Touchy Subject: Avoiding listing a job on resume

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
This is somewhat of a touchy subject so I will tread lightly.

I am interviewing some folks for a company position and one of the applicants has a year and a half gap between his previous and most recent jobs. He tells me he was out of the country but I suspect that he may have simply avoided listing a job. We are a smaller company and the HR rep is relatively new but she tells me that we have no way of knowing because we can only verify the jobs/dates listed on his resume/job application.

Is this true? Any ideas on how to check for potential fraud/avoidances?

Thanks in advance,
-Paul

Last edited:

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
It's true and is in no way fraud, if you feel like the guy is lying then don't hire him. I am not sure about your state but in MA the potential employer can't ask any information when calling the previous employer except verification of employment dates.

AllVenom

Established Member

I am interviewing some folks for a company position and one of the applicants has a year and a half gap between his previous and most recent jobs. He tells me he was out of the country but I suspect that he may have simply avoided listing a job. We are a smaller company and the HR rep is relatively new but she tells me that we have no way of knowing because we can only verify the jobs/dates listed on his resume/job application.

Thanks in advance,
-Paul

IRS tax info is public info. You should be able to find out by his previous tax return. Alternatively, you could ask him to show you his passport and look at the stamps.

You are also in the right to not hire him based on this gap. State jobs will not hire anyone with gaps in their employment history unless they are explained and that explanation is "good enough". I don't see the harm in having him verify that he was out of the country. He had to pay bills somehow.

ViciousJay

Established Member
IRS tax info is public info. You should be able to find out by his previous tax return. Alternatively, you could ask him to show you his passport and look at the stamps.

You are also in the right to not hire him based on this gap. State jobs will not hire anyone with gaps in their employment history unless they are explained and that explanation is "good enough". I don't see the harm in having him verify that he was out of the country. He had to pay bills somehow.

if someone asked me to do that before getting hired i would tell the to F*** off and then i would go back in ask for my resume back :lol1:

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Some people just don't need to have a job or work 365 days a year. I have been taking some time off since losing my last job and if any employers ask why, i'll tell that I felt like taking some time off. I don't see why having gaps in employment history should be a problem.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

Thanks in advance,
-Paul

If you have questions in your head, or it has raised your suspicions, why consider him? You can call his last listed employer and ask them about him and if they know what he did when he left their employment.

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
My reasons for considering him even after my suspicions are very straight forward - he simply is the best candidate I've spoken to so far.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. Much appreciated.

-Paul

LS2GTO

Established Member
I no way is this fraud, he can put whatever he wants on his resume.

And as far as the gap, like people mentioned there are many reasons for time off. He could have been sick, he could have been injured, he could have been unemployed and looking for work, he could have been traveling, or heck he could have just been taking time off.

If it bothers you that much then don't consider him, but if he is truly the best candidate if would be foolish to overlook him simply because you don't belive his story for the gap. Who cares what he did then. As long as he didn't lie about the other stuff on there, he isn't a criminal, and he has the right credentials/experience I don't see why he would not get the job simply because the man wanted to take some time off and enjoy his life, whatever he may have done with it.

I'd rather hire a good candidate for the job with a gap rather than an under-qualified guy w/o any experience simply because he has every single job listed in his resume.

assasyn

Established Member
Is that great of a candidate that you want to take a chance on him? Pass on him if he's not.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
To me it is an honesty issue. Not knowing what his resume looks like before and after it is hard to say what he may be hiding. but even the CIA gives you a "cover story" if you are working for them out of the country for a period.

I personally would question him further about it. if it is JAIL it would be a problem not because he spent time there necessarily but because he tried to hide it.

there is no reason to hide a year and a half of your life without any explanation at all. You as a potential employer have every right to ask him about it and not hire him if you are left with honesty questions. take the 2nd best candidate and move on. if he asks why tell him that year and a half unexplained left too many open questions.

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
Thank you all for the responses. I will give it some thought tonight and cross my fingers that the decision I finally choose to make is the right one.

-Paul

Users who are viewing this thread