Today's Lesson From Your Friends at Ill-Advised Physics

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Today's Lesson From Your Friends at Ill-Advised Physics:

Repairing Vacuum Tubes!

They _say_ you can't repair vacuum tubes. Well, _I_ just did!

Though I can't advise anyone else try it. And it didn't work very well. So tomorrow night we're going to see if one can solder pins back on a 60-year old vacuum tube and get better results, since it's already all torn up anyhow.

And, as a responsible business person, I feel also I should say: the tubes in all new Ill-Advised Physics amps are new, unbroken, non-repair-requiring tubes, ready to rock n'roll.
Furthermore, without equivocation or qualification, I can categorically state that sixty-year old Vacuum tubes should not be modified at 05:30 in the morning, when one is heading out the door for one's day-job, and one cannot find their glasses to see up close, and is otherwise in a hurry. Because that then necessitates the need for vacuum tube repairing. Correlation is not always causation, but trust me, we've got a 100% lock, in this case.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
B2873CD3-C059-412E-A4FA-D8F0F0EBE5C0.jpeg

98slowbra

Established Member
Those old tubes can be worth a ton of money, since I am 47 and have loved Hi-Fi since I was a kid I know what you mean about vacuum tubes for amps, those old tubes are the best and can not be found anymore.

98slowbra

Established Member
I bet, I wish I keep a few of the mono amps I had, but I was dumb and got rid of them, they are still unbeatable in sound to this day cause of the Tubes, you can not beat a old tube amp for anything, the days of the mono tube amps, a amp for each speaker back then they rocked the house that was for sure and they always were under rated for power output.

Users who are viewing this thread