Today is the day...K-member/header install

2001asp

Established Member
I have given my self a 3 day buffer for removing and installing: Kooks headers, K-member, new koni shocks, front coilovers, new rear springs, front and rear bump steer, front cc plates.....wish me luckkkk:thumbsup:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
If you are anything like me, you will need longer than 3 days unless you have some help. I'm experienced but slow:) Do the rear springs by dropping the rear subframe of the IRS. Just make sure that you have the car evenly on the jack stands first and it should wing right back up. Make sure you route the steering shaft and oil dipstick tube before putting the k back in. Good luck.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
The suspension in the front will take the longest since you are going to be swaping out spindles, etc...
The kooks headers arent bad but you do have to remove the motor mount on the driverside to reinstall the oil dipstick tube.

All in all it not that back, take your time.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
That is a fun project. Bumpsteering the front/rear will take as long as installing the Kmember and should be done after the caster and ride height is set as both will affect the bumpsteering.

2001asp

Established Member
Hey guys, well the Headers are in and torqued, dipstick is in but a little crooked in the hole, Will I have leaking problem if the gasket is not true? I put new ford motor mounts in too. My knuckles are a little scratched up but not bad. The K-member is in, but not square. The engine is crooked too. Any advice on squaring this up other then plumb-bobs. I will be buying some this morning. Any advice on the method of pushing the K-member around to get it true...ie big mallet, come-along, brute force. My plan right now is to get the car perfectly straight right now as its off. then get the motor true, then work the plumb bobs. BTW, the car was in a wreck two years ago. I took a direct hit from a guy in the Drivers side front end pushing the wheel under the car a good ways. I saw on the MM website that on their coilover kit they use a bumpstop on their koni struts. I have koni struts, but notthe bumpstops...anythoughts...are they really needed? The coilovers that I have are the UPR with the 12-350 spring. MM uses a 10inch spring. I think I will be ok without. calling UPR

Last edited:

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Hey guys, well the Headers are in and torqued, dipstick is in but a little crooked in the hole, Will I have leaking problem if the gasket is not true? I put new ford motor mounts in too. My knuckles are a little scratched up but not bad. The K-member is in, but not square. The engine is crooked too. Any advice on squaring this up other then plumb-bobs. I will be buying some this morning. Any advice on the method of pushing the K-member around to get it true...ie big mallet, come-along, brute force. My plan right now is to get the car perfectly straight right now as its off. then get the motor true, then work the plumb bobs. BTW, the car was in a wreck two years ago. I took a direct hit from a guy in the Drivers side front end sending the wheel under the car a good ways.

Did a competent shop fix it? Was an aligment done and was it done properly? If they answer is yes then you should be ok. K member squaring sucks. I used heavy rubber mallets to move it, but I did it with motor suspended. I would square the K member first then bolt on the motor. Its just so much easier to move that way. Is the motor crooked because of the k member? Remember it needs to be squared on both sides and centered properly. I did the MM K member and followed their directions and had no problems. If you see any marks on the chassis from the stock K member then you can try to get the new one as close to those as possible to start.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
What do you mean by the motor is crooked? There are alignment tabs on the motor mounts that should fit through holes on the k, at least the stock one is like that. Hit the top of the dipstick with a mallet. Don't hit it too hard, but you should jam it into the hole all the way. Then, give it a good schmear of silicone around the base to seal it.

2001asp

Established Member
K is in and straight and center off by only 1/16....Headers are in all torqued, mm cc plates installed, steering rack installed, coil-overs assembled and installed and torqued, Bumpsteer assembled, but waiting for weight on wheels, new motor mounts installed and torqued, spindles are torqued, all I have left is kooks x pipe and alignment...Body is sore....Pics tonight......

Last edited:

2001asp

Established Member
Motor got crooked when we jacked up the car, the fix was to jack up the low side until even. Even after we torqued the motor mounts she went a little crooked... its looks ok though...only a little

2001asp

Established Member
Sorry no pics yet. I installed the x pipe and I must say that the Kooks x-pipe is a very nice piece. It really sits up high. The hardware that comes with it sucks bad. I also snapped my 3 inch exhaust D-ring. I was over tightening them. I also had to replace one of my O2 sensors. I finished up a few little nick nacks. Tomarrow I will replace the D-ring, install the calipers & disks. Then put the wheel shrouds and tires on and lastly adjust the shocks and coilovers. A full nights work. Lastly we fired up the car tonight and it does sound nice under throttle with out cats. I will have the metallic cats installed later on. I am whooped...good night

Users who are viewing this thread