TOB, TOB, Mother F***ing TOB

BLK_03

Established Member
Just started squealing again. AHHHHHHH:gt: :gt: :gt:

Replaced once at 4500 miles (no new tranny, retainer sleeve was supposedly OK). Now has 8,000 miles

WTF? I absolutely love this car but this sucks!!!

Should I buy one of these spec composite pieces for the dealership to put in?

I was seriously thinking pulley/predator before this. Glad I waited, I guess:shrug:

CobraTone

Established Member
Does it squeal constantly? Mine squeels when I barely touch the clutch pedal with my foot, but it stops when I either fully engage or disengage.

BLK_03

Established Member
Constantly? Not really. It squeals at times with the pedal to the floor and at times with my foot off of the pedal. If I SLOWLY press the clutch pedal down I can pretty much always make it squeal.

This freakin' TOB deal weighs pretty heavily on my shoulders. I mean, seriously, am I gonna have to replace this thing every 4K miles.

Networking guru, where are you?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
BLK_03 sorry to hear about the trouble bro :(

I swore my clutch felt like it was slipping & i had my squeel after 5k miles on her. Never got worse so never went to the dealer...like they know how to fix things right :rolleyes:

So decided to go with the SpecII & i dont regret it. I also wanted to check the issue with the Retainer Sleeve & Input Shaft...which all is fine. Consider my self lucky compared to Bryan or P.

Now the SpecII makes the noise as well but not as loud....but from what Bingo13 is saying....it should go away. I trust in what he says.
It chatters a bit louder then the stock but i can live with it.

Trust me i undertsand the situation were as u would feel a bit embarresed when stopped at a light & it decides to squeel :bash:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
What does the squeal sound like? Chalk on the board? Squeaky wheel? Seriously, maybe we need a sound library so we can hear all the noises with this beast.

With the exception of the "puddlejumper" vibe and the "marbles in a can" trannie gear rollover, I don't know what sounds are normal and what sounds are "holy sh*t we need to take the snake to the doctor!"

SStupid

Established Member
TOB

16,000 miles - New tranny/TOB/clutch plate/pressure plate.
16,250 miles - New TOB. Replacement listed previously was bent
and causing my clutch pedal to vibrate.
17,000 miles - TOB has begun to squeal every once in a while.
The squeak sounds like a hamster wheel.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I don't know what to tell you guys. I don't have enough miles on the SPEC TOB and he new retainer yet to make a positive determination of whether or not that solves the problem. I have no squeel so far, but it's only been 200 miles or so. If I were you, I would keep letting Ford replace the tranny for as long as they will. It will probably be 2-3 more months before I can give you an accurate answer on whether or not the new parts solve the problem.

Sorry. :shrug:

Silver 03 Cobra

It starts out as a high pitched squeal. If you have bad hearing in the high frequency range (tinnitis), you may not hear it at first. Eventually it will progress till it sounds like the tin man doing the hoola hoop with a steel rim. At that point your retainer is in peril.

More people need to complain to Ford. Mods or racing can not hurt a TOB. There is no power translated through the fingers onto the pressure plate and dropping a clutch does less wear/harm to a TOB than slipping or riding the clutch. Call SVT and complain.

Users who are viewing this thread