top speed w/o boost????

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
Well what is the top speed we can hit WITHOUT using ANY boost? I have no idea, so any people cruise around at 100+ know the answer?

sndmn_2000

Next is a Vette
Established Member
its the same both ways. The RPM and the engine move the same. Except with boost you get there quicker.

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
wrong........you are limited to a certain top speed by the amount of HP you have combine with other factors like drag, gear ratio (rpm limits), etc. So adding boost = more HP and more top speed.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
142 MPH. Anything above that and you'll pull 2-4 psi constantly on an even grade. That's in 6th of course.

xason

10 seconds isn't cheap
Established Member
So driving with no boost can be accomplished by not giving it WOT? When does boost usually kick in I thought around 3-4k or so.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Boost levels are dependent on load. You can vary boost based on engine RPM and throttle. Does this answer your question?

Oh, and boost can kick in really low, like 1200 RPM's or so.

xason

10 seconds isn't cheap
Established Member
So how is it possible to drive the car without giving it any boost at all if it kicks in at such a low RPM?

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
xason said:
So how is it possible to drive the car without giving it any boost at all if it kicks in at such a low RPM?
I think it all depends on how fast you get to that certain rpm. If you gradually bring up your rpm's you will not see boost. There are some times I take a quick drive to Wawa or something, maybe 5 miles round trip and I never have a hint of boost. :( I usually like to let the engine get nice and warm before I start romping on it. ;-)

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
xason said:

It's called a light foot. I can stay out of the boost up to about 120. Then by the time 140 hits I can lay off the boost and maintain speed with 0 boost.

If yours is pulling boost all the time, there's a problem somewhere. You're probably getting cruddy gas mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread