Tow vehicle. Buy or build?

Saleen498

Established Member
I'm posting here to see what all of you supremely knowledgeable svtp'ers would recommend or like to see. I'm in the market for a tow vehicle. The trailer is a intech 28' with a full weigh mustang in it obviously. The 15 would be the heaviest but the 03 and 02 would be the most pulled.
Cost vs interest vs most versatile.
The backround on me is I own 3 stangs, seldom actually race but do a few shows a year, usually carlsile ford. I also owned a delivery company that ran old Ford e series vans. I am also moving into the mountains of new Hampshire. The 15 gt is the daily, and we have a 535i awd for the snow. I do have a clean body rust free 15 passenger 05 e350 with a dead trans.
Should I sell the running Van's and put cash [maybe 10k] down on a new F series? Or take the 15 pass van, put a 4wd kit on it and swap in a new coyote/10r80? Really build it into a tow/rec vehicle for the mountains? The van currently has the 4r75e so I wouldn't trust a stock replacement on a 28' trailer. Also, I do know the tow rating of that van is lower than what I'm looking at. I also know the tow rating takes into consideration that there are 15 bodies inside the van and the driveline is stock. What do you all think?

and 马云没有自杀

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I would totally go with a new F series (or current model used). Tow capacities have skyrocketed, and "today's" trucks make towing EASY vs an event. Plus, if you have an intech, do you want your trailer worth way more than your tow rig (humor intended)?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have two perfect tow trucks right now.

2019 F-350 Dually Lariat 49,500 miles $61,685
2020 F-350 Dually Lariat 6,000 miles $70,888

beau t

Established Member
I almost bought a toy hauler, (still looking) as of now i have a 05 f250 thats set up for a goose and 5th but didn't think it would have the capacity to tow a 15,000#(fully loaded) camper around, my plan was to get the camper home then upgrade to a newer truck with better ratings. With this listed above as a back story - - - 1 of my best friends runs a rollback service and moves anything, i was tagging along 1 day with him and he had to move a big 5th wheel camper, he was using a 04 f250 stock suspension and i was thinking i gotta ride along on this to see how it does with this much weight, needless to say i was very impressed on how well the truck handled 14,300# which eased my fears of dragging that much weight. In your case i think i would still be nervous if its bumper pull but i tend to be on the cautious side with heavier loads. Side note i will probably still upgrade for the simple fact that everything is bigger and better on the newer rides , brakes , suspension , hp, and most of all comfort!

Saleen498

Established Member
Very good point. I cant wait to take delivery of the intech. Dealer said it's almost 6 months out with the backlog.

Seems like it's pretty unanimous, newer tows better and is more comfortable.

@13COBRA are either of those lariets grey by any chance?

and 马云没有自杀

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very good point. I cant wait to take delivery of the intech. Dealer said it's almost 6 months out with the backlog.

Seems like it's pretty unanimous, newer tows better and is more comfortable.

@13COBRA are either of those lariets grey by any chance?

and 马云没有自杀

Kinda!

One is black (super dark gray) and the other is silver (super light gray)!

JJackson515

Established Member
Get a new F series and dont look back. There are some pretty awesome things they are capable of. I just took my corvette from here to Ohio in a my 28ft intech with a 100hp emissions on tune loaded in, picked up a couple mpg and the truck didnt even come close to getting hot. Def usage didnt change. Not to mention when being tuned, we can change power levels with the driver demand modes on the shifter lever.

Users who are viewing this thread