Tokico Illumina 5-Way Adjustable shocks and struts settings for the track

01trublue cobra

Established Member
I have the Tokico Illumina 5-Way Adjustable shocks and struts on my 01 cobra with solid axle and want to know what settings should the shocks and struts be for best launcing and 60 ft times

mfracing

Established Member
i've got mine on 3 all the time, it's to hard to change the rear with my bottle mount in the way on the right side!

mfracing

Established Member
98_snake_bite said:
I set my fronts to 1 and the rears are at 4. That has got me a best of 1.58 for a 60' on ET streets.

i have to try changing the front to #1 next time i go!
the back is just to hard to change so i'll leave them on #3!

Rock777

Established Member
Wouldn't it be best to have it at 1 or 2 for drag racing? I don't really know which is why I'm asking. Also, how do you adjust these? Just starting to learn a little more about the suspension, my car had the tokico 5-ways on it when I bought it and haven't messed with it yet.

mfracing

Established Member
on top there's a slotted dial with numbers. you need a little srew driver to turn the slot to the number you want. i think 1 is hard and 5 is soft.

Rock777

Established Member
mfracing said:
on top there's a slotted dial with numbers. you need a little srew driver to turn the slot to the number you want. i think 1 is hard and 5 is soft.

I finally found the adjustment last night after messing with it. I was thinking you accessed the adjustment from under the car, but obviously I found out it is through the trunk. Anyway, I think 5 is firm and 1 is soft from what I've read on other threads, but correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the help as well.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Start soft as they go, try a few launches and see how it feels. Then just duplicate the launches on progressively firmer settings until you feel the car start to unload. When it does that just soften it back up to the next softer setting and that should get you predictable launches at any rate.

Flynnt

Established Member
How do you guys like these shocks/struts? I'm considering buying a set very soon. The ones on my Cobra are probably original and it has 178,000KMs on it... The quad shocks were completely toast.

Rock777

Established Member
Flynnt said:
How do you guys like these shocks/struts? I'm considering buying a set very soon. The ones on my Cobra are probably original and it has 178,000KMs on it... The quad shocks were completely toast.

I'm pretty happy with mine. The adjustability is nice. Only gripe is it is difficult to tell what you are actually setting them at, there is no arrow or anything that points to the setting. Someone else on here might know something about that that I don't though. Overall, I would get them again.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
There is a D shape on top of the shock where the adjustment screw is. There should be a little numbered ring on top of that, which only goes on one way due to the D shape. There is also an > on the top of the adjustment screw which will point to a number on the trim piece on the shock I was just talking about.

Rock777

Established Member
GR8WHITE said:
There is a D shape on top of the shock where the adjustment screw is. There should be a little numbered ring on top of that, which only goes on one way due to the D shape. There is also an > on the top of the adjustment screw which will point to a number on the trim piece on the shock I was just talking about.

I'm with ya all the way to the > on the adjustment screw. One of a few things: either I don't have one, it is worn off so you can't see it, or it is so faint that you can't see it since it is already difficult to read being in the position under the trunk. Thanks though, at least I know there is a way of telling.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Let me correct myself. At the end of the straight slot there are two marks, one on either side of the straight slot for the adjustment screwdriver. I say that to get to this. You could point one end to 5 and see how stiff that is then turn it 180 until the other side points to 5 and see how that changes it, softer or stiffer. If the pointer mark and setting numbers are both worn off you could get another trim rpiece with numbers on it from Tokico I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread