Took my ‘69 Lincoln Continental to a track day

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I mean, what isn't for sale, for the right price? But the right price for this would have the market catching up to it...which it's doing, quickly

PM me what you'd like for it.

blk02edge

Established Member
I know, not quite the same but... Damn
Screenshot_20211116-155238_(1).png

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Yes 69 is the last of the suicide slabs. It’s a 460, and I bought it in February with a recent re-color and a new interior. Weighs 5000 lbs and is 19 feet long. I drove it home from Palm Springs to about a mile from my house before it died, with my son driving my Chevy SS as chase car. He thought we'd need a tow truck, I told him STFU, let me think about this, I'm driving this ****er home. I filled the carb bowl with gas by hand and had just enough juice to drive it home and up the driveway.

I had to go through the fuel system, blew unbelievable crud out of the main steel fuel line, replaced the fuel pump and all the rubber lines, replaced the sender, cleaned the tank, and changed the master cylinder which also shit the bed before I even left Palm Springs. When I got it, the only mufflers on it were 2-chamber flowmasters. I fired it up one morning and my neighbor (cool chick who digs cars) came over and said what the **** is going on? My whole bedroom is vibrating! I had a shop replace the system and add giant resonators, but they said keep the 2-chambers. They were right. It's baller.

But still, the car vibrated so much at idle that all the trim buzzed. Found out the oil pans was resting on the crossmember....broken engine mounts. I found a N.O.S. right side mount on ebay but the left side mount is impossible to find unless you send it out to some dude to have it rebuilt. I didn't want the downtime. I did some research and measuring and discovered that I could take a cheap aftermarket mount for a 430/462 and modify it to fit, by adding a plate and drilling it the right way, with a couple hours work. So I did. Had a shop install them, came out like a new car.

Got new Monroe shocks and thought better of installing them myself, so I had the same shop do the work. Like a new car all over again.

Then the A/C pump died. I really wanted to keep the R12, so I found a source for pumps and had the same shop again do that work. A/C works great, just add money! I swear that pump must take 20 HP to turn. but it does keep the car cool even when it's really hot out.

I put the wheels/tires/caps on it. It's getting paint corrected and ceramic coated next month.

ANYWAY, there I was, Grid chief laughed his ass off and because he had very fond memories of riding in one when he was a kid, I took him out for a lap too. The club director is dying for me to use it as a pace car. This thing doesn't do anything fast except drink gas and make panties wet and I love it.
"This thing doesn't do anything fast except drink gas and make panties wet and I love it."

Comment of the day, well done sir, well done

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Awesome. Fenders weigh more than my whole truck. lol
My dad was always an Oldsmobile guy with his 98’s or 88’s (not year) I think they were.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Such a beautiful machine. Lincoln really was a class of its own.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Now that's what you call CLASSY! I remember that specific Continental from back in the day. A co-worker owned one. You made the track staff's day, sir!

Post some pics after the paint correction and ceramic coating.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Been wanting a hard top Continental for a long time. Hopefully some day I'll be able to find one for a reasonable price, but not holding my breath. Nice ride indeed though!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That Lincoln would be a gem in anyone's collection. So rarely seen and, well, just so majestic and special.

Users who are viewing this thread