Torque Tank M4

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I didn't know what the **** it was either. I was searching for a wheeled sled to push/pull to add to the exercise equipment repertoire and stumbled upon it. I have all kinds of equipment in the basement but wanted something I could use outside and enjoy the rather short warm weather season we have here. A plated sled is inconsistent due to varying friction and somewhat destructive, hence looking for something with wheels on it.

So I found a company called Torque Fitness made three different versions and I researched each, settling on the "middle" offering, the Tank M4. Here's a quick look at it in use at last years Crossfit Games.

You can do more than just push it. I'm kind of beat up and limited to what I can do but have to keep up on cardiovascular fitness for my heart and holy cow does this thing work you in the entire dynamic range. It took a month or so to get here, and I actually picked it up from the freight company depot so I could have it in my hands as quick as possible. The box was heavy as shit and was loaded into my Jeep with a fork truck. Unloading it by hand was lots of fun.

20220413_183629-XL.jpg

20220413_184200-X3.jpg

It was mostly assembled so it didn't take long to get it together. Hardware was all quality socket headed capscrews.

20220414_121144-X3.jpg

20220414_121227-X3.jpg

20220414_122321-X2.jpg

20220414_123249-X3.jpg

20220414_125723-X3.jpg

So it works by imparting magnetic resistance on each axle and it's bi-directional. So you can choose a different resistance level to go one way versus the other or have it be the same. You simply flick the lever to choose your poison.

20220414_125335-X3.jpg

I couldn't be more impressed with the quality and engineering. Over the years I've seen some truly garbage home equipment and always looked for overkill. The welds, powdercoating, the feel when using it...first rate. A number of NFL teams use them and I can see why. I have a long driveway and get a heck of a workout using it. You don't need to add plates to it but can if you want to. The faster you try to go the more it resists you. It is literally like pushing a car back and forth for each workout.

Just because, I wondered if I could swap the wheels and tires from their top model, the "MX," to mine. I called them and had a conversation about it and they were as pumped as I was as they don't offer it that way. So I bought four wheels and tires from them, disassembled them, painted them and bolted everything together. I still wasn't sure they'd fit. If they did, they would near double the potential weight capacity I could add (if I wanted to).

The new rolling stock was near the same diameter so no change in functionality.

20220513_230013-X3.jpg

So they fit!

20220513_225447-X2.jpg

I made sure to set each to the same air pressure so it would track on a straight line as you can't steer it (you can make small corrections as you push/pull if you need to though).

20220518_170731-X4.jpg

20220520_182419-X3.jpg

I ordered a number of accessories (ropes, harness, etc) but building back better means waiting for a bit. For those of you looking for gains in mass and strength in your core and legs I couldn't recommend anything better - honestly. I lost 21 lbs when I was in the hospital with covid but I have it all back now. The pump from this type of training lasts longer than anything else I've been exposed to. If you're up for it I highly recommend this.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm sweating just looking at this thing.

Good write up @Tob !

ToddW702

Established Member
That thing is really cool. Now I want one for the backyard. Pushing and pulling that thing should whip you into shape. I heard pulling these things is one of the best knee strengthening exercises you can do. Great write up.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I heard pulling these things is one of the best knee strengthening exercises you can do.
You are absolutely correct. Although they use a plated sled in this vid its still relevant. The "knees over toes guy" is pretty well versed on the benefits here.

Pulling the M4 sled backwards (or you can push the sled backwards with your back) burns your quads and hamstrings differently than when pushing (or pulling forward with a harness). Intense burn. And what I find cool is that I can use some construction equipment I have on hand that is beefy as shit. I ended up using a tow strap, a clevis or a carabiner, and a banned by OSHA belt harnesses (gotta use full body harnesses now). I have a couple that were almost new and never used that work perfect.

20220523_204430-X3.jpg

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Very cool! My legs are burning just reading about it. Haha. That is a workout I def could, and need to get into.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Good stuff Tob!
That will definitely strengthen your core, back and legs. Have fun man.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
gonna have to try the backwards sled thing for my knees, that guy had jelly legs at the end lol.

glad to see ya comeback with a vengeance

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Very cool!
Listen to your body and go slow.
Honestly that’s a great workout and something I’ve looked into (not this exact model) but be safe my friend.
-J

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Knees over toes guy got me into pulling a sled too

But mine ain’t a baller one like that lol

Rosco P

Bitter clinger…
Established Member
That looks awesome. Thanks for posting.

Right now I load my little boys in the side by side and run through these hills...its awful. They're getting bigger, heavier.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Man, if there’s one thing I hate, it’s carrying heavy shit backwards up a hill and pulling cable backwards.

I have weak ass legs anyways, but that shit might as well be on actual fire when they start burning like that.

I can’t imagine doing this for fun haha

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Seems quite gimmicky to me… In contrast, it is great that you are successful enough to throw money at this type of contraption, but more importantly, the best part is that you are taking care of your self.

Good stuff.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Seems quite gimmicky to me… In contrast, it is great that you are successful enough to throw money at this type of contraption, but more importantly, the best part is that you are taking care of your self.

Good stuff.

What part of it is gimmicky? lol

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
We've got that exact one at my gym. I actually put it together for the owner since he's challenged when it comes to anything mechanical even as simple as this was to assemble. Haven't used the thing myself, but I've witnessed a number of people soaked in sweat shoving it to and fro. lol

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
What part of it is gimmicky? lol

No doubt you will bust a sweat with it, but so will running up a flight of stairs with a couple jugs of milk.

If you wanna get a workout / improve cardiovascular endurance without having to spend Barrett .50 cal money, Id say calisthenics is a good start…

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No doubt you will bust a sweat with it, but so will running up a flight of stairs with a couple jugs of milk.

If you wanna get a workout / improve cardiovascular endurance without having to spend Barrett .50 cal money, Id say calisthenics is a good start…

Just because somethings 'expensive' or you can do it with something else...doesn't mean it's gimmicky.

The new GT500 is gimmicky because I can buy a Fox for less and make it faster.

EDIT: 50% of working out is making sure you stay interested and motivated.

Users who are viewing this thread