Torch Red needs a little help..

fordrules

Slow But Still Trying
Established Member
Well I love entering car shows and over the last year I have done all right, but I need some help.. I always keep my car clean but recently I have noticed that I have some light scratches in the clear coat and the paint surface looks a little spiderwebed. Any suggestions. Also what are the best cleaning supplies.

I use meguieres right now. Is there anything much better?? :burnout:

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
specialtymotoring.com

Get a Porter Cable Random Orbital Buffer and a good pad kit.

I'd get the Poorboys SSR 2.5 to get rid of the light scratches and swirls
Then follow up with Clearkote Vanilla Moose
Then top it all with a good wax...(Natty Wax, Moose Wax, EXP)

fordrules

Slow But Still Trying
Established Member
Yea I was just checking on that site. I am a little afraid of orbital buffing because I dont wanna burn the paint. Any suggestions

spree

Established Member
it's hard to do damage with a Porter Cable. Doesn't get hot enough to damage the paint.

spree

Established Member
well...you definitely don't want to use the pad that they give you (they give you a white pad). I use Meguiar's pads (http://www.autogeek.net/mg64.html), but I've heard awesome things about Lake County pads...just be sure to use the right pad for the right product (i.e. don't use a cutting pad to apply wax)

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
a buffer is a dangerous tool if your not experienced with it.

i would hand it over to a professional rather than risk a learning step gone wrong on a 35-40k cobra.

just MHO....but if you have done it before i would use the buffer...or find a friend that knows how or a relative or whatever and have them teach you.

if you never used one before..i wouldnt attempt it..."right pads" or not.

spree

Established Member
it's a PC7424, not a rotary. Rotary's are dangerous. PC's are virtually harmless. I was able to properly use a PC7424 rather quickly, and I wasn't afraid of using it on my Cobra.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Rotary buffers are bad because the spin in one direction.....generating a ton of heat, which can be bad. I've held my PC in one spot for around a minute or so with no ill effects!

93Snake

Nicky P is exactly right... the rotary spins stationary as where the porter cable spins orbitally, if you know anyone who knows how to use a rotary have them show you.. it cuts the amount of time polishing your car in half

93Snake

dont fear the pc... you get much better polishing results then by hand, cuts the amount of time down by hand signifcantly. It applys the product nice and even so if you want to wax with it it's much more efficent. You will not damage your paint with it

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread