Totaled my 2009 GT500 looking at S550 GT's

HKusp

Established Member
So I hydroplaned on the Baltimore beltway in my Shelby and totaled it on 6/21/21. Was thinking of buying another one and transferring all my goodies over and basically replicating the car, but I decided to step up to the S550 platform.

I was going to get a used GT350, but after having a modified 5.4 with close to 700 RWHP with all that low end grunt and daily driving it, that 526 crank HP wasn't really appealing to me. Yes they have a lot of SC and turbo kits for the Voodoo engine but I talked with my tuner and he is not a fan of positive displacement superchargers on that car. He says that the engine doesn't dissipate energy well down low, and was designed to rev. I like to daily drive these cars, I am not one to just look at it and rub it with a diaper. There are centrifugal SC's and turbo kits, but I am going to drive it 15k-20k miles a year, so the GT350 is out.

Enter the 5.0 GT premium. I have been looking for about a week and of course inventory is down and prices are up, but I think with the VMP Odin kit, or the Whipple Gen 5 3.0 liter some long tubes and good tuning, I will be back up around where I was with my GT500 and in a more modern chassis. That S197 wasn't bad, especially compared to my Fox body, but I really like the handling and the creature comforts in the new GT's. I am not young (early 50's) and the comforts mean more to me these days.

Until yesterday, I had not driven an S550 car, purposefully because I KNEW I'd want one and had a LOT of money and effort into my GT500. I drove a 2018 GT premium yesterday and other than the obvious difference in torque and HP, it was a really nice ride. I am excited to make a plan and move forward with a new project.

My question to you guys is this- am I on the right track with my thinking? Is there an obvious whole I am missing? I am planning on an '18 or up Gen 3 coyote platform car, so hit me with any flaws before I pull the trigger please.

Thanks.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You are on the right track. There are CARB approved kits from various manufacturers, may prove important down the road, if the EPA gets more aggressive.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
So I hydroplaned on the Baltimore beltway in my Shelby and totaled it on 6/21/21. Was thinking of buying another one and transferring all my goodies over and basically replicating the car, but I decided to step up to the S550 platform.

I was going to get a used GT350, but after having a modified 5.4 with close to 700 RWHP with all that low end grunt and daily driving it, that 526 crank HP wasn't really appealing to me. Yes they have a lot of SC and turbo kits for the Voodoo engine but I talked with my tuner and he is not a fan of positive displacement superchargers on that car. He says that the engine doesn't dissipate energy well down low, and was designed to rev. I like to daily drive these cars, I am not one to just look at it and rub it with a diaper. There are centrifugal SC's and turbo kits, but I am going to drive it 15k-20k miles a year, so the GT350 is out.

Enter the 5.0 GT premium. I have been looking for about a week and of course inventory is down and prices are up, but I think with the VMP Odin kit, or the Whipple Gen 5 3.0 liter some long tubes and good tuning, I will be back up around where I was with my GT500 and in a more modern chassis. That S197 wasn't bad, especially compared to my Fox body, but I really like the handling and the creature comforts in the new GT's. I am not young (early 50's) and the comforts mean more to me these days.

Until yesterday, I had not driven an S550 car, purposefully because I KNEW I'd want one and had a LOT of money and effort into my GT500. I drove a 2018 GT premium yesterday and other than the obvious difference in torque and HP, it was a really nice ride. I am excited to make a plan and move forward with a new project.

My question to you guys is this- am I on the right track with my thinking? Is there an obvious whole I am missing? I am planning on an '18 or up Gen 3 coyote platform car, so hit me with any flaws before I pull the trigger please.

Thanks.

Join Mustang6g...a wealth of info. I have a '19 GT Premium PP1 currently. After 14 years with an '03 Cobra, the S550 is a great ride just stock. The active exhaust in track mode is loud enough (for me anyway). Good luck.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nothing much to add, except to say "sorry to hear about your GT-500 getting totalled. Thankfully you were okay. I think you're going to be thrilled with an S550 GT, with the addition of your planning mods to get you to a similar power level as the GT-500.

FJohnny

Established Member
The S550 seems like a question already answered. The real issue now is manual or auto?

Having been a 3 pedal guy forever I always figured there was only one choice. Now, having driven my brother's supercharged F150 with the A10 trans I'm finding myself thinking of doing exactly what you are considering.

I catch myself wanting one and I didn't even have to wreck so I guess it must be a good idea.

All the best with your decision.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Hope you will enjoy it more than I do mine. Procharged 15 GT with 13k miles and damn near mint...sits in the garage. Paid off so not an issue but am I ever going to enjoy it.....no clue. Will I miss it...maybe.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
S550 musts:
- Performance Pack 1
- Magne-Ride
- Active Exhaust

IF you want a manual, PP1 cars are more likely to have it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I went from an 07 Gt500 making around 650whp to a new 2018 GT. I added a TT kit within 2000 miles of owning it and with 900+whp and the 10sp auto it is an absolute blast. You'll love the Gen 3 coyote car.

HKusp

Established Member
Many of you may be aware, but some may not be, the market is high and the pickings can be scarce. How do I tell if a car is a PP1 or PP2 car? I have found a 2018 GT that is a manual car which I MUCH prefer, leather interior, 6200 miles on it, etc. It doesn't have the digital dash and is listed as a P8C model. I drove it the other day for about 10 mins and it was nice. I didn't have a lot of time because it's an hour away from my office and I had to get to work. So I didn't have time to ask a bunch of questions.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
How do I tell if a car is a PP1 or PP2 car?

The mustang Performance Package 2 was offered only in GT form with a six-speed manual transmission (2018-20), the PP2 was packed with the following features and equipment:

• 19-inch x 10.5-inch front and 19-inch x 11-inch rear dark tarnish-painted aluminum wheels
  • Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (summer only)
  • Brembo six-piston front brake calipers with larger rotors
  • Engine-spun aluminum instrument panel
  • Gauge Pack (vacuum and oil pressure)
  • High-performance front splitter
  • K-brace
  • Large radiator
  • MagneRide Damping System with track-inspired calibration
  • Strut tower brace
  • Unique rear spoiler
  • Unique track-inspired chassis, stability control, EPAS, and ABS tuning
  • Unique track-inspired springs and sway bar

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The mustang Performance Package 2 was offered only in GT form with a six-speed manual transmission (2018-20), the PP2 was packed with the following features and equipment:

• 19-inch x 10.5-inch front and 19-inch x 11-inch rear dark tarnish-painted aluminum wheels
  • Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (summer only)
  • Brembo six-piston front brake calipers with larger rotors
  • Engine-spun aluminum instrument panel
  • Gauge Pack (vacuum and oil pressure)
  • High-performance front splitter
  • K-brace
  • Large radiator
  • MagneRide Damping System with track-inspired calibration
  • Strut tower brace
  • Unique rear spoiler
  • Unique track-inspired chassis, stability control, EPAS, and ABS tuning
  • Unique track-inspired springs and sway bar

Uhm, my '20 PP1, has many of those same features. If it's not modded, front/rear spoiler, wheels are immediate visual giveaways.

Look here for detailed information and comparison:
https://www.cars.com/articles/perfo...rd-mustang-gt-is-right-for-you-1420700920335/

https://www.cars.com/articles/mustang-vs-mustang-fords-performance-packages-tested-1420700897178/

Good luck with your search.

HKusp

Established Member
So an update. Pickings were slim and prices were high.On 7/3/2021 I ended up buying a used (6328 miles) 18GT in Shadow black with flat black stripes. Cold air kit, 6 speed manual with leather, no heated/cooled seats but the sync3 system, and back-up sensors. I can not believe how much nicer the s550's are over the s197's. Stock suspensioned with 20 inch KMC black 5 star rims with 255 Toyo's out front and crappy 305 Coopers on the back and it will do anything handling-wise my Shelby would and sooooo much better riding. The tech is so much better. That Shelby was a raw raw car in comparison. So much better than my Fox notchback and even the New Edge GT, but these s550's are amazing. The only thing lacking at this point is the power. Not that this car is slow, a 12.0-12.2 is very possible with the current set-up which is faster than my GT500 was when I first bought it, but I think once I get the ODIN kit I am going to be very very pleased with this car. It really won't have any weakness at that point. North of 700 on pump gas at the wheels and 850 capable on corn will suit me just fine. I was going to go Gen5 Whipple kit, but I spoke with Lethal and Whipple is saying they are 15-20 weeks out and that is unacceptable to me at this point.

Thank you guys for all the advice. I appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20210713_093045(1).jpg
    20210713_093045(1).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 81

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So an update. Pickings were slim and prices were high.On 7/3/2021 I ended up buying a used (6328 miles) 18GT in Shadow black with flat black stripes. Cold air kit, 6 speed manual with leather, no heated/cooled seats but the sync3 system, and back-up sensors. I can not believe how much nicer the s550's are over the s197's. Stock suspensioned with 20 inch KMC black 5 star rims with 255 Toyo's out front and crappy 305 Coopers on the back and it will do anything handling-wise my Shelby would and sooooo much better riding. The tech is so much better. That Shelby was a raw raw car in comparison. So much better than my Fox notchback and even the New Edge GT, but these s550's are amazing. The only thing lacking at this point is the power. Not that this car is slow, a 12.0-12.2 is very possible with the current set-up which is faster than my GT500 was when I first bought it, but I think once I get the ODIN kit I am going to be very very pleased with this car. It really won't have any weakness at that point. North of 700 on pump gas at the wheels and 850 capable on corn will suit me just fine. I was going to go Gen5 Whipple kit, but I spoke with Lethal and Whipple is saying they are 15-20 weeks out and that is unacceptable to me at this point.

Thank you guys for all the advice. I appreciate it.
On a side note...love the name...love my H&K's ;)

HKusp

Established Member
A few more pics. I took the window louvre's off. These were taken the day I bought it and before the tint. Notice the side pipes. I am older (51) so I am kinda digging them to be honest. It's a decent kit with a single Magnaflow muffler and it sounds good.

Attachments

• 20210703_190835(1).jpg
    20210703_190835(1).jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210703_190829(1).jpg
    20210703_190829(1).jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210703_190814(1).jpg
    20210703_190814(1).jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 87

Users who are viewing this thread