,800lbs with trailer approximately. Some people told me I should invest in a transmission cooler...which I will get just don't know which one to get yet. Any other inputs or tips? I am more worried about traction when pulling the boat out of the water... :shrug:

I've pulled the boat already just didn't go to a ramp and the lightning handled it good. I know the tow rating is 5,000lbs and I am close to that with this boat. So any inputs or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!:rockon:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
only time 2wd trucks get into trouble on wet/slimed ramps is if you can't control your right foot.

Jroc

Established Member
Because work truck!?!?!?!? :??:

2jch4j7.jpg

2isk3o5.jpg

Not quite as big as your boat, but I have towed a Mustang on a 2,000'ish lb trailer with a YZ250 among other things in the bed threw the mountains of western VA all the way back here to SC and it did great. Towing up the mountains you could pretty much watch the gas gauge drop. A L is the most underrated tow vehicle I think ever received a tow rating. I've towed a few Jon boats with my L and you can't hardly tell they're back there. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

2001SVTTRUCK

Established Member
I've towed my 19' Bayliner center console, and the truck is still faster than a Honda Civic SI...:bash: Some college kids gassed it next to me on 501 coming back home from Myrtle Beach last year, and I couldn't resist embarrasing him.:burnout:

Get yourself a trans temp gauge and the superduty cooler is a common swap. I have the Interceptor scan gauges on a pillar pod that read out engine temp, trans temp, IAT and IAT2 temps.:beer:

4a7191a

Established Member
sweet kill towing a boat bro !
ive towed a bass noat with mine, never anythign 24' long though. id turn off the OD just in case.

FrenchyZ

Established Member
I am very close on buying the TVS kit for my Ford Lightning... Would it perform just as well towing my boat if not better ? Since the rear leaf spring are better and wouldn't flex as much? How about the sway bars? Would it improve a little on the steering at all while towing? I know without towing anything the TVS is amazing and only heard great reviews, I am just concerned for towing if it would affect anything for the better or worst, or yet be the same?

Thanks

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
I am very close on buying the TVS kit for my Ford Lightning... Would it perform just as well towing my boat if not better ? Since the rear leaf spring are better and wouldn't flex as much? How about the sway bars? Would it improve a little on the steering at all while towing? I know without towing anything the TVS is amazing and only heard great reviews, I am just concerned for towing if it would affect anything for the better or worst, or yet be the same?

Thanks

You'll love it. The handling difference is like night and day.

FrenchyZ

Established Member
When I had my Lightnings I pulled my 5500 pound boat. They pull great. 6lb lower with a few other mods.

I have a 6# lower with pretty much all bolt ons. Yours on stock suspension? My boat is right around the 5,000lbs and pulls it nicely without issues. Just wanted to know if it lowering it would affect my towing...

EYG03COBRA

Established Member
Like previous posts, get a tranny cooler. Install takes less than an hour. The lightning will not have any issues towing that size boat. If you are at a steep boat ramp, just ease on the gas to prevent loosing traction. Then again, you could get some of your buddies to jump in the back of the truck for more traction.:rolling:

More importantly always check your wheel bearings on the boat trailer! You do not want to loose a wheel at 70mph!

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
How heavy is the tongue weight? If the tongue weight isn't too bad you won't have any problems with a lowered truck. 4 tire trailers def help distribute the weight.

I towed a lot of different trailers with my lowered L.

FrenchyZ

Established Member
How heavy is the tongue weight? If the tongue weight isn't too bad you won't have any problems with a lowered truck. 4 tire trailers def help distribute the weight.

I towed a lot of different trailers with my lowered L.

Hmm, I am not too sure on the tongue weight... How can I find out? Which suspension kit do you have?

Jroc

Established Member
I'm sure it will be night and day. I'm not gonna get the shocks though. Any inputs as far as towing goes?

Be wary. Many have lowered L's and hated it with the stock shocks. In fact the people who do seem to hate the TVS have the stock shocks and claim it rides very rough. The factory shocks are made for X travel and lowering it with them and especially with a stiffer setup like the TVS can give you a poor ride.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Be wary. Many have lowered L's and hated it with the stock shocks. In fact the people who do seem to hate the TVS have the stock shocks and claim it rides very rough. The factory shocks are made for X travel and lowering it with them and especially with a stiffer setup like the TVS can give you a poor ride.

Excellent info. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread