Tonight I say goodbye to my pup

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
My 9 year old lab Molly had started getting nose bleeds a few months ago. Ended up being a nose tumor. Did meds for a few months but I knew eventually this would take her. She was still the same girl but with nose bleeds. Last night she took a turn for the worst, cant hardly open her eyes, the tumor between her eyes looks like it tripled its size in a few hours. Struggling to breath, she layed beside me and didn't sleep much, its time for her to go home.. Man this shits tough guys.. I saw someone made a similar post a few months ago and was able to take his dog to the park and enjoy the day. I remember reading that and decided thats what I was going to do and this honestly snuck up on me last night. I warmed her up a burger this morning and she wouldnt touch it, shes ready.. Quick story, in her younger days first snow of the season she would be gone for hours. I'd track her down and she would see me, almost like she would smile and take off dancing in the snow. She was a pain in the ass back then lol. Shes a great girl to me and my girls as well. Its amazing the pride they take in being the family dog.. Appologize for the large pics...
DSC00199.jpg

DSC01588.jpg

DSC01918.jpg

20160103_092029_zpsrzs1a4lh.jpg

20141030_164904_zpspanhn0go.jpg

IMG_20130608_134320_966_zpsgmq8t5fr.jpg

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Sorry to hear man. Sounds like its for sure time though. RIP!

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I have been there, it may have been me who you read about? I sometimes tell the story when people are losing their pup.
I had my last dog for 19 years and decided to put him down because he was having seizures too frequently. I was afraid that his quality of life was getting very low, and I didn't want him to die alone while I was working. I spent the entire day with him, had breakfast at the park, cooked him a meal, laid down and took a nap with him, got him an ice cream and finally took him to the vet appointment. He was dead tired at the end of the day and certainly seemed at peace.
It didn't make it any easier for me. I kept his harness and ashes on my mantle, and a little paw print that they made for me. 19 years with a friend is a long time, I had gotten him when I was around 10 years old.

It made having a dog very difficult. I wanted to get rid of my 6 month old Bull Terrier immediately, and I didn't want another. But the time you get with them is very special, hopefully you made the most of it. You will get a few good pets in your lifetime and you'll carry them with you after they are gone. Even though they are only here a short time, they are fortunate to have lived graced with a loving family, a warm home, good food and good memories. So be happy you had each other.
My bully is 7 now, and I know I won't have him forever but I am lucky to have him now. So I make the best of it.

You're going to feel pretty bad for a while, but eventually it will be a warm memory.

Steve1578

Established Member
Very sorry for your loss. I know how tough it is. I had to put my dog down a few years ago after hip dysplasia took away her ability to walk. RIP pup.

Intervention302

Established Member
I put down my beloved 12 year old min pin back on Jan 1st this year. It was really tough...

I just knew it was the time. I did it for the dog, for her quality of life. Made her a nice breakfast, played ball (havent in 6 months from her 3 slipped disks - dog loved to play ball more than any other dog I ever seen), took a nice car ride, then she was put asleep in my arms with her favorite toy in her mouth.

Damn I miss that dog. What a good mutt

Best wishes for you.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Been there, is never easy. Just rest assured she enjoyed every moment with you.

I lost my professor last July to cancer, still miss my buddy.

Best wishes

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Appreciate it guys. Just this weekend the wife and I were talking about how we would tell our girls. Honestly I thought I had months on figuring out that conversation.

cbj5259

Established Member
You gave your girl a wonderful life and you loved her everyday. You may not see it yourself now, but you will realize after the sadness passes that this was perhaps your greatest gift to her at the end of her life...the gift of not letting her suffer. I lost my yellow lab girl 2 years ago next week. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her but now I remember all the good stuff and I don't dwell on her final days. I know deep down that part of her is out there in the expanse of this universe and I know she still loves me. I hope you find peace with your decision to end her suffering and you also feel that she is still with you after she is "gone". Stay with her until the end and make sure your voice is the last voice she goes to sleep hearing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Very sorry to hear that. I had to put my 12 year old husky/german shepherd mix down on Christmas Eve 2002 and I still miss him today.

Intervention302

Established Member
You gave your girl a wonderful life and you loved her everyday. You may not see it yourself now, but you will realize after the sadness passes that this was perhaps your greatest gift to her at the end of her life...the gift of not letting her suffer. I lost my yellow lab girl 2 years ago next week. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her but now I remember all the good stuff and I don't dwell on her final days. I know deep down that part of her is out there in the expanse of this universe and I know she still loves me. I hope you find peace with your decision to end her suffering and you also feel that she is still with you after she is "gone". Stay with her until the end and make sure your voice is the last voice she goes to sleep hearing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Yes... definitely be in the room.

I told my little girl I loved her very much and everything was going to be ok. She went smiling

9ba8bb7e7a9ff958498dd278f7d88784.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Totally sucks man. My boy is almost ready to go as well. He's 12 and on borrowed time. He literally died of a stroke a while back and miraculously came back. It's terrible how short their lifespans are, but the time we do have with them is priceless.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Totally sucks man. My boy is almost ready to go as well. He's 12 and on borrowed time. He literally died of a stroke a while back and miraculously came back. It's terrible how short their lifespans are, but the time we do have with them is priceless.

I just put my best friend of the past 10 years to sleep on April 14, 2016. Worst damn day I can remember. My boxer was getting more lethargic and refused to eat at the end. The xray the vet took showing his abdomen with a huge mass and displaced intestines made me hate myself for not noticing sooner.
Always told him I would make sure he never suffered, hardest thing to follow through with.
I don't envy you at all but just know it is the right thing to do.
I even ended up taking a day off work so no one would see me at my desk crying.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. That's tough.

oldmodman

Established Member
Don't have any regrets about ending a pets suffering. You have given her a long, happy life as a member of the family.

Don't make the mistake I made. Twice. I waited too long and had two of my friends die in my lap from cancer. They died horribly. It haunts me everyday that I didn't make the right decision in time.

Sonny Black

Go Bills!
Established Member
It's never easy to lose a member of the family. I'm sorry for your loss, but also happy that you have 9 wonderful years of memories.

15PSI

Established Member
I know how much it hurts. I had to put my best friend down last November. We tried everything we could to combat her anemia. We tried everything with no concern for the cost. To this day, I miss her. I am so sorry you have to do this. I have always said that nature got it wrong. Bad and mean people should live ten years and all dogs should last a hundred. My condolences.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
I felt so bad reading this. Dogs are amazing friends with the purest souls. I know its tough but be happy knowing you gave your girl a great life, and that's all we can do. She knows you love her. I have a 2 year old german shepard and shes my absolute best friend. After reading this I saw on one of our local FB pages about a young female pit that was picked up by animal control, and only has so much time before she is euthanized. So I called to see about adoption and was relieved when they told me three other people are ahead of me, but I put my name down on the list anyway. Sending prayers your way brother.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Don't have any regrets about ending a pets suffering. You have given her a long, happy life as a member of the family.

Don't make the mistake I made. Twice. I waited too long and had two of my friends die in my lap from cancer. They died horribly. It haunts me everyday that I didn't make the right decision in time.

I wanted to take her this morning but my wife wanted to be with me and she couldnt miss today. So I need to wait, feel bad about that too.

Users who are viewing this thread